Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Im in the dock tomorrow.......

• 20-01-2010 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭

I got caught in dec 08 speeding....i got no fine in the post.....in dec 09! i got 8 summons from the local garda station,,,no ins,failure to produce....ect..I showed garda all documents at the scene....????? what do i tell the judge in brunswick street tomorrow at 2pm....any ideas???? plllleeeaaase..............:eek:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Tell the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

LOL

Read your own fortune and you might find out. :D (@ user handle )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭fortuneteller

good reply,must look in the crystal ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

tell him u were running late for mass:D

I heard this place is pretty daunting...have 6 points already really cant afford another 4....The guard in question wont answer my calls......Cant get another 4 i drive for a living so its too risky....Truth is everyone is saying that now...didnt get it judge......

• Advertisement

I heard this place is pretty daunting...have 6 points already really cant afford another 4....The guard in question wont answer my calls......Cant get another 4 i drive for a living so its too risky....Truth is everyone is saying that now...didnt get it judge......
    Probably shouldn't have been speeding then.

go away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

You tell them the truth.

Explain your side of the story, bring proof that your car was insured and taxed. Inform the judge that you had all relevant documentation with you at the scene and were not asked to produce. Also inform them that you never received the fine and would have paid it had you gotten the notices - bring the money for the fine with you to court.

The judge will side with you or they won't, there is no need for a solicitor to fight your battle IMO so save yourself some money :)

Best of luck, and next time don't throw the notices in the bin :p

*Edit: Calling MagicMarker a clown for stating the obvious wouldn't be the smartest thing to do in my book. It's your lack of smarts that got you into this mess too btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Pray
    Plead guilty
    Show remorse
    Pray
    Stop speeding
    Good luck

Btw, if you ease up on the punctuation marks your posts are easier to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

Very bloody helpful :rolleyes:

Make sure and listen in court as they run through the cases very fast and can be easy to get skipped if you dont stand up in time.

Also speak up so the judge can hear you. Also they may offer you free legal aid if you dont have your own solicitor present.

Be very apologetic and stress that you need the wheels for work and your very sorry but to be honest expect the 4 points and a fine of anything between 500 - 800euro depending on the humour of the judge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I got caught in dec 08 speeding....i got no fine in the post.....in dec 09! i got 8 summons from the local garda station,,,no ins,failure to produce....ect..I showed garda all documents at the scene....????? what do i tell the judge in brunswick street tomorrow at 2pm....any ideas???? plllleeeaaase..............:eek:

I had a similar summons last year....bring all your documents and produce them when you are called, or if you see the guard that is prosecuting you show them to him/her,,,,,if all is up to date (for the date you were caught) then all will be struck out bar the speeding...i was left with a €150 fine for the one offence i was left with. Dress well and be polite.

Thanks,for your input yer man had nothing to say except brainless smarm....so i aint sorry i stated the obvious he is a clown.....

Thanks a mill.......

you will get double points by the way, shortly after you pay the fine. No way out of that one, personally i took them and ran!! felt it was better than the 12 summonses i was issued that day!!!

Thanks,for your input yer man had nothing to say except brainless smarm....so i aint sorry i stated the obvious he is a clown.....
    If you drive for a living then you shouldn't be pissing and moaning about getting points on your licence for speeding. If you got 3 points tomorrow then you have one chance left, if you fúck it up then that's your job gone.

Oh yeah, I'm the clown alright. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

The two posts above are very helpful poster. I was in same court a few years ago without a solicitor. i turned up in time, listened carefully and stood up when case turned up. It was for speeding down the quays and running two red lights in a truck!!!!!!!!!!. The guard made mistakes in the summons which i pointed out to the judge nicley... He gave me a good telling of and i acted like a innocent country boy and he struck out all charges. Just be nice and smile and look well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

best of luck by the way post to let us know how you got on..Thats if your allowed out!!!:);)

Oh yeah, definitely dress properly - suit up if you can. Don't show up in tracksuit bottoms,runners and a t-shirt or you'll have practically lost before you're heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

If you've nothing constructive to add then best not post.

Oh yeah, definitely dress properly - suit up if you can. Don't show up in tracksuit bottoms,runners and a t-shirt or you'll have practically lost before you're heard.

lol youl be the only lad in a suit so like the day I was there. all the scum a the earth trapsing in and out in trackies.
    But yep you should dress smart, show ya made an effort.

• Advertisement

I dont know who you are magicmaker but your the only one on here thats being un helpful...do me a favour and run along.theres a good lass..............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I dont know who you are magicmaker but your the only one on here thats being un helpful...do me a favour and run along.theres a good lass..............
    This is the last warning for both of you, next time it'll be a week off.

It's not a snobbish thing to say or anything but wearng a suit will put you in a different catagory. A better one!! Also expect a long day...they never run to schedule but assume they will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭kyote00

If you are worried about your license then you should really get a solicitor.

If the 6 points you already have are for speeding, then you are not leaving the judge much wiggle room to let off "just the once"....

Where and how fast over the limit were you ?

Appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

One thing you will need is a brief. If you have a summons for insurance, this would be serious enough - probably a 1k fine or suspended sentence if you have form for traffic offences.

As regards the other ones no point argueing them unless you win the insurance one first as this would anger the judge and probably get you worse penalties.

best thing is to check when you get to the court if the Garda is going to be around, if he doesn't turn up you would be entitled to a strike out, just dont allow the state to get an adjournment in this case....

good luck dont worry about suits makes no difference whatsoever....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭kyote00

Jaysus - you don't do humble very well....let us know how you get on. PS I was advising you to get a solicitor - he/she will know the story....

Still what speed were you doing ? if its just a few kmph then you might scrape through....
    Appreciate it

1 thing you will need is a brief if you have a summons for insurance,this would be serious enuff prob a 1k fine or suspended sentence if you ave form for traffic offences

as regards the other ones no point argueing them unless you win the insurance 1 first as this would anger the judge and prob get you worse penaltys

The OP told us the others were bogus summons and they were covered. He shouldn't need a solicitor for those.

Now if the OP was actually lying and hasn't got their affairs in order then yes, I would suggest a solicitor.
    Hoffmans wrote: »
    good luck dont worry bout suits makes no difference whatsoever....

Yeah right, have you ever seen somebody dressed like a scummer get off on a Judge's discretion? I haven't...

I didn't bother with a solicitor, if all your papers are in order the insurance should not be an issue.I would recommend learning the lingo as it pisses off judges when you have no legal aid and you cannot deal with what's happening. It's a bit daunting being asked "what do yu plead?"......you will have to plead guilty for the speeding but not for everthing else. Make sure you stress you did produce your documents at the time.

• Advertisement

Hi, ya i was caught doing 70km in a 50km at the entrance to the port tunnel northbound..I showed all my documents at the scene including my liscence,insurance,nct,tax,,,,:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

20 kmph isn't much over the limit but with the previous points it looks grim.

Thanks Anan, I couldn't make out that post above.

Magnus wrote: »
    20 kmph isn't much over the limit but with the previous point it looks grim.
    Your right !

The OP told us the others were bogus summons and they were covered. He shouldn't need a solicitor for those.

Now if the OP was actually lying and hasn't got their affairs in order then yes, I would suggest a solicitor.

Yeah right, have you ever seen somebody dressed like a scummer get off on a Judge's discretion? I haven't...
    true..insurance offences for scummers are a lot more serious so best to distinguish yourself as a law abiding person who made a mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

Magnus wrote: »
    20 kmph isn't much over the limit but with the previous points it looks grim.

Thanks Anan, I couldn't make out that post above.
    20 kmh over the limit is a lot considering the garda use a 10% tolerance. Did you not learn to play nice after your 6 points? What are they for

kwalshe wrote: »
    20 kmh over the limit is a lot considering the garda use a 10% tolerance. Did you not learn to play nice after your 6 points? What are they for
    Doing 85km in a 70 on glenamuck road carraigmines at 10pm..2 points...undue care...2 points...phone ...2 points... All in the space of 1 year driving in dublin...been driving for a living 22 years. had clean licence till i started working in dublin a year ago..if i get convicted tomorrow thats me back to the sticks till those points are gone....maybe i just need time out

• Advertisement

kwalshe wrote: »

20km/h over a 50km/h limit is definitely large when the speeding amount is viewed as a percentage of the limit and 70km/h in a place like the Port Tunnel isn't anywhere near as dangerous as 70km/h in a housing estate. Still though, it was above the 10% tolerance as you say but keep in mind that 10% is only there because your speedometer isn't the same as the gun and both will have different readings - not to give you leeway into speeding "within the law" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭TheColl

Doing 85km in a 70 on glenamuck road carraigmines at 10pm..2 points...undue care...2 points...phone ...2 points... All in the space of 1 year driving in dublin...been driving for a living 22 years. had clean licence till i started working in dublin a year ago..if i get convicted tomorrow thats me back to the sticks till those points are gone....maybe i just need time out

judge prob won't look too favourably on that... 6 points in a year and now your current situation. and as said above, 20kmph might not seem like a lot, but driving at 70 in a 50 zone is almost 30% over the limit. i reckon you'll be lucky to get off lightly mate, but good luck. whatever happens, learn a lesson from it for your own sake.

EDIT:
    Doing 85km in a 70 on glenamuck road carraigmines at 10pm..2 points

a 70kmph zone? never knew there was such thing!

Yes I have! I saw 7 in tracksuits walk out with warning the day I was in court.

Guy in suit wasnt so lucky, they must of thought he could afford a big fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Clare_Guy

I didn't bother with a solicitor, if all your papers are in order the insurance should not be an issue.I would recommend learning the lingo as it pisses off judges when you have no legal aid and you cannot deal with what's happening. It's a bit daunting being asked "what do yu plead?"......you will have to plead guilty for the speeding but not for everthing else. Make sure you stress you did produce your documents at the time.

Get a solicitor, watch the other cases and choose a solicitor who is confident and speaks clearly, ask him to represent you. You need a solicitor because you have to be cross examined under oath. Under oath tell the judge that you didn't receive the fines, just the summons. If he accepts that then there's a good chance he'll strike them out because your due process has been compromised.

I've said this on here several times before, the odds are in your favour, that your case will be struck out for any one of several reasons, if you go to court rather than simply paying fines and accepting points. This has been my policy for all the years I've been driving, and I am points free.

And one benefit of "the current economic climate" is the reduction of overtime for gardai, this means that there is a reasonable chance that the prosecuting garda may not be able to turn up for a court appearance. Not a lot of people are aware of that... :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭baubl

what speed were you driving at, and was it busy at the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭TheColl

how did you get on OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Doing 85km in a 70 on glenamuck road carraigmines at 10pm..2 points...undue care...2 points...phone ...2 points...
    I can never understand why people who drive for a living do not have a hands free kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

oldyouth wrote: »
    I can never understand why people who drive for a living do not have a hands free kit.

...indeed....but you won't find one in a GTC car, either......so figure that out: Do As I Say, Not Do As I Do......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...indeed....but you won't find one in a GTC car, either......so figure that out: Do As I Say, Not Do As I Do......

That is so true, often see the guards on the phone while driving, course they need them for their job and are above the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

That is so true, often see the guards on the phone while driving, course they need them for their job and are above the law.

thats not the point, they aren't above the law and stupidly their cars aren't supplied with them... they also have to chase muppets all day yet get no actual driving training bar personal experience ( which is a steep learning curve )

On topic: op was caught red handed, take what you get and move on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

Its in the irish statute book that ANY calls from/to a garda using a mobile phone is exempt from the points.

This includes any member of the public ringing a garda station from their mobile phone when still driving to report eg stupid/dangerous driving!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Sorry, perhaps I am slow. On the interweb super highway thingy, I got a wireless handsfree for €30. Did I do something wrong????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

The Gardai are not the lawmakers.

70kph is 40% over a 50kph limit (20 is 40% of 50) so it's pretty serious speeding. The OP should bring legal support and be prepared to lose his license. I wonder how he got on......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

nipplenuts wrote: »
    The Gardai are not the lawmakers.

I know, I'm not saying they are. From a practical point of view, irrespective of any exception they (shouldn't, but that's story.........) enjoy, then they should give leadership by practicing what is only common sense: no phones whilst driving.
    I wonder how he got on......

+1 on that.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Scania580

Hi everyone,went to court on thursday last , got 325 euro fine and 4 points.other charges were struck out. i explaned to judge that i never recieved fixed penalty but he just ignored me and kept asking me,,are you guilty or not guilty.He let a guy before me off a mobile phone charge when he told the same story... i feel very hard done by and am appealing it...im fortuneteller.

• Advertisement
Advertisement