Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Takeaways near Cherrywood?

Options
  • 20-01-2010 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Does anyone know of any Chinese takeaways that do delivery near Cherrywood in Dublin?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

In my personal view the ONLY chinese anywhere in a reasonable radius is Manleys in Ballybrack shopping centre.

Over the last 5 years tried everything from Shankill to Dun Laoire to Dalkey and keep going back to Manleys.

If anyone else have recommendations I look forward to them too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

redman wrote: »
    In my personal view the ONLY chinese anywhere in a reasonable radius is Manleys in Ballybrack shopping centre.

Over the last 5 years tried everything from Shankill to Dun Laoire to Dalkey and keep going back to Manleys.

If anyone else have recommendations I look forward to them too!

+1 on manley, i ate there non stop when i lived in druids valley

• Registered Users Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Not Chinese, but Thai - Pattaya Thai in Cabinteely also do a pretty large selection of Chinese dishes (eat in, and take-away). Less gloopy than your typical Chinese takeaway, but still not a patch on the Capel Street restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Over the last 5 years tried everything from Shankill to Dun Laoire to Dalkey and keep going back to Manleys
    Thats odd, I find most of them to be quite similar, in fact Manleys is the only one I hear of people avoiding, though I like them. I think my mates avoid in a "familiarity grows contempt" kind of way it was the closest one to most of us growing up. What do you get/recommend there?

And OP what would you usually get, I would get certain dishes in certain takeaways.

There is a fair lot of takeaways in the area. I heard of one in glasthule getting good reports. I like the new one in killiney shopping centre, the green dragon well. Eternal in cournelscourt has been grand so far. I find Kambo in ballybrack village is similar enough to manleys. I have not been in "the village" in ballybrack village, another newbie. Never heard a complaint about lees kitchen in dalkey.

Manleys is probably the cheapest of them all, good man George!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

We tried the one in Killiney S.C. after it was open a fews and found our dishes so bad we threw them away and went back to Manleys!
    Keen to find somewhere else with a fresh menu.
    Pattaya is good but expensive
    Lees is Dalkey is good but a bit of a distance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Clementine

I think Manleys is horrible, very gloopy and MSGed to the max. Lovely staff though! :)

Kambo and The Village in Ballybrack village are grand- good price and not too gloopy. They're both owned by the same guy and have the same menu (and are across the road from each other) so doesn't matter which one you order from.

There's a Chinese down on the N11 underneath the Cherrywood flyover (roughly), can't remember the name but it was decent too last time I ate from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Clementine wrote: »
    There's a Chinese down on the N11 underneath the Cherrywood flyover (roughly), can't remember the name but it was decent too last time I ate from there.
    Used to be good, but I think it's been closed for a good while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

We tried the one in Killiney S.C. after it was open a fews and found our dishes so bad we threw them away and went back to Manleys!
    Thats strange, could not imagine people throwing out stuff from there, I have been in the restaraunt and got takeaway from there, have seen about 8 different dishes and all looked fine with no complaints.

What did you get in killiney SC (green dragon well) & what do you usually get in Manleys.
    Clementine wrote: »
    I think Manleys is horrible, very gloopy and MSGed to the max.
    I have heard the MSG comment before, maybe thats what redman likes! I love MSG myself, used to have a bag of it. I know a few chicken ball fans who say they are too big & stodgy, I like that sometimes they are like mini doughnuts.

I wish Chinese places would have photos or better descriptions, I was in china and many places had plates behind glass to look at, or covered in clingfilm so you knew what to expect. Most people are extremely unadventurous and get the same old same old. Like young lads scouring the menu for 10mins and then "hmm chicken balls, curry sauce & chips".

I got Kambos Chicken Mamma Mi Goreng last night, was nice but too little chicken, very thin fried noodles with peanut butter, the chefs specials are the only ones with decent descriptions, it said tomato sauce but there was very little (which was good for me) would get it again.

If you don't like gloopy many of Manleys things have no sauce. The singapore chow mein is very nice, they also do a dry chicken chow mein. The cantonese chicken is a breast in 2-3 slices in light batter with spring onions & onions & chilli, the shredded chicken & chilli & salt is similar but tiny bits of chicken, then stir fried chicken chilli & salt is like a breaded chicken fillet then chopped up and fried with the same dry mix of veg.

In Manleys I got chicken with beansprouts once and it was beansprouts & their BBQ sauce -I think this would be very popular but nobody knows what it is, I think many think it will be just chicken, beansprouts and little else. Kung po chicken has plenty of cashews, I love cashews but chicken & cashews is too bland for my liking.

The most authentic Chinese dish in Manleys is the batter sausage & chips ;) it is like white pudding in chicken ball batter, I love them! often sold out of them as they are only €3 with the chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Ihackedboardz

Imperial ( 012946938) at Leopardstrown shopping centre (Ballogan road) is fantastic, bit more expensive then your average but you can certainly taste the diff, also the one at cornelcourt village isn't too bad, think it's called eternal (012896242)...

Advertisement