Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laying paving

• 20-01-2010 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi thinking of laying some patio paving at the back of the house.. So no car's will be on it just human traffic, what i've heard is correct me if i'm wrong is remove 3 to 4" of soil away, lay hard core wack it, sand (somepeople are using dust whats the difference) about 2", wack it then lay paving.. Slabs are about 12" square, Anybody got advice for me or links on how its done,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

http://www.pavingexpert.com/layflag1.htm

some good advice here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

In my case, the ground was very soft and was dug out to a depth of 18 inches, with hard core, 804, sand put down in that order and compressed by a 6 tonne digger and then a whacker. However as the paving was laid during May/June last year, the sand got soaked from the rain and when the paving was being whacked down, it went through the sand sp it had to be taken up again and dry sand put down. Moral of the story, have a firm base of soil, 804 and dry sand to lay paving on or you'll have to redo it.

Advertisement