Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thanks-Lock

Options
  • 20-01-2010 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭

New Feature? You can't thank posts in a locked thread anymore.

I liked it the old way. Good for thanking Mods for locking threads and/or throwing your hat onto someone's post if you were too late to comment. Cant Thank on Charters anymore either: got in the habit of doing it in a form of signing off saying you've Read it.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Just noticed this myself. I guess it's to stop people encouraging petulant behavior but as you said, it was always good to be able to thank charter posts to show you've read them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

It was a long outstanding bug, got around to fixing it the other day.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Why was it a bug?
    Just seems strange is all. Like some moderator chap locks a thread and you thanks it. Gives the moderator a bit of feedback that it might have been a good call.
    Or on a locked thread you can go back and thank a post you agree with.
    Or locked posts from back in the day can still be thanksed cos they deserve it y'know?
    I dunno.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ye preferred it the 'bugged' way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Thought it was a 'feature'.

I liked it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Thanked before the lock!

Seriously though, I also preferred the old way. Bring back the bug!!!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I also liked the feature where you could look at the list of most thanked posters too, but that is gone as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Why was it a bug?
    Just seems strange is all. Like some moderator chap locks a thread and you thanks it. Gives the moderator a bit of feedback that it might have been a good call.
    Or locked posts from back in the day can still be thanksed cos they deserve it y'know?
    I dunno.

+1 to the above. It was a very handy feature-bug.

Were there any complaints about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

Bring back the bug ...... thanks:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Ross wrote: »

Silly person fixing things that don't need fixing.. :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah..should be fixing vbulletin exploits it seems :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

yeah agree. what is the tendency to lock thread after just a page. smells of over zealousness tbh. Its not a virus outbreak

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Better the old way, the lock will stop any mupperty on the thread , no need to stop the thanks.

Yeah..should be fixing vbulletin exploits it seems :p
    ohsnap.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I liked it the old way too. :( Please insert more bugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Bring back the bug!

cars_vw_beetle.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

5starpool wrote: »
    I also liked the feature where you could look at the list of most thanked posters too, but that is gone as well.

Stop it, really I don't want to have to go sort out another set of bribes if that resurfaces.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Stop it, really I don't want to have to go sort out another set of bribes if that resurfaces.

But you were number 1.
    I should know.
    I was 2nd.
    Now who knows where I am.
    :(
    It was my reason for living.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

you can lock this thread now too lads ;)

• Advertisement

dr.bollocko I am are of that, far too aware, so am all the more glad that it can't be pointed at as easily and used by people to make stroppy statements.

/compares thanks epenis with dr.bollocko's. ;)

Why was it a bug?
    I dunno.
    The reason I considered it a bug is because it's outside the "posting" permission system.

Honestly, I didn't think it would provoke much of a reaction, I was largely considering the case of the passive aggressive people who "thank" posts in locked threads as a virtual middle finger to other posters/moderators.

Now that you mention it though, I guess moderators have the option of deleting those threads/posts in any case. Will have a look at it again when I have a bit more free time (bit of a full week, as you can imagine).

Thanks for the feedback :)

The reason I considered it a bug is because it's outside the "posting" permission system.

Honestly, I didn't think it would provoke much of a reaction, I was largely considering the case of the passive aggressive people who "thank" posts in locked threads as a virtual middle finger to other posters/moderators.

Now that you mention it though, I guess moderators have the option of deleting those threads/posts in any case. Will have a look at it again when I have a bit more free time (bit of a full week, as you can imagine).

Thanks for the feedback :)

:(

Anything which changes how people post and contribute and express them on the site if when curtailed esp with out notice or reason why will cause a reaction.

I get the reasons but do think that it's a case of stopping a thousand posters from doing it cos 1 arsehole did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I used to use it if another Mod had locked a thread in ART - I'd thank thier "lock post" to say thanks to them for doing it and show that I agreed with the decision (in case the poster wanted to appeal)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

this ^ needs an anti-thanks :D
    ..if it aint broke dont fix it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Distinct stale whiff of Cuckoo's nest off this one.

Lock her up lads ;);)

OscarBravo wrote:
    Cheers Frada. Closing this one as there's already a thread on the subject.

THANKS OSCAR!

I would have told you that on the thread you locked, but I couldn't! :(

Thanks for the feedback
    Yeah I recall some incidents.

From a technical standpoint, it would be difficult to disable thanks on infracted posts im assuming.
    But for every 1 of those passive aggressive cases theres 100 positive uses of the locked thanks.

Overheal wrote: »
    THANKS OSCAR!

I would have told you that on the thread you locked, but I couldn't! :(
    Yeah I recall some incidents.

From a technical standpoint, it would be difficult to disable thanks on infracted posts im assuming.
    But for every 1 of those passive aggressive cases theres 100 positive uses of the locked thanks.

100? really? It's amazing the sort of cargo cult stuff that develops around software design decisions.

I imagine disabling on infracted posts would be tricky alright. It's not a big deal to change the behaviour, I just failed to consider all aspects, which I tend to do with stuff occasionally. Alas, you're stuck with me for now!

Some people seem to take these things as a personal offence, which is unfortunate. Unless they're the passive aggressive trolls of course, in which case, its purpose has been served :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

thing is, if it was an ability to write to a thread that was locked (adding thanks) because it exists outside of the posting permissions would having this open expose the database to vulnerability? Does the act of adding a thanks actually modify the database record at all?

I'm not a database person hence the question mark :)

• Advertisement

If a troll thanks an infracted post it's pretty easy to just add them to the list of trolls to keep an eye on tbh. Still useful information if unfortunately gathered.

Advertisement