Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anywhere Quiet to Study?

Options
  • 20-01-2010 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭

I can never seem to get any study done at home, too many distractions (internet, for example; hello everyone). Is there anywhere in town that's open? I know the library's open until eight in the middle of the week, but half the time there's a book launch or a poetry reading or something, and the staff, bless 'em, aren't the quietest telephone users during the day.

There is the Hardiman in NUI-G, but I'm not a student there anymore and can't get in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

the reading rooms don't need ID to get in and the library doesn't usually ask for ID at this time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Personally I find the city library a joke for anyone trying to study, even the staff talk at noisy levels! I do however (and this may suit you at time) use the Ballybane library (open 11-1 and 2-5)...so much quieter.. and I second the NUIG library reading rooms :)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

Dunjohn wrote: »

There is the Hardiman in NUI-G, but I'm not a student there anymore and can't get in.
    If you're an ex-student you will be allowed in, unless they have changed their policy. I used to use it for my accounting exams after I had left. I had to get a letter from Admissions confirming that I was a student there previously, and then take it to the library. They gave me a special membership card then, which I was able to renew again the following year.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭F.Galway

The reading rooms are great at off peak times when there arent many study for exams but at other times its full by 8 in the morning! :O
    Galway Library is a joke if it isn't people coughing constantly or secondary school students running around like it's a playground! >:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭unJustMary

The museum has a few chairs in nice places. Not sure about table space though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭smileyme1984

SoulTrader is spot on there, bring a passport photo and a copy of results of degree obtained and they'll direct you at the desk who to take it to, just fill out a few details and you should have your card fairly soon after.

More details on the link below, I did it for accounting exams in the summer and had no problems.
    http://www.library.nuigalway.ie/services/services_for/external_users/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

Personally I find the city library a joke for anyone trying to study, even the staff talk at noisy levels!

Oh lord, do they ever! I find it highly amusing that they have a sign asking people to refrain from using their mobile phones because first of all, people never do. There was a man sitting on the chairs near the front who was bellowing into his phone the other day; the person he was talking to seemed to need everything repeated three or four times. And as for the computer users who have the sound bleeding from their headphones, they make my slapping hand itch. And as for the staff, one of the desk staff's phone rang, she answered it and proceeded to have a loud conversation. Then in the juvenile library, one of the librarians was telling the other about the awful indigestion she got at a wedding and told in detail about how much galviscon she took and how awful it was, etc.

The library certainly has changed from when I was a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Personally I find the city library a joke for anyone trying to study, even the staff talk at noisy levels! I do however (and this may suit you at time) use the Ballybane library (open 11-1 and 2-5)...so much quieter.. and I second the NUIG library reading rooms :)

its sacreligious but you could try a church.

SoulTrader wrote: »
    If you're an ex-student you will be allowed in, unless they have changed their policy. I used to use it for my accounting exams after I had left. I had to get a letter from Admissions confirming that I was a student there previously, and then take it to the library. They gave me a special membership card then, which I was able to renew again the following year.
    true it costs about 50 euro though

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭lumpwood

No its free to go in and have a nice quiet read for graduates, you only have to pay if you want to borrow anything.

http://www.library.nuigalway.ie/services/services_for/external_users/

• Advertisement

lumpwood wrote: »
    No its free to go in and have a nice quiet read for graduates, you only have to pay if you want to borrow anything.

or have a computer account.
    they are always looking for money. maybe i should donate a few million to them and get a building named after myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 r3nm0r3RASCAL

Fuinseog wrote: »
    or have a computer account.
    they are always looking for money. maybe i should donate a few million to them and get a building named after myself.

But it is free?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I was in Athlone and now Im in GMIT and I never used either Library, people are just incapable of shutting up and studying, everyone is on the phone or else in groups of 5 or 6 talking non-stop for hours, whats the point? Just use the canteen ffs. Also the air conditioning sucks in both so when it fills up during study week you cant breath and no fresh air=no recall of facts in exams.

OP the best thing to do and what I always do at exam time is just walk around NUIG or GMIT until you find an empty lecture hall or classroom and just study in there, theres hundreds of empty rooms all over the place and nobody will disturb you or ask you for a student ID, who would? If they asked you they'll have to ask all the other thousands and thousands of students around the place, never going to happen. I lived in Newcastle once and used to always shoot down to NUIG on my days off even though I was never a student there, free internet, free papers and magazines in the library and cheap food in the canteen (This was before that private company started screwing people), it was sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭smileyme1984

But it is free?

To get the membership (access to the library just) is free if you have graduated from the college.

Best way to get free computers is to get the login details for someone you know in NUIG and just use that to access the computers when you need to, you can also get them to take out books for you if you need them (you can use the scanners if you have their Student ID, I think) and then it won't cost you anything, unless you don't give the book back in time and then you owe the friend the fine. That way its all free!!!

Not sure how above board that is but it worked before!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

lumpwood wrote: »

Huh. Didn't know that. I'll have to see if I can find my ancient ID card.

Or maybe a copy of that Alumni thing they keep sending me asking for money.

Cheers, all!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

LucyBliss wrote: »
    Oh lord, do they ever! I find it highly amusing that they have a sign asking people to refrain from using their mobile phones because first of all, people never do. There was a man sitting on the chairs near the front who was bellowing into his phone the other day; the person he was talking to seemed to need everything repeated three or four times.

Be brave and ask him to stop, you will probably win the admiration of many other people in the place who didn't bother, even if he tells you to eff off. It's much safer than trying to do something about antisocial behaviour on the street.

Advertisement