Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

" appearing as �

Options
  • 20-01-2010 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi, I am using NetObjects Fusion to create a very basic website for the first time but am running into trouble when using ". They appear fine in NetObjects and fine in the preview but when I publish the site to the web the " turn into I tried using different fonts and sizes but nothing has worked.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

Try using one of the following bits of code in your code instead of "

quote1.png
    or
    quote2.png

Hope this works

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I'd assume that you're copying and pasting from something horrible like Microsoft Word ?

It changes standard quotes to curved quotes.

Delete whatever quotes it has put in and replace them with the standard "

That should sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Make sure you're serving and encoding your pages as UTF-8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Or if it's body text, keep them with “ and ” ... short for 'left double quote' and 'right double quote'... easy-to-remember-ness for the win. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭alphanumeric

I'd assume that you're copying and pasting from something horrible like Microsoft Word ?

It changes standard quotes to curved quotes.

That should sort it.

Yeah all of the text was copied from MS Word. I will try typing instead and let you know how it goes.

To all the other posters, thanks for your coding but I havent a clue about HTML, NetObjects is supposed to be WYSIWYG but not in this case it seems.

• Advertisement

To all the other posters, thanks for your coding but I havent a clue about HTML, NetObjects is supposed to be WYSIWYG but not in this case it seems.

NetObjects is WYSIWYG. It's not NetObject's fault that Microsoft automatically changed what you typed into incompatible curved quotes.

You said yourself that NetObjects previews it OK.

It's just incompatible with other browsers and standard character encoding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

NetObjects is WYSIWYG. It's not NetObject's fault that Microsoft automatically changed what you typed into incompatible curved quotes.
    Curved quotes are actually the correct quotation marks. The " character we typically use is actually the inch symbol and is really only used as a poor substitute for the real thing because modern keyboards don't have the correct mark.

p wrote: »
    Curved quotes are actually the correct quotation marks. The " character we typically use is actually the inch symbol and is really only used as a poor substitute for the real thing because modern keyboards don't have the correct mark.

If you read it again you'll realise that I said incompatible curved quotes.

If you type in NetObjects, then it'll work as expected.
    If you copy and paste text from MS Word lots of things don't.

That's why I said incompatible.

You said yourself that NetObjects previews it OK.

It's just incompatible with other browsers and standard character encoding.

Hi Liam, I tried creating a new text box on Friday and typed " directly and it still appeared as a square when I uploaded it to the web. Is there a font that works better than others that I should be using???

Thanks.

Is there a font that works better than others that I should be using???

All fonts should have standard straight quotes, if that's what's in the code of the page; so if you "view source" and the quote is already wrong/not present, then it's not a font problem.

• Advertisement

All fonts should have standard straight quotes, if that's what's in the code of the page; so if you "view source" and the quote is already wrong/not present, then it's not a font problem.

Hi Liam, I have just got the problem sorted. I had to insert the " using the insert symbol option rather than typing it. It does the job perfectly. Thanks for your help.

Advertisement