Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The difference between private and state run law enforcment

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Wheely

SLUSK wrote: »
    In a private system it would probably be viewed that you give up all your rights when you break into someones home. So if the homeowner wants to smack him with a cricket bat it should be well within his rights.

Oh is that how it would "probably" be? Well that's good enough for me!!!!

And of course you should be allowed KILL someone who breaks into your home! What's wrong with that!? So bring back the death penalty and impose it on those who breach the Theft and Fraud Offences Act. Brilliant. An eye for an eye. Or an eye for a playstation. Sorry. A LIFE for a playstation. Oh wait! They don't even have to steal anything. If you break the hinges on my door, I can kill you. Man. Pure justice. You are so wise.

How is that worse from the protect career criminals at all cost system we have today?

Short answer. In lots of ways. And that's not what our system does.

Yes if someone breaks into you home the victim should be allowed to punish the perpetrator.

By death? The philosophical way in which you deal with these issues is unparalleled since Socrates himself.

Obviously you could probably find someone willing to help you, people like this are sure to have made a lot of enemies.

You really have thought of every eventuality haven't you? Can I kill Sean Fitzpatrick? Or all AIB employees as they overcharged me?

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭lmtduffy

S-Murph wrote: »
    Where has the free market proved this?

Mad Max.

• Advertisement

Obviously different areas would have different rules, but if you ran around shooting randoms you would be shot yourself. Why can't justice exist without government? Do you think goverment is great at protecting people? Are you serious?

I know. They're NUTS aren't they?:o

The free market system has proved itself vastly superior in supplying goods and services so I can't believe that law enforcement is an area where government could be superior.

Eh........ When? and Where?

I mean..... This guy!!!! Am I right fellas!!??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Obviously the vast majority of people are law abiding so there is more money to be made in protecting them. When you see these career criminals with pages of convictions who are still walking the streets it's obvious that today's law enforcement is all about protecting the scumbags.

In a private run system corporal punishments like they have in Singapore would be very common and that would deter scum from becoming repeat offenders.

If the logic of privatization is that the money is in the protection, I think you've got it backwards. For a real life example: the US has privatized much of its penitentiary system. This has created clear conflicts of interest in the judicial system where there are economic motives for sending people to jail, even if they are innocent. Several judges were convicted of this in Pennsylvania; basically they took bribes from private youth penitentiaries for sending a huge number of kids to jail.

If the logic of privatization is that they would be more harsh than a public system, I would again caution, look at the US. Sentencing has become even more harsh, as has punishment (look at Sheriff Joe in Maricopa County, AZ), with little to no appreciable effect on crime rates.

I don't think I'm following your logic here, at all.

If the logic of privatization is that the money is in the protection, I think you've got it backwards. For a real life example: the US has privatized much of its penitentiary system. This has created clear conflicts of interest in the judicial system where there are economic motives for sending people to jail, even if they are innocent. Several judges were convicted of this in Pennsylvania; basically they took bribes from private youth penitentiaries for sending a huge number of kids to jail.

If the logic of privatization is that they would be more harsh than a public system, I would again caution, look at the US. Sentencing has become even more harsh, as has punishment (look at Sheriff Joe in Maricopa County, AZ), with little to no appreciable effect on crime rates.

I don't think I'm following your logic here, at all.

You cannot follow what is not there Rosie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The Swiss are heavily armed and it seems to be one of the safest places in Europe.
    The Swiss also have high incomes, which means they are less likely to engage in petty crime. The Swiss also tend to follow societal rules and don't reach for guns to solve their problems.

But most of all the Swiss have a working system of state run law enforcement.

Advertisement