Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW engine needed.

• 20-01-2010 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I have a 99 3 series bmw. Can anyone tell me where I can find a 1.8 petrol engine for this car. It has no engine at the moment so its pretty worthless. I'd be grateful of any advice in general about where to look for engine or advice on the car in general.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

John7610 wrote: »
    I have a 99 3 series bmw. Can anyone tell me where I can find a 1.8 petrol engine for this car. It has no engine at the moment so its pretty worthless. I'd be grateful of any advice in general about where to look for engine or advice on the car in general.

Which model of 3 series is it for?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 John7610

Not sure, i havn't actually bought the car yet as i dont have an engine. The person selling it could not find an engine either for 2 years. its a 1.8 you see and most of the common engines are 1.6 or 1.9.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

The "1.8" in the 318 is a 1.9 (and so is the "1.6" in the 316). I'd have thought you could probably put in any engine up to a 3 litre in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Not sure, i havn't actually bought the car yet as i dont have an engine. The person selling it could not find an engine either for 2 years. its a 1.8 you see and most of the common engines are 1.6 or 1.9.

Is it an E36 or E46?
    Is it a coupe, saloon or touring?
    What badge is on the back?

As you know that period was during a model change.

Have you tried running the VIN on real oem to confirm the engine your looking for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,309 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sounds like an E36 to me, possibly an E36 318is coupe. The E46 saloon was on sale from late 1998 and the smallest engine it had was 1.9 litre.

ya, well its 500 to buy the car, got a quote for 1100 euro for a 85k miles enging plus another at least 600 to fit. dont thnk its really worth it considerin u could prob pick 1 of these up for 3000.

Also mechanics say the engines do give trouble>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

If you cant find the 1.8 engine, 1.6 can fit easly enough.
    Done it a few years back to a BMW.
    Bit of a gamble fitting a secondhand engine but can be done.
    Great cars to work on. Good luck and have fun. Let us know how
    you get on.

Muckie wrote: »
    If you cant find the 1.8 engine, 1.6 can fit easly enough.
    Done it a few years back to a BMW.
    Bit of a gamble fitting a secondhand engine but can be done.
    Great cars to work on. Good luck and have fun. Let us know how
    you get on.

why do u say its a gamble???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Because it might be just as bad as the engine that was in the car. They're usually not benchtested unless they're reconditioned, which most secondhand engines aren't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Unless you can get somebody to supply and fit an engine, you'll never get a guarantee that it'll pass NCT emissions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

man

buy a bmw 'with' an engine

i cant understand people doing this craic or putting on sun roofs and after market locking on cars.

a 99bmw is not overly expensive nowadays.

Advertisement