Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short Term Acc in Auckland-Where to Avoid?

Options
  • 21-01-2010 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭

Any advice on areas to avoid/try and get while staying and working Auckland?
    Where is good and safe? Central?
    Where is too far out to live if your commuting to the city center and have no idea
    on how reliable the commuter infrastructure is!
    Arriving end of Feb for 3 months-any advice on Acc in Auckland most appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

so because it's only 3 months, are you looking for a hostel or something better then?

If you're looking at something immediately for a night or two just to sort yourself out, I can tell you I stayed here a while back. I wouldn't really recommend it, it was OK, cheap & safe & right in the city centre. I did leave Auckland with a nasty rash but I cannot say for sure if I got it there! :eek: :o

umm.. maybe you can add that one to your avoid list :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Ok-will def be avoiding that one so...
    Yea looking for something more than a hostel
    Couldnt afford to live in one for 3 months either!

Anyone else???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Where will you be working will determine where you'll want to live. Aucklands quite a big , spread out city with many suburb's so I'd imagine a location closer to work would suit you better. Having said that it has a very good (when it works) train service and bus network coninciding with it.
    I lived in Avondale, West Auckland and had to commute via bus to Onehunga for work every day which depending on traffic could take 20-40 minutes roughly. Rent for our apartment was $325 a week split between 3 poeple so fairly managable, will you be living on your own?
    Most people when I arrived recommended I avoid South Auckland as it's pretty "colourful" at best as its basically the poorer area of Auckland and tends to see more trouble. Never visited there so couldn't say either way really....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Check out ACB or XBase.
    Both very central. Seasonal prices will have kicked in over the new year so not sure what you can expect to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Cheers for that guys
    I have no job sorted yet,
    so am probably gonna be lookin for
    somewhere pretty central to keep my options open
    Is accommodation easy to get? Seems to be a wealth of it online

• Advertisement
Advertisement