Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Student dole over the summer...

• 21-01-2010 12:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

Hi all ive recently become unemployed, at the moment I am a full time student and aged 20... Ive been working and paying around 2,000 in tax a year and have been working since ive been 16...

I know that during college term that I am not entitled to any benefits.
    I was wondering would I be eliged to recieve job seekers benefit during the summer as during the summer I am available to work but have no job.

Any help/advice is much apreciated...

Evd.

Edit - I am unsure if this is in the right section, if it is not can an admin please move it to the apropriate section...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Afraid not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

As a full-time student, you are not entitled to social welfare during your summer holidays.

I would suggest however, that you may be paying tax that you need not pay, i.e. that your cumulative income over the course of a year may not be taxable.

You *may* be entitled to a tax refund. It's hard to say without knowing the details,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

Well that sucks, wonder what the hell im gonna do to pay the bills now :(...

Are you both 100% sure on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭mtbireland

I'm pretty sure you have to have finished studying for a period of six months before you claim any benefit.

There are still a few jobs knocking around out there so I wouldn't rule out finding one before the summer holidays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

mtbireland wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you have to have finished studying for a period of six months before you claim any benefit.
    Incorrect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

You have to have a letter from the collage stating that you have left permanently.

As far as I can see you def should be entitled to a tax refund. Even if you left school at 16 you would have a sizable tax credit for that year.

Try the tax office, bring any P60 you may have, or some old payslips as they will have employer numbers on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

If you have the required number of stamps, you can claim Jobseekers Benefit - you can't however claim Jobseeker's allowance. You can claim Benefit during the summer months only.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61056888&postcount=6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

cAr0l wrote: »
    If you have the required number of stamps, you can claim Jobseekers Benefit - you can't however claim Jobseeker's allowance. You can claim Benefit during the summer months only.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61056888&postcount=6

NO, you can't. Unless you have quit or finished uni/college, you are not entitled to JSA or JSB, because you are not "available for work" as you are a full time student.

OP - why don't you perhaps get a job over the summer, like countless other students? Do you honestly expect the state to give you 196 euro a week pocket money over the summer?

Have moved this thread to 'state benefits'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

did this change recently ?wasnt it always the case you could sign on for the summer months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

yabadabado wrote: »
    did this change recently ?wasnt it always the case you could sign on for the summer months.
    Not for the last 10 - 15 years, anyhoos.

• Advertisement

Thanks all for the input...

Btw of course I intend to get job. Im just searching for information incase that falls through, I dont intend on living off the state.

I'm gonna go and see if I can get my tax back and will go to citizens information while im there to get some proper clarification on the JSB and JSA...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭wench

eth0_ wrote: »
    NO, you can't. Unless you have quit or finished uni/college, you are not entitled to JSA or JSB, because you are not "available for work" as you are a full time student.

Carol is correct, if you have the required stamps paid, then you can claim Jobseeker's Benefit. The student disqualification applies only to JA.

wench wrote: »
    Carol is correct, if you have the required stamps paid, then you can claim Jobseeker's Benefit. The student disqualification applies only to JA.

You can only claim JSA/JSB if you are AVAILABLE FOR WORK. If you're a full time student you are NOT available for work.

Trust me, i've been through this - I stupidly mentioned when I signed on for the first time in November that I had just finished a part time degree (which i'd been doing for a couple of years alongside working full-time) and was waiting to graduate in April...they pretty much said 'no way' to my getting benefits, despite the fact i'd been working full time for the last 8 years. I had to get letters from my university showing I was not a full-time student and had finished my course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

eth0_ wrote: »
    You can only claim JSA/JSB if you are AVAILABLE FOR WORK. If you're a full time student you are NOT available for work.

Trust me, i've been through this - I stupidly mentioned when I signed on for the first time in November that I had just finished a part time degree (which i'd been doing for a couple of years alongside working full-time) and was waiting to graduate in April...they pretty much said 'no way' to my getting benefits, despite the fact i'd been working full time for the last 8 years. I had to get letters from my university showing I was not a full-time student and had finished my course!

You can claim JSB during the summer months when a student, as you are available for work then. However you cannot claim JSA.

@eth0 I hope you got JSB in the end - if not you should have appealed that decision!

cAr0l wrote: »
    You can claim JSB during the summer months when a student, as you are available for work then. However you cannot claim JSA.

@eth0 I hope you got JSB in the end - if not you should have appealed that decision!

Why is it then, that when I was at uni years ago, no one did this, and it was not publicised? This was 10 years ago. Is this a recent thing?

Yep I did get approved for JSB in the end, after I got my uni to fax a letter for me to show the welfare officer.

kinda sucks if I aint able to get it for the couple of weeks when I'll need it. Especially after been paying into the system for so long...

What annoys me most is that I know someone who is creaming the system with rent allowance, Job seekers allowance etc who just isn't bothered working...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

To hijack the thread...

If I defer college for a year, can I claim during that year? Also as I will be a student of 23 years next year when I start back again, can I continue to claim the JSA, or what is that exception to the disqualification I read in the FAQs?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Can I just say in case people don't know, it is possible to claim JSB/JSA while a postgraduate student (presuming you qualify for the normal terms for either) as long as it is a master's by research. This basically means that you do not have lectures on the curriculum, or are required to be present in college - that is you do your thesis in your own time making you available for work. This also applies in two variations:

- if you are doing a taught masters, but the module portions have finished coming up to the summer - but you must get a letter from your college stating that the lectures/exams are finished and only a thesis remains.
    -if you were doing a taught masters, finished the modules and had to defer the thesis to next year, meaning it is essentially a thesis by research again.

Obviously you should still be looking for work and all the other usual conditions, but it is something I was thankfully able to take advantage off. The second scenario happened to me, so I continued to work part-time as my hours had been cut, got JSB and worked on my thesis on the weekends! Crowded year but at least this post might help someone in same situation. Near impossible to find the info though day one!

Advertisement