Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does this look a bit dodgy?

• 21-01-2010 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭

Was looking through driving.ie for a nice Alfa GT, found one that looked promising until the last picture.
    Is it just me or is the gap between the bumper and wing too big?

media?id=9011693&width=400&height=300

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Looks too big to me, and the gap also gets bigger as it gets closer to the wheel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Yes, looks to be damaged. My guess would be he/she parked too near a high kerb and the damage happened whilst reversing away from it. It's not the end of the world and could be used as a haggling point. I'd say it would be easy enough to sort it and have it looking mint again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

Yep she looks like she hit something alright....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Is that a crease on the bottom corner of the bumper ? Could be it caught on a kerb while parking as Hal1 says. Might be easy enough to fix - a bracket might be bent and could be unbent, or a plastic clip has come off and just needs reattached.

Bargaining point for you if you're buying :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Looks like it's riding a bit high, is it not ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I noticed that and that particular car recently while surfing carzone and it had me thinking. Alfa build quality is a hell of lot better than that so it is possible that the bumper was caught on something like a gate and repaired but not hung back on properly. Or worse case was involved in a more serious accident.

Either way I'd be examining that car for other signs of poor repair work with a magnifying glass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

bazz26 wrote: »
    I noticed that and that particular car recently while surfing carzone and it had me thinking. Alfa build quality is a hell of lot better than that so it is possible that the bumper was caught on something like a gate and repaired but not hung back on properly. Or worse case was involved in a more serious accident.

Either way I'd be examining that car for other signs of poor repair work with a magnifying glass.

:eek:

I've seen two Alfa GT's up close (both for two days at a time) and build quality is not something i'd associate with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Seperate wrote: »
    :eek:

I've seen two Alfa GT's up close (both for two days at a time) and build quality is not something i'd associate with them.

I'd be very surprised is a car came out of the factory with a panel gap like that. I've never noticed any modern day Alfa Romeo having a poor fit and finish other than ones with poor quality repair work done. The 159 is very well built.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

Id be more worried about the elliptical shaped wheel, could be a rough ride..

Well Seriously, considering that the photo is warped the gap shouldn't actually be that big

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised is a car came out of the factory with a panel gap like that. I've never noticed any modern day Alfa Romeo having a poor fit and finish other than ones with poor quality repair work done. The 159 is very well built.

I agree it wouldn't leave the factory like that - as someone said, probably a bracket broken from going too close to a kerb or something.

The two I saw had shocking bad paint (from the factory). They were 2yrs almost exactly and 2yrs 4mths old when i saw them and both had rust bubbles in the same places underneath the paint, as well as laquer peel in a few spots.

Both suffered very badly from bolster wear too... but that may or may not have been down to the owners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

Bryn wrote: »
    Looks too big to me, and the gap also gets bigger as it gets closer to the wheel

i also spot an alfa badge *senses serious financial danger*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭cascade35

media?id=9011660&width=400&height=300

It also seems to have some marks on drivers side and take a look at the rear bumper, is that a gap at the bottom?
    The underside of this car would need to be carefully inspected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

cascade35 wrote: »
    media?id=9011660&width=400&height=300

It also seems to have some marks on drivers side and take a look at the rear bumper, is that a gap at the bottom?
    The underside of this car would need to be carefully inspected.

I think the "mark" on the drivers side is a reflection from the miscoloured cobblestone infron of the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

I think the "mark" on the drivers side is a reflection from the miscoloured cobblestone infron of the door.

The "mark" on the driver's door is a reflection of a leaf, the other one is the "Giugaro" badge, I believe.
    Front bumper damage may be a haggling (sp?) point, looks like it was snagged while reversing if you look at the very bottom of the bumper at the wheel arch. Pour over it looking for signs of more serious damage, but otherwise it looks fairly clean.
    Pretty, pretty car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

glaston wrote: »
    Was looking through driving.ie for a nice Alfa GT, found one that looked promising until the last picture.
    Is it just me or is the gap between the bumper and wing too big?

media?id=9011693&width=400&height=300

Yes, but it doesn't look too bad tbh-point it out to them and get them to sort it.

Those wheels look odd for a GT-don't think I've seen them on a GT before (but I have seen them on a 147).

Nice exterior colour, interior is a rare option though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

@OP What's the garage's reputation like? What is the rest of its stock like? these are the things that I would be looking at here..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Car has a Sligo reg so I'm guessing it originated in Martin Reilly Motors, no harm giving them a ring, ask about history of the car.

BTW Have a '06 GT myself, great car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭emcc

Car has a Sligo reg so I'm guessing it originated in Martin Reilly Motors, no harm giving them a ring, ask about history of the car.

BTW Have a '06 GT myself, great car.

A 07 might have been from Coopers after they took over the franchise from Reillys. Gone out of business since though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

cascade35 wrote: »
    take a look at the rear bumper, is that a gap at the bottom?

There's no gap there at all...

However the front bumper has been pushed a bit. It should look like this...

1364581-5.jpg

And there's no gap on the other side of the car
    no-image-large.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭honeymonster

Looking at the two pictures you can see a difference. Looks like it has been pushed in. Mention it and see what they say, but it doesn't look too bad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement