Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before you start dreaming?

Options
  • 21-01-2010 1:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

I have read that it takes a while for a person to enter into a deep enough sleep to start dreaming.
    However, I seem to start dreaming within minutes of closing my eyes.
    I'm lucky enough (or tired enough) that when I'm in bed and planning on going to sleep, I'm under within five minutes - but I go straight into dreams.
    My OH isn't as good a sleeper, and sometimes he wakes me up by moving around (or prodding me to wake me up to keep him company! :rolleyes:) and I'll wake up mid-way in the conversation I had been having in my dream. I could be asleep for two minutes and I'll wake up explaining how you have to hold on to the thicker hairs if you want to catch a ride on a bee's back.
    I was just wondering if anybody else has the same thing happening. It doesn't bother me - in fact, I enjoy my dreams. But nobody amongst my friends dream as much as I do.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I have read that it takes a while for a person to enter into a deep enough sleep to start dreaming.
    However, I seem to start dreaming within minutes of closing my eyes.
    I'm lucky enough (or tired enough) that when I'm in bed and planning on going to sleep, I'm under within five minutes - but I go straight into dreams.
    My OH isn't as good a sleeper, and sometimes he wakes me up by moving around (or prodding me to wake me up to keep him company! :rolleyes:) and I'll wake up mid-way in the conversation I had been having in my dream. I could be asleep for two minutes and I'll wake up explaining how you have to hold on to the thicker hairs if you want to catch a ride on a bee's back.
    I was just wondering if anybody else has the same thing happening. It doesn't bother me - in fact, I enjoy my dreams. But nobody amongst my friends dream as much as I do.

It depends a lot on your imagination and how good it is. I have a tendency to go into a fantasyland just before drifting off, which in some ways is more interesting than the dreams themselves. The other thing is that you probably have a very rapid entry into REM sleep, again a good imagination helps with this. Do you often have complex daydreams or find it easy to relax? If so, that's what is making you dream so quickly. It's a great skill to have, believe me. I've had clients who would try to dream about a specific topic to help them solve a problem in their daily lives. The funny thing is that it worked!

Advertisement