Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Website, feedback appreciated.

• 21-01-2010 2:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

After a fairly decent year in terms of getting payed work, and going back to college having given me a wee bit extra confidence I decided its time to get myself a website and start getting my work "out there" so when i finish up at college ive at least got an online body of work that isnt a mass image dump like my flickr has become!

Anyway, have a look if you please, and let me know what you think etc.

I used www.bigblackbag.com so none of the coding etc is mine, ive basically just uploaded the images etc.
    So if anyone else uses BBB i'd be happy to hear tips on how to customize it a little more.

Anyway here it is, thanks for looking!
    www.mcdougallphoto.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Just seeing a bigblackpage with a tiny gif in the middle. Javascript on too.

Edit: my bad, had to whitelist bigblackbag.net too (some security-conscious noscript users will bug out at the first screen, the attitude is why should they trust this site...).

First off the menu hover is a bit slow to present the submenu options, and hover over a submenu option gives white text on a white background.

On the weddings section, I'd give a description of the packages. Buying should be as easy as falling off a log but there's not enough information there to entice a purchasing decision imho. There's mention of 'we' but it looks suspiciously like a one-man-band who doesn't want to say 'I', if you have staff or a shoot assistant I'd give that a mention.

I'd divide Places into two sub-menus, buy prints and gallery, where buy prints has some sales copy. That way it's clear why you're showing these photos. Similarly have some sales pitch with People, Events & PR.

I'd split contact menu into say phone & email, and contact form.
    hth.

Are you using the free trial?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Cheers Democrates, much appreciated.

I'm not with the free trial anymore, having used a few this one seemed to look the best to my eyes so i went with it, needed something up last week so i was kind of pushed.

Anyway, i see what you mean about the text, packages etc. those are changes i can make easily so i'll try a couple of things to see what works.

I'm not sure about the "Buy prints" section, although i suppose having somewhere that says prints are available wouldnt go amiss.
    Maybe a page detailing my work a little better.

Anyway, thanks for the input!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Is there any way of turning on a setting that allows you to grab the address of the photo in the address bar. As a browser I like to be able to copy the address of a page to send to people with a 'look at this brilliant photo', rather than saying go here, click on 'galleries' and look at the 15th photo or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Is there any way of turning on a setting that allows you to grab the address of the photo in the address bar. As a browser I like to be able to copy the address of a page to send to people with a 'look at this brilliant photo', rather than saying go here, click on 'galleries' and look at the 15th photo or whatever.

Not sure dude, i'll need to have a look at that. I cant see anything that would let me do that straight off the bat though.

Just heading out justnow so ill check it properly out when i get home.

Advertisement