Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official results thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

ULstudent wrote: »
    Which QCA is the one that shows your current degree progress: residual or accumulated?
    Answer: Accumulated

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

hi_im_fil wrote: »
    Quick question, whats the difference between residual QCA and accumulated QCA?
    Residual means the QCA for the respective set of exam results, like the xmas ones you are viewing now.
    Accumulated means the combined QCA of all the exams you have done so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Residual means the QCA for the respective set of exam results, like the xmas ones you are viewing now.
    Accumulated means the combined QCA of all the exams you have done so far.

I thought the bit highlighted in bold was session QCA?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Chett

hi_im_fil wrote: »
    I thought the bit highlighted in bold was session QCA?

Ya I think it is...I though your residual QCA was what was calculated to see if one is eligible for repeats...for instance the QCA one would achieve if their Fs were converted to C3s.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Chett wrote: »
    Ya I think it is...I though your residual QCA was what was calculated to see if one is eligible for repeats...for instance the QCA one would achieve if their Fs were converted to C3s.

But I don't have any F's. Why would session and residual be different then? Would an M grade affect it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 JellyBeana

Story lads,

I got 3 C3s and 2 D2s and my QCA works out at around 1.68 (I think). If I get better grades for second semester and even out my QCA to 2 or more does that mean I don't have to repeat the 2 exams I got D2s in or do I have to repeat them regardless?

Any info would be appreciated :)

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

No, D2s only have to be repeated if your QCA is lower than 2. But you'll have to get great grades next semester!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Chett

JellyBeana wrote: »
    Story lads,

I got 3 C3s and 2 D2s and my QCA works out at around 1.68 (I think). If I get better grades for second semester and even out my QCA to 2 or more does that mean I don't have to repeat the 2 exams I got D2s in or do I have to repeat them regardless?

Cheers

I'm almost certain that if your QCA is >= 2 by the end of the second semester that you won't have to repeat any exams. If you had gotten an F, that grade would have to be cleared.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

JellyBeana wrote: »
    Story lads,

Cheers

If you're not a first year, it might be worth repeating the D2s if you've the chance and think you can make a better fist of them the next time. You never know when the few extra points would come in handy. Like the difference between pass and honours degree or between grades of honours degree.

If you're a first year, you'll still often find that those with better QCAs get the better co-op interviews & jobs, so anything you can do to differentiate yourself from those around you might be worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Coz112

If Accumulated QCA is you QCA for every exam you've done so far, and your Residual QCA is for the set of exams you're viewing, does anyone understand why the two have different values even if you've only done one semester and one set of Christmas exams?

My accumulated is below 2, but my residual is above 2, which one should I take as my QCA?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Coz112 wrote: »
    If Accumulated QCA is you QCA for every exam you've done so far, and your Residual QCA is for the set of exams you're viewing, does anyone understand why the two have different values even if you've only done one semester and one set of Christmas exams?

My accumulated is below 2, but my residual is above 2, which one should I take as my QCA?

Check your full transcript if you're not sure. The box on the right has your QCA to-date, which is your QCA. Pretty sure it's accumulated.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Check your full transcript if you're not sure. The box on the right has your QCA to-date, which is your QCA. Pretty sure it's accumulated.

I've looked it up. Residual is to determine if you're eligible for repeats, and you are if it's above 2.0.

Despite getting 1.98 for semester one, I should be fine as long as I do well enough in semester two to achieve an accumulated score of above 2.0, right?

I've looked it up. Residual is to determine if you're eligible for repeats, and you are if it's above 2.0.

Despite getting 1.98 for semester one, I should be fine as long as I do well enough in semester two to achieve an accumulated score of above 2.0, right?

Correct.

Correct.

Well that's fine then. Thanks man!

EDIT: So, just for clarification, I won't have to repeat any of the exams I got Ds in during the xmas exams as long as my accumulated QCA is 2.0 or higher at the end of the academic year?

Well that's fine then. Thanks man!

EDIT: So, just for clarification, I won't have to repeat any of the exams I got Ds in during the xmas exams as long as my accumulated QCA is 2.0 or higher at the end of the academic year?

Correct.

If you're QCA is >2.0 then you don't repeat comp fails (which are D's).

As an aside, if you got D3's in subjects you know you can do better in, you might be as well off to repeat them and try and get the C3. It'll help your QCA in the long run if you're aiming for a 1.1 degree. But that's just my view, there is no one going to force you to repeat an D grades as long as you're above 2.0 at the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mgtp45

So which one is our QCA accumulated or session/ residual QCA this is ridiculous there are two which one do we take as our QCA?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

mgtp45 wrote: »
    So which one is our QCA accumulated or session/ residual QCA this is ridiculous there are two which one do we take as our QCA?

Accumulated.

Session is the QCA of those exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mgtp45

Thanks thought that,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 chips93

i think this has sort of already been answered, but just for confirmation/peace of mind:

im in first year, i got a D1, and an F, and an accumulated QCA of 1.96, and a residual QCA of 2.44. under progress code it says 'action to be taken'

so will i have to sit repeat exams? and just the F, or the D1 as well?

is there a fine/penalty for this?

appreciate any help.

chips93 wrote: »
    i think this has sort of already been answered, but just for confirmation/peace of mind:

im in first year, i got a D1, and an F, and an accumulated QCA of 1.96, and a residual QCA of 2.44. under progress code it says 'action to be taken'

so will i have to sit repeat exams? and just the F, or the D1 as well?

is there a fine/penalty for this?

appreciate any help.

You will have to repeat the F.

Repeats cost 171e.

You will not have to repeat the D1 unless your QCA after the summer exams is <2.0

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 chips93

You will have to repeat the F.

Repeats cost 171e.

You will not have to repeat the D1 unless your QCA after the summer exams is <2.0

Great, thanks

and the repeats are in september/august before next year right?

chips93 wrote: »
    Great, thanks

and the repeats are in september/august before next year right?

Last week of August. Around the 22nd usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Got a D2 in one of my exams... Was afraid I failed it so happy enough, but I may need to repeat it to bring my QCA up by a bit for next year if I repeat and fail do I still get to keep my D2?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭alwayswright

What's the difference between the standard QCA and a residual QCA?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

What's the difference between the standard QCA and a residual QCA?

Standard QCA is the qca you got. Residual QCA is your qca if you repeat all F's and D's and get C3's in them repeats.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 A94

I want to go on erasmus in 2nd year,what QCA do i need at the end of first year to be eligable for Erasmus?.Also when do i have to apply if i want to go in 2nd year?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

A94 wrote: »
    I want to go on erasmus in 2nd year,what QCA do i need at the end of first year to be eligable for Erasmus?.Also when do i have to apply if i want to go in 2nd year?

If you want to go to the UK then places are limited so they often go to those with highest QCA otherwise it doesn't really matter what your QCA is (once above 2.0 of course)

If erasmus is an obligitory part of your course then you generally apply before going on co-op

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

Got a D2 in one of my exams... Was afraid I failed it so happy enough, but I may need to repeat it to bring my QCA up by a bit for next year if I repeat and fail do I still get to keep my D2?

The better grade counts !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

eoins23456 wrote: »
    The better grade counts !

Don't think it does. If you repeat you take the repeat grade irrespective of the original grade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

yesno1234 wrote: »
    Don't think it does. If you repeat you take the repeat grade irrespective of the original grade.
    "If you receive a worse grade in the Repeats the higher of the two grades will apply"
    Taken from the student handbook .

Advertisement