Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Tattoo? A good idea?

Options
  • 21-01-2010 2:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭

Hi,
    I've been thinking of getting a tattoo for a long while now. The other day a girl came into my work (a photocopy place) to copy flyers advertising free black tattoos as she is practicing in a studio. I took this as a sign that I should finally get it done! Has anyone any experience if this, should I go for it? Or is this best avoided? Design I want is pretty small and simple. All advice appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

if you want the tattoo and it's for free then why not?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭muffy

SV wrote: »
    if you want the tattoo and it's for free then why not?!?

She might rip the ankle off me, it could get infected and my leg would go gangrenous and have to be amputated :D No seriously, I'm starting to wonder why I'm thinking so much about it, just wondering if any had any experience with anything like this! Think I'll be going for it anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Make sure it's all hygeinic, and don't expect any kind of good quality whatsoever!

If it's clean and hygeinic enough, and you don't mind having a poorly done tattoo, go for it. My legs are a practice canvas for a friend and so far I'm really happy with what he's done.

Sofaspud wrote: »
    Make sure it's all hygeinic, and don't expect any kind of good quality whatsoever!

If it's clean and hygeinic enough, and you don't mind having a poorly done tattoo, go for it. My legs are a practice canvas for a friend and so far I'm really happy with what he's done.

It's fairly thick black lines and a simple enough shape I want, so quality should be ok. Providing she can draw in anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

It's standard practice for apprentices isn't it? dirt cheap/free tatts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Just make sure its a good studio and someone is keeping an eye on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Personally, if I were getting something that's gonna be on my body my whole life, I'd want it done right, by a professional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I'd definitely go for it. One of me mates is doing tattoo's now for shag all. Seen a few of them and he is well able to do them. He wont even try anything unless he is 100% sure he can do it good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭NikNakOoo

Sometimes there's a reasons why things are cheap/free... but so long as you do enough research on it beforehand and its a simple enough design then it should be ok. Tattooists have to start somewhere.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Dancor wrote: »
    Just make sure its a good studio and someone is keeping an eye on her.

Definitely make sure she's got someone keeping an eye who can step in if things need neatening up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 marie77

Hi! You need to make sure that she is not practising out of some back alley somewhere! Have a look at the studio when you go in, make sure you see her taking the needles out of sterile packaging don't let her near you with any needle that you've not seen coming out of packaging. When she draws the outline on you have a good look at it it'll be too late when it's real ink to say that you want it moved! Best of luck :D

marie77 wrote: »
    Hi! You need to make sure that she is not practising out of some back alley somewhere! Have a look at the studio when you go in, make sure you see her taking the needles out of sterile packaging don't let her near you with any needle that you've not seen coming out of packaging. When she draws the outline on you have a good look at it it'll be too late when it's real ink to say that you want it moved! Best of luck :D

Well she has sent me a link to the studio page, which looks good (although I don't like the style of the work thats shown on the page). She assured me the manager would be standing there while she does it. Thanks I will be extra vigilant about the clean needles! Just trying to find a suitable time to get it done now, taking time of work to get tattoo'd seems silly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭robgti

as im a inspiring aprentice tattooest, ive done a few on my friends at home, my home made studio, yes i took all precautions in hygiene and that they have come out fine, so why not if its free yet simple go for it, i cant picture anybody with no drawing skills doing it, got to start somewere :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

i got my tatts done by an apprentice and they were brilliant

they werent free but it was only a few months after he had started charging

now he wasnt the usual apprentice i guess but have a look at her work and talk to the other guys in the studio and see what they say abouther

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cocanefreak

look to be honest i wouldnt go for it your better off jus paying a professional if you want your first to be a good

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭force majeure

look to be honest i wouldnt go for it your better off jus paying a professional if you want your first to be a good

I agree fully here as every one is better off doing their first with a pro who knows what they are doing 100% a free bee from a start off may end up looking tacky or worse...
    PS stick to you leg or arm as if you get it on your chest or back you well be driving barking mad:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

i would really really see some of her previous work...
    she wants some1 to practice on...

just be careful, you dont want a big black blob on you now do ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I got one done of one of me mates yesterday. He is only doing them a few months but I must say it came out great. Its only a small one on me moob and it turned out perfect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Bugnug

muffy wrote: »
    Hi,
    I've been thinking of getting a tattoo for a long while now. The other day a girl came into my work (a photocopy place) to copy flyers advertising free black tattoos as she is practicing in a studio. I took this as a sign that I should finally get it done! Has anyone any experience if this, should I go for it? Or is this best avoided? Design I want is pretty small and simple. All advice appreciated!

Tattoing your body is a form of self hate. Why would you scar yourself for life? A sign? Get a grip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Bugnug wrote: »
    Tattoing your body is a form of self hate. Why would you scar yourself for life? A sign? Get a grip.

Troll troll troll your boat..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Bugnug first and last warning. This is a tattoo and piercing forum. If you don't like or agree with it, fair enough, but keep comments like that out of the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 BodyShock

Make sure it is a reputable studio and see her other work before you decide. If it turns out a bad tattoo then free is not worth it. If you do get it and it is good then no worries. If not you cab always get it lasered off which hurts just as much and takes many more sessions. Just remember the slogan you get what you pay for is a good saying for a reason.

Advertisement