Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A second fibbers?? WTF??

Options
  • 21-01-2010 3:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭

Is there a 2nd fibbers opened? Anybody know the score with this? Are they still good for the half price mondays?

Please tell me its a **** hole :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

Just seen it on the Quays tonight near the Siren's Bar (can't remember the nameof the hotel). I was gonna start a thread about it too.

Looked closed when I passed it on the bus at about 6 so it mightn't be opened yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Hey was in there the other night. It's called Fibbers Rock Bar and it's on the Quays. (Just past Sin e.) It opened a few days ago.

Quite nice. About the same size as Brux floorspace-wise. Nice and clean. Decent prices. e4 for a pint of stout. Decent music on the jukebox but it's getting more Metal. They said they're aiming for the older Metal crowd as opposed to the Teenage niche so aptly catered for in the Fibbers on Parnell St. They're still working on it and haven't introduced any special offers yet. e10 for a jug of Czech beer though. There's a Pool Table at the back and a little space for a band but it might be a tad small to accommodate a full band.

And it passed the litmus test; Toilets are clean. There is nice seating there too. It's a welcome addition to the Dublin Metal scene and a fresh alternative. Brux might have some competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Passenger wrote: »
    Hey was in there the other night. It's called Fibbers Rock Bar and it's on the Quays. (Just past Sin e.) It opened a few days ago.

Quite nice. About the same size as Brux floorspace-wise. Nice and clean. Decent prices. e4 for a pint of stout. Decent music on the jukebox but it's getting more Metal. They said they're aiming for the older Metal crowd as opposed to the Teenage niche so aptly catered for in the Fibbers on Parnell St. They're still working on it and haven't introduced any special offers yet. e10 for a jug of Czech beer though. There's a Pool Table at the back and a little space for a band but it might be a tad small to accommodate a full band.

And it passed the litmus test; Toilets are clean. There is nice seating there too. It's a welcome addition to the Dublin Metal scene and a fresh alternative. Brux might have some competition.

Its not in the old Bondi/ Zanzibar nightclub place is it?

I dont think they will be doing e2 drinks if they dont want the younger crowd there. In fairness this could be ****ing great, The one on parnell street for going ****ing nuts in, and the one on the quay if you just feel like chilling. Hopefully it splits the two kinda crowds that go to fibbers. The ones that get ****ed up and the ones that give out but secretly wish they could leave their self respect at the door :D

The "serious metallers" and the "posers" :p

must check it out. Is it more classic rock so?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

kona wrote: »
    I dont think they will be doing e2 drinks if they dont want the younger crowd there.

Is it more classic rock so?

Well they said they're going to introduce some special offers but only one's that don't conflict with the Fibbers on Parnell St. So e3 beers might be Wed or Fri as opposed to a Thurs.

The vibe they're going for is straight up Metal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Well they said they're going to introduce some special offers but only one's that don't conflict with the Fibbers on Parnell St. So e3 beers might be Wed or Fri as opposed to a Thurs.

The vibe they're going for is straight up Metal.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice, I was getting worried it'd be an older c*ck rock/glam thing happening. There's only so much AC/DC and Deep Purple I can take in one night!

Looking forward to heading in and p*ssing all over the floors in the jacks just to get the smell back. :pac:

In a perfect world though I suppose there'd be a suggestion box type thing for stuff to put on the jukebox. Sorta like goin' up to a dj and sayin' "Man, stop playing Korn/Limp Bizkit/Nirvana and play some decent tunes FFS!".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

will be very interested to see the music policy alright. Lots of places start out with good intentions and want to play extreme metal, but end up having to tone it down to more mainstream metal to get the crowds in.

Price of pints matters little to me if I feel the music is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

In fairness metal is a pretty big genre, I hope the tunes wont be hours of ****ty growling and grindcore, infact anything core, which seems to be the acid test for how metal a song is these days:(

Cant wait to go and see if any particular group is laying claim to the place :D.... I hate to say it but I'd imagine it will be full of "elitists".

But well give it a shot anyways.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

chin_grin wrote: »
    In a perfect world though I suppose there'd be a suggestion box type thing for stuff to put on the jukebox. Sorta like goin' up to a dj and sayin' "Man, stop playing Korn/Limp Bizkit/Nirvana and play some decent tunes FFS!".
    I remember having stuff like this before in a house party, where one fella was in charge of the music.. Luckily, I had thought ahead and brought some real metal cds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Its not in the old Bondi/ Zanzibar nightclub place is it?

hope so.. ultimate revenge on a place i once got refused entry w/ the sound of Britainy Spears eminating from, post GangGreen in voodoo lounge

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I hate to say it but I'd imagine it will be full of "elitists".
    Oh no, let's not have that thread again :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

infact anything core, which seems to be the acid test for how metal a song is these days:(.

Nah, core is core, metal is a different beast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Angry Troll

cool, will have to check it out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

It's in the bar that used to be called "Out on the Liffey". The place is directly opposite the civic offices, so pretty easy to find! :)

quick phone pic of it..

ccb3e861.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

only one's that don't conflict with the Fibbers on Parnell St.
    Is it by the same crowd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Oh the irony of it being called a 'Rock Bar' and people asking about what metal is being played :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Tis about time we got another nice place to have a few beers! Awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Was in last night.

Place is dapper, pisses all over Brux.

The pub was clean, the jacks was clean, the drinks were good and the music was great.
    Barman was sound too.

Only complaint came from the girls because there was no adequate 'dance floor' space.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭CrazyTalk

Only complaint came from the girls because there was no adequate 'dance floor' space.

Typical :rolleyes:
    I'll have to give this place a gander

Meh. Goto the other Fibbers :P Must check this out after next payday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭DenMan

Looks great. Will try and pop down in the near future.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I heard it was 21's only, any truth in this?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

There is a sign up saying as much, but afaik, there's a smiliar sign on Parnell St.

Wouldn't worry about it tbh.

There is a sign up saying as much, but afaik, there's a smiliar sign on Parnell St.

Wouldn't worry about it tbh.
    Helps keep the scummers out.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

the_syco wrote: »
    Helps keep the scummers out.
    +1
    Ive given up on Parnell st.Full of little scumbags that think they own the place.

Hopefully this new place is a bit better.

do they have a stage in that new fibbers so there will be gigs?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

do they have a stage in that new fibbers so there will be gigs?

I'm hoping not,keep the gigs in Parnell st. and let the new place be somewhere where you can go for a scoop and listen to some good sounds.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

lord lucan wrote: »
    I'm hoping not,keep the gigs in Parnell st. and let the new place be somewhere where you can go for a scoop and listen to some good sounds.

Was never really a fan of the gigs in Parnell street anyway.Maybe Im just feeling old looking for somewhere to enjoy some decent music where its not like a kids playground.

lord lucan wrote: »

yeah, i know what you mean, me too in a way...was just hoping for a fibbers for gigs without omnipresent toilet smell…

yeah, i know what you mean, me too in a way...was just hoping for a fibbers for gigs without omnipresent toilet smell…

Or dead rat in the wall smell masked by cheap air freshener for years until nature took its course and the thing rotted into oblivion :)

Jesus they were bad days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Was never really a fan of the gigs in Parnell street anyway.Maybe Im just feeling old looking for somewhere to enjoy some decent music where its not like a kids playground.

Let the kids have Parnell st. and keep some level of class in the new place. Fibbers used to be ok but then it went to the dogs. Bruxelles used to be great but it's turned into a rip off kip too. All i'd love to see is a good boozer that serves good beer at reasonable prices and has a good rock/metal jukebox. Surely that can't be too much to ask?

Advertisement