Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking Pasta

Options
  • 21-01-2010 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering really how you folks cook your pasta. Its such a simple thing, but as we all know is massacered so often. Reading Giorgio Locatellis Italian cook book (which is superb) and he recommends that for every 100g dry pasta you use 10g of salt!! I'd usually put in a decent amount but if I was cooking a 500g pack I wouldn't have put in 50g of salt!

I'm sure Giorgio is absolutely correct, I just found it surprising. His other points were more predictable: 1L water per 100g pasta, don't use olive oil for cooking it etc etc.

Over to you......:)

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

personally, i fill the saucepan with whatever water is in the kettle, lash in a stock cube and boil for 10 mins.

are you talking about fresh pasta or the dried?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Talking about dried pasta.

Yeah, I tend to just use one kettle full too so about 2L of water.

Never used a stock cube though.....interesting!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Somehwere in the ballymalloe cookery course book, i think it says pasta water "should be as salty as the mediterranean"

Advertisement