Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taxi plates - could any drivers here tell me how much your MPG is affected by it?

• 21-01-2010 9:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭

Hi, could any drivers here let me know how badly having an Irish taxi plate on your roof affects your mpg. I had my brothers roof rails on my car the other day and my mpg plummeted. Just wondering what way taxi signs affect it here as they are huge compare to other countries.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I don't think its very straightforward as a lot of taxi work is stop-start and/or at a mix of low and medium speeds which throws things off completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Victor wrote: »
    I don't think its very straightforward as a lot of taxi work is stop-start and/or at a mix of low and medium speeds which throws things off completely.

And indeed the exact shape/position of the taxi sign would have an impact, as well as the original MPG of the car. Theres no way someone can provide a "it has an X mpg impact" style figure.

Roof rails themselves vary wildly, the longitudinal rails on a Fiat Panda (fitted by default in Ireland) have an imperceptible impact and the Fiat branded latitudinal ones unladen only knock about 2% off; but big blocky third party ones are like sticking a brick on the roof for aerodynamics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

Yeah, i know but i suppose i was just looking for a rough figure. All taxi plates in Ireland are basically the same so they should be able to give me a rough idea. They are the most unaerodynamic looking things i have ever seen. They must be incredibly inefficient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

samsemtex wrote: »
    Yeah, i know but i suppose i was just looking for a rough figure. All taxi plates in Ireland are basically the same so they should be able to give me a rough idea. They are the most unaerodynamic looking things i have ever seen. They must be incredibly inefficient.

Rough figure? up 10%. Under 50kph aerodynamics aren't very important, so for daytime driving around a city it'll have very little effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Victor wrote: »

It still didn't stop the Regulator spending about €60,000 sending over two taxis to a wind tunnel in England to research the fuel drag caused by the position of a roof sign the other year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Hamndegger wrote: »
    It still didn't stop the Regulator spending about €60,000 sending over two taxis to a wind tunnel in England to research the fuel drag caused by the position of a roof sign the other year.

They could have built a wind tunnel for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

thats cheap enough if they were on the meter!

amacachi wrote: »
    Rough figure? up 10%. Under 50kph aerodynamics aren't very important, so for daytime driving around a city it'll have very little effect.

10%? Thats a substantial amount. Say a taxi driver spends €10,000 on fuel a year, thats €1000 which is a quite a lot. Im amazed no one has ever designed a more aerodynamic taxi sign in this country. No where else in the world are they like they are here.

Poly wrote: »
    They could have built a wind tunnel for that!

They'd supply the wind (Hot air, no less) via a pipe from Kildare Street:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

It's been suggested to the T.R and though not rejected out of hand I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a change to anything remotely aerodynamic in the legislation. However that isn't to say a perspex cover angled downwards attached with something as simple as velcro wouldn't improve it or even a perspex box with aerodynamic styling and the all imprtant licensing details on a flat surface at the rear with integral illumination wouldn't go amiss. I've already thought about the loss in fuel consumption but the tooling efforts negate any one off projects at this time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

10%? Thats a substantial amount. Say a taxi driver spends €10,000 on fuel a year, thats €1000 which is a quite a lot. Im amazed no one has ever designed a more aerodynamic taxi sign in this country. No where else in the world are they like they are here.

Up to 10%, if most of the time is spent at over 70kph, which they dont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Could they not just have sent the signs? They have cars in England, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

could you not just turn the signs lengthways to reduce profile?

That is an interesting proposition. I wonder do the regs require that its mounted sideways. Keeping it in that position may also be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Wibbler wrote: »
    Could they not just have sent the signs? They have cars in England, too.
    I doubt it cost €60k to actually send the taxis, but that that was the fee charged for the wind tunnel use. In fact I'd imagine it was probably just as cheap to pop the two taxis on the ferry and pay for the petrol than to send the signs by courier.

And to a previous poster who suggested you'd be able to build one for that, you wouldn't get much of a wind tunnel for €60k ... McLaren's is rumoured to have cost £300 million!

That is an interesting proposition. I wonder do the regs require that its mounted sideways. Keeping it in that position may also be a problem.

roof rack bars crossways to mount it to. I'm sure they would produce less drag then the widthways sign would. Or even suction directly the the roof may be viable.

The real solution IMO is a specific paint scheme for all taxis in the country with a much smaller roof sign, less than 1ft wide like most countries

Alun wrote: »
    McLaren's is rumoured to have cost £300 million!

Well we all know how truthful McLaren are these days
    ;):rolleyes::p

the money and Ferrari plans were just resting in their account!

Legally we can do this..... on a fare that will be longer than 30KM and with the permission of the passenger. :rolleyes:

Advertisement