Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Firefox addon question.

• 21-01-2010 9:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭

Hello , I'm trying to adjust and tweak a couple of add-ons in firefox.
    Basically I've installed an addon called tiny menu and I've done away with the navigation bar.
    My problem is I don't seem to be able to add a home button to the bar ,so when i open a new tab it's blank.
    Is there anyway to set new tabs to open my homepage or to add a home button to the tiny menu bar?
    Also ,anyway of getting firefox to open into maximum size F11 ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

THIS will give you your Homepage in a new TAB.

Try This for the Full Screen.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

THIS will give you your Homepage in a new TAB.
    Try This for the Full Screen.
    Thanks for those, sadly because of the new 3.6 Firefox, the Full Screen add-on app (so far) has yet to be updated for it to work.

You solved a irritating problem for me too with mentioning the first one by the way.
    Many, many thanks.

Biggins wrote: »
    Thanks for those, sadly because of the new 3.6 Firefox, the Full Screen add-on app (so far) has yet to be updated for it to work.

You solved a irritating problem for me too with mentioning the first one by the way.
    Many, many thanks.

Another handy one is "Right Click create shortcut" & it is working in 3.6 :) (It's a little ways down the page)

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Thanks for the links ,I had to download a different full screen add-on ,but it does the same thing.

Managed to get a couple of other bits aswell.

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    Thanks for the links ,I had to download a different full screen add-on ,but it does the same thing.

Can you up a link to it?

-

• Advertisement

Can't get a link directly ,it's on a secure link from the add-on menu.

Name : Full Fullscreen 3.4rc1

Is THIS the one you used?

If it is? It's working very well for me.

Cheers.

-

Yeah thats it ,I'm also using tiny menu to get rid of the writing on top ,the handy round icon instead.

You probably know about it already ,I'm not that well up with all these gadgets.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Many, many thanks.

Installing "Nightly Tester Tools" will allow you to over-ride add-on compatibility. At your own risk :cool:

Pfft, amateur :P
    http://bcpk.org/firefox.png

• Advertisement

Here's another one I like :D

Get the Close Button Back on the Last Open Tab in Firefox
    For those people who have been missing this wonderful little feature, this is definitely a “must have” extension!

Works on 3.6 :)

Link

-

Baza210 wrote: »

I like having the loading icon in the menu bar on top ,sometimes pages take ages to load ,easy to keep an eye on them all the time.

Another useful one for when you have many Tab's open.

Tab Popup 1.2.1 (also working in 3.6)

Shows what lies inside the tab in a preview window. (just hover the mouse over any of the Tabs not to the fore)

LINK:

-

Does anyone donate to these guys ? ,I was going to but then thought ,maybe their loaded already.

I like having the loading icon in the menu bar on top ,sometimes pages take ages to load ,easy to keep an eye on them all the time.

But of course, that's what Fission is for!

I have a tutorial, if you're interested - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3OOdjAtKEU

But of course, that's what Fission is for!

I have a tutorial, if you're interested - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3OOdjAtKEU

thanks I'll have a look ,I think i need to change my theme ,it's making the tabs a bit to cartoon like.

Edit:

Cheers for the link ,I have style loaded onto the add-ons ,wasn't sure what it was all about.

cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Hello , I'm trying to adjust and tweak a couple of add-ons in firefox.
    Basically I've installed an addon called tiny menu and I've done away with the navigation bar.
    My problem is I don't seem to be able to add a home button to the bar ,so when i open a new tab it's blank.
    Is there anyway to set new tabs to open my homepage or to add a home button to the tiny menu bar?
    Also ,anyway of getting firefox to open into maximum size F11 ?

Thanks.

Compact Menu2 is similar to Tiny Menu: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4550

Go to the the older versions link at the bottom and you can install from there.

When you right clock on customise on the menu, you should be able to drag the home page icon over to the new menu you use. Another option I use is Strata Home Tab, it puts the home icon on the tab bar, like future FF versions will:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/14764

Many, many thanks.

Installed MR Tech toolkit today and it can force compatibility:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/421

It puts a toolbar on the Add on window, tools and make all compatible. Very handy for those add ons that aren't compatible with new releases.

Fission is good, you could also try Tabberwockery:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/14439

It has a couple of other handy options, one of which is when you open a link into a new tab, it remembers the history of the old tab.
    Another useful one for when you have many Tab's open.

Tab Popup 1.2.1 (also working in 3.6)

Shows what lies inside the tab in a preview window. (just hover the mouse over any of the Tabs not to the fore)

LINK:

-

Tab Scope is also very good:https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4882

I find it better because you can navigate the tab with it, stop, reload or go back or forward or indeed close it, without switching to it.

Again, if you have upgraded to 3.6 and it will not install, go to older versions at the bottom of the page and install from there.

MR Tech toolkit looks after the rest. I always find dreading what add ons will not work takes away from the new releases!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Cheers K-9 ,makes using firefox so much easier when the effort is put into it.

Windows 7 seems to be helping things along aswell.:)

Yeah thats it ,I'm also using tiny menu to get rid of the writing on top ,the handy round icon instead.

You probably know about it already ,I'm not that well up with all these gadgets.:(

Forgot, if you are into as much screen estate as possible, hide caption is very good: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/9256

It takes away the Firefox caption at the top and you can add it to your menu instead. I notice it has a tinymenu option in its options too.

Fierr may interest you if loading is of importance:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5754

If FF can't connect, it will try again every 10 seconds.

An addon I'd be lost without is cybersearch:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7931

Basically, it adds Google or whatever search you want to the location bar, doing away with the need for the google search box in the menu. Handy and saves space!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Thanks again ,it's a small xps laptop I'm on ,so every pixel counts.

It's amazing the amount of stuff thats out there.

• Advertisement

Thanks again ,it's a small xps laptop I'm on ,so every pixel counts.

It's amazing the amount of stuff thats out there.

See what you started yoshytoshy ;)

Bet you're glad you asked now :)

-

-

It's cool ,thanks for the replies.

K-9 wrote: »
    An addon I'd be lost without is cybersearch:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7931

Basically, it adds Google or whatever search you want to the location bar, doing away with the need for the google search box in the menu. Handy and saves space!

Similar functionality can be attained by right-clicking in a search box and clicking "Add keyword for this search". You then prefix searches in this location bar with this keyword, eg "g test" gives me "http://www.google.com/search?q=test"

-

;)

I've about 50 installed and that's with willpower!

Chrome is faster but the add ons are what keep me coming back to FF. See Chrome are trying to copy that part though!

I've a 22" widescreen at home and still prefer as much screen estate as possible yoshytoshy. I've just the one menu bar and cybersearch makes that possible!

The only thing I've noticed about MR Tech toolkit is the add on window doesn't seem to work. I've to go to view, sidebar and extensions. Small price for keeping all my add ons!

I hate toolbars, but they've a good one on their home page site, a brilliant radio player. Seems to add the Irish national and local stations and BBC Radio 5 for the footie. You can always right click and hide it!

Similar functionality can be attained by right-clicking in a search box and clicking "Add keyword for this search". You then prefix searches in this location bar with this keyword, eg "g test" gives me "http://www.google.com/search?q=test"

True, my brain doesn't work that way unfortunately! Like the automatic search!

Nice one for all the help ,managed to get something I like together.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Absolutely great stuff here. many thanks to all for the VERY useful add-ons.

Just noticed with the new firefox 3.6 that the right click - properties button is missing when right clicking on the likes of pictures etc.

THIS Addon Returns the 'Properties' menu item that was removed in Firefox 3.6 to the context menu. :)

-

Advertisement