Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lonely Planet

• 21-01-2010 10:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭

For the 2nd year in a row the Lonely Planet had some decent things to say about Limerick.

Spots such as Sage Cafe, and The White House got a special mention as did the friendliness of the people. My favourite line from the report though was the statement:

"Limerick's streets are rich with tangible links to the past and a gritty, honest vibrancy"

Pretty much sums up Limerick for me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    For the 2nd year in a row the Lonely Planet had some decent things to say about Limerick.

Spots such as Sage Cafe, and The White House got a special mention as did the friendliness of the people. My favourite line from the report though was the statement:

"Limerick's streets are rich with tangible links to the past and a gritty, honest vibrancy"

Pretty much sums up Limerick for me.

Looks like they've come a long way from the rear view mirror comment they made a few years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Great post OP and doesnt seem fake at all! Good to hear coming from such a good guide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I remember the last one slated Shannon Town, saying
    "About 3km from the airport, Shannon town, built to serve airport workers, has the feel of one of those old planned Soviet industrial cities – albeit with more reliable hot water. Don’t linger."

So true.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭neo2010

I remember the last one slated Shannon Town, saying
    "About 3km from the airport, Shannon town, built to serve airport workers, has the feel of one of those old planned Soviet industrial cities – albeit with more reliable hot water. Don’t linger."

So true.

Yes so true. I could not quite explain it but Shannon town has an atmosphere which can only be described as eerie - just like a feeling of I shouldn't be here unless I'm going to the airport. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

neo2010 wrote: »
    Yes so true. I could not quite explain it but Shannon town has an atmosphere which can only be described as eerie - just like a feeling of I shouldn't be here unless I'm going to the airport. :pac:

thats the thing though, its not a town really, more a mass of business/industrial estates with blocks of houses in between. Its souless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Yeah its a pretty soul-less place, could never ever imagine living there!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Paudie223

Ahem....Along walks the Shannon man. Where do you live Mclove?

I take the points that each of you have made. Shannon was unplanned so therefore has its problems, the same problems which you will find in many towns. To call it souless is not fair. Theres a great sense of community in Shannon which the sports clubs and societys all contribute to. Its not a bad place to rare your children.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

phill106 wrote: »
    There is a certain irony about people in the limerick forum posting how unsafe shannon is...

Why?
    I can honestly say i have never seen one fight on the streets of Limerick, yet i see one every weekend in Shannon. Ive never heard of any break-ins around the house i lived in when i was in Corbally, different story in Shannon.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Aaaaaand that is where I'm going to draw this thread to a close.

Neighbours taking petty pot-shots at each other from across the border is only fun in War Of The Buttons. Limerick and Shannon both have their problems. Comparing and contrasting them isn't a problem, as such. Doing so in a thread that was supposed to show the bright side of Limerick City is a problem.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Just to add to this: Melion has started a new thread in the Clare forum, for all your opinions on Shannon.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056194692

:)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement