Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SFP across the EU - flat rate per hectare?

• 21-01-2010 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭

Read an article in Tuesdays indo farming suppliment that says this is the way we could be heading post 2013.

Anyone have any idea what the average flat rate per hectare is across the EU?
    If it goes this way, what rate should we expect to get paid?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭DanFindy

I can see it going like that alright from the chat ive heard its really the only way/means of payment thats being spoke about so there no smoke without fire !
    I wonder will cattle numbers or type of stock still have a bearing on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dryan

A flate rate is a flate rate - If stocking density is going to have an impact then is not a flat rate payment.

Unless they break it up into categories such as Dairy/suckler/drystock/sheep/forestry.....bal bla bla - where do you stop?

anyone any idea what the average flat rate payment per hectare currently is across various EU countries?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

dryan wrote: »
    Read an article in Tuesdays indo farming suppliment that says this is the way we could be heading post 2013.

Anyone have any idea what the average flat rate per hectare is across the EU?
    If it goes this way, what rate should we expect to get paid?

I don't know what the flat rate will be, but i do know that the country will probably be broken into 2 areas and one will receive a much higher rate than the other. The EU have drawn a line through the map of Ireland which encompasses counties along the western side of the country starting from Donegal at the top and encompassing midlands counties and running down to kerry. They have identified that these counties have the poorest land and the lowest farm profits - and therefore they deserve the most aid. They use the same division for to give out the Rural Development Funding (Like LEADER). They're called NUTS II and Nuts III regions if people want to google them for more information. All EU countries have been divided into regions like this and EU grants will be targeted at specific underdeveloped areas within countries rather than at whole countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

reilig wrote: »
    I don't know what the flat rate will be, but i do know that the country will probably be broken into 2 areas and one will receive a much higher rate than the other. The EU have drawn a line through the map of Ireland which encompasses counties along the western side of the country starting from Donegal at the top and encompassing midlands counties and running down to kerry. They have identified that these counties have the poorest land and the lowest farm profits - and therefore they deserve the most aid. They use the same division for to give out the Rural Development Funding (Like LEADER). They're called NUTS II and Nuts III regions if people want to google them for more information. All EU countries have been divided into regions like this and EU grants will be targeted at specific underdeveloped areas within countries rather than at whole countries.

Link to IFJ article last fall! http://www.farmersjournal.ie/2009/1128/farmmanagement/beef/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

Its still up in the air
    http://www.independent.ie/farming/ciolas-rejects-irish-stance-on-the-sfp-2020705.html
    It would be nice if farmers could know about schemes a few years in advance
    so we could have a five year plan
    I cant say if Ill be still farming in five years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

My understanding is that the flat rate setup will not be good for irish farmers, as the eastern europeans bring a hell of a lot more acres to the table than we had in the past, and I'm guessing the EU budget isnt gonna ramp up CAP accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dryan

djmc wrote: »
    I cant say if Ill be still farming in five years

Couldnt agree more.
    I am constantly interested in reinvesting in improving the day to day running of the farm. Any investments i make i try to pay back over a 4 - 5 year period.
    Due to the uncertainty of the SFP post 2013, over the last year, i have put a hold on any long/short term investments in the farm as i just dont know how the 'income' will be hit come 2013.

There are lots of people saying that it should be done this way and that way. Nothing is happening. I can see us here asking the same questions this time next year - maybe even 2012!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

[/QUOTE]
    I cant say if Ill be still farming in five years[/QUOTE]

a classic example was the reps scheme where farmers borrowed money for the fwms on the strength of receiving their reps payments only to be told later that reps4 was not being continued.
    we cant take any promises from the minister for agriculture seriously till we see the cheques in our hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Talks of a 20% cut straight across the board,

Personally I think it is the countries like Germany, GB France etc, that will decide, Eire will not have much of a say.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭juror

A flat rate does not benefit commercial farmers. If aids and supplements are to be given, which serve the purpose of subsidising poor prices for produce, why then should someone who is not actively farming land recieve a payment for merely owning it. This is a situation which makes no sense in respect of supporting farming families and farming jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭networks

juror wrote: »
    A flat rate does not benefit commercial farmers. If aids and supplements are to be given, which serve the purpose of subsidising poor prices for produce, why then should someone who is not actively farming land recieve a payment for merely owning it. This is a situation which makes no sense in respect of supporting farming families and farming jobs.
    but if you only subsidise production you will end up with mountains of unwanted food which only plays into the hands of retailers and supermarkets where this supply will be plentiful cos you would have to produce it for these subsidies???tiered flat rate payment is best option with say first 20 hectares getting the highest payment,scaling down thereafter!!it would only be a basic payment but production with a smaller subsidy so the market can find its base price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 RuralNetwork

You might find the proceedings from the "Teagasc Outlook for 2010" of interest, in particular the presentations "CAP after 2013: a Concept for the long view" and "Negotiations on CAP 2013+: state of play and issues emerging in the debate".

Irish National Rural Network
    web: http://www.nrn.ie
    twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ruralnetwork
    facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ruralnetwork

Advertisement