Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there anyway to play my American 360 on Irish Televisions?

Options
  • 21-01-2010 10:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭

Any way at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

From what I'm seeing, you need a EU Power Brick & plug cable, due to US being 110v and us being 220V.
    Make sure the tv is at least 60Hz too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Shouldn't be a big deal if its a HDTV.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you have a TV that won't display an American NTSC signal then you are probably using the same TV as the flintstones. Buy a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Dragons Revenge

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If you have a TV that won't display an American NTSC signal then you are probably using the same TV as the flintstones. Buy a new one.
    I should probably be more specific.

I'm going to be going to school in Ireland in a couple weeks from the States, where I will be for almost 4 months. I had entertained the idea of bringing my 360 over there and buying a cheap small TV. I just learned that TVs are also region specific, not just consoles and DVDs/Games, and so I wouldn't be able to play my NTSC system on a PAL TV, so I was wondering if there was anyway to get around that.

From what I'm seeing, you need a EU Power Brick & plug cable, due to US being 110v and us being 220V.
    Make sure the tv is at least 60Hz too.

Well, if I can bypass the region code, I can just get a voltage adapter, assuming it's not already dual voltage.

• Advertisement

As long as the tv is 60Hz there shouldn't be a problem, whether it's composite or component.
    I'm pretty sure you'll need an EU 360 power brick and cable, just from I what I read by googling for those with a situation similar to yours.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If it's a HDTV you should be fine displaying in 480p or above since it's the same here as in america. If it's not HD but a good model like philips or Sony it will work fine as well. If it's a crappy black diamond or other cheap brand you might have trouble. Check first that the TV you are buying displays NTSC 60Hz and not just PAL 60Hz, there's a difference.

Also I'd check that an EU power brick and cable will work. I'm not sure it does and you may end up frying the power supply if it doesn't. You'll need a step down converter to get it to work otherwise. They are available in hardware stores like peats or maplin over here. Just make sure you have one with the correct power rating for the 360 or it won't work.

If it's a HDTV you should be fine displaying in 480p or above since it's the same here as in america. If it's not HD but a good model like philips or Sony it will work fine as well. If it's a crappy black diamond or other cheap brand you might have trouble. Check first that the TV you are buying displays NTSC 60Hz and not just PAL 60Hz, there's a difference.

Also I'd check that an EU power brick and cable will work. I'm not sure it does and you may end up frying the power supply if it doesn't. You'll need a step down converter to get it to work otherwise. They are available in hardware stores like peats or maplin over here. Just make sure you have one with the correct power rating for the 360 or it won't work.

Will I have to check that for the HDTVs, or the SD ones? And will a voltage converter not work? They're supposed to convert the US voltage to EU and vice versa. Do you know if the EU power brick has the same input jack as the US ones? I'm wondering if this is worth the trouble. Maybe I'll just borrow yours. :P

If it's a semi decent flat screen TV then you should be fine. I haven't seen a flatscreen that didn't support NTSC here.

A step down converter is a voltage converter but you will need one that will get enough power to the 360 as well. A simple travel adapter isn't going to work. The 360 more than likely has the same power brick jack but i'd really check that first before you go replacing the US power brick with an EU one.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,303 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I should probably be more specific.

I'm going to be going to school in Ireland in a couple weeks from the States, where I will be for almost 4 months. I had entertained the idea of bringing my 360 over there and buying a cheap small TV. I just learned that TVs are also region specific, not just consoles and DVDs/Games, and so I wouldn't be able to play my NTSC system on a PAL TV, so I was wondering if there was anyway to get around that.
    Spend 4 months without precious. Travel Light.

-voice of thorough experience.

• Advertisement

If it's a semi decent flat screen TV then you should be fine. I haven't seen a flatscreen that didn't support NTSC here.

A step down converter is a voltage converter but you will need one that will get enough power to the 360 as well. A simple travel adapter isn't going to work. The 360 more than likely has the same power brick jack but i'd really check that first before you go replacing the US power brick with an EU one.

Well, after some research, it sounds like http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-er-49-en-70-1pnk.html

May do the trick, and yeah, it looks like your newer LCD TVs are dual coded (NTSC/PAL).

Thanks for your help.

Overheal wrote: »
    Spend 4 months without precious. Travel Light.

-voice of thorough experience.

Hahahaha, that's most likely what I'll end up doing. I would feel pretty bad being in another country, for the first time, and being holed up in my room playing games.

Hahahaha, that's most likely what I'll end up doing. I would feel pretty bad being in another country, for the first time, and being holed up in my room playing games.

And if you're going to DCU, you're set, they've a really cool communial gaming area in their Students Union, filled with 360s.

And if you're going to DCU, you're set, they've a really cool communial gaming area in their Students Union, filled with 360s.

Nice.

Advertisement