Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free GPS Navigation on Nokia Phones

• 21-01-2010 10:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,995 ✭✭✭✭

Good news folks, the GPS features you previously had to pay for on Nokia phones is now free. More information here and download Ovi Maps here.

The walk and drive functions are now free. You get turn by turn guidance including lane assistance, traffic information, safety camera and speed warnings. I guess not all features are available in Ireland (traffic information, speed cameras?) but there's plenty there to keep you busy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

WOW this is great news :D:D thanks OP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭NOGMaxpower

followed instructions for n85 but failed will try again later :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

followed instructions for n85 but failed will try again later :mad:

Its only for 10 devices at the moment

http://maps.nokia.com/explore-services/ovi-maps/downloads

Nokia 5800 XpressMusic, Nokia 5800 Navigation Edition,Nokia X6, Nokia N97 mini, Nokia 5230,E72, E55, E52, Nokia 6730 classic, Nokia 6710 Navigator

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,995 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Its only for 10 devices at the moment

http://maps.nokia.com/explore-services/ovi-maps/downloads

Nokia 5800 XpressMusic, Nokia 5800 Navigation Edition,Nokia X6, Nokia N97 mini, Nokia 5230,E72, E55, E52, Nokia 6730 classic, Nokia 6710 Navigator

Very true. It will appear on more phones but it'll take some time for that to happen. Also from the article:
    From March 2010, all new Nokia GPS-enabled smartphones will come installed with the new Ovi Maps application and pre-loaded with local country map data and walk and drive navigation with access to location-aware Lonely Planet and Michelin travel guides at no extra cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭meep

have maps 3.0 already on my n95 8GB. Anyone know if it's possible to actvate it for free under this scheme?

I see there are only 10 devices supported but when I go to get maps for other devices on nokia site and click on pricing info for 3.0, it says its free (but only gives the 10 handset options).

Kind of sends you in circles.

P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Lawros Tache

i cant seem to find Ireland in the drop down download menu, does this mean its not available here after all?

meep wrote: »
    have maps 3.0 already on my n95 8GB. Anyone know if it's possible to actvate it for free under this scheme?

I see there are only 10 devices supported but when I go to get maps for other devices on nokia site and click on pricing info for 3.0, it says its free (but only gives the 10 handset options).

Kind of sends you in circles.

P

Those 10 phones are S60 v5 and v3.2 phones. Nokia said somewhere that N97 is not supported yet due to software issue with the phone. I guess new versions of maps for other S60 v3 versions will be released over next few weeks, once testing has been completed and no new firmware for phones is needed. Just check the maps site regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

i cant seem to find Ireland in the drop down download menu, does this mean its not available here after all?

Click this instead:
    "Or download without data charges using PC or mac"

The drop down menu is just to send a link to your phone

what download dropdown?
    if you click on download button for one of the 10 devices, it opens the download file... no country selection for me..

Edit:Pyro Boy got in there first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭opus

Really good to hear, am hoping they release it for the N82 at some stage. There was a newer version of maps for download but it's still looking for license to navigate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Indeed a great news :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Keith186

Those 10 phones are S60 v5 and v3.2 phones. Nokia said somewhere that N97 is not supported yet due to software issue with the phone. I guess new versions of maps for other S60 v3 versions will be released over next few weeks, once testing has been completed and no new firmware for phones is needed. Just check the maps site regularly.

Read about this yesterday. The issue is that the maps need 20mb on phone memory (not mass) and the N97 and some older phones would have an issue with this apparently. I've stil got close to 40 mb free but if you have alot of apps on there it would be an issue.

Nokia said they will build it into a firmware update on 28th Jan. as a workaround and more phones will have it then, not sure if most of them or just N97 on this date.

I tried to update my maps to latest version anyway with maps loader and got "Missing phone info: IMSI or IMEI cannot be obtained (20)". Bought my phone off ebay so hopefully it'll work ok next week for free update!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Meteor seriously sucks donkey balls on the 5800 update still on 2.1 when the current version is 4.1 and you can't download this version of maps because the device softwere is not up to date!! and they don't seem to have a bollocks in hell notion on meteors forum! W**kers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Running lovely on my E72 - wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to come to older N Series (pre FP 2, eg N95/N82) though. They do want to sell new phones after all, and we've all had our money's worth out of those models bless `em.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I tried to update my N97 yesterday, discovered it wasn't available yet, and went on the Nokia official forum to see what the story was.
    A load of people who had upgraded were complaining that key features had been removed in the new release of Maps, and wanted to revert to the old version.
    Anyone upgraded yet and found it a good / bad experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭donkey balls

gcgirl wrote: »
    Meteor seriously sucks donkey balls on the 5800 update still on 2.1 when the current version is 4.1 and you can't download this version of maps because the device softwere is not up to date!! and they don't seem to have a bollocks in hell notion on meteors forum! W**kers!

excuse me gcgirl meteor are not sucking my balls:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

read about it yesterday, took awhile between reinstalling the PC suite, then the software updater, downloading this version of ovi maps, transfering it to the phone via the PC suite up untill going to bed last night. then learning ovi maps does not come with any pre installed maps when playing with it today, before going back to the website and downloading desired maps and transferring them this evening.

after all that, looks good

plus after updating my 5800 from version 10. something to the required 31. something for this app to work, graphics look better, and now have a dictionary and supposed better wifi browsing

all in all, it was a great find

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭freshfruit

Hi, I updated my E71 to OVI Maps 3.0.
    I tried to update my maps to latest version anyway with maps loader and got "Missing phone info: IMSI or IMEI cannot be obtained (20)". When I press #1000# or #06# request cannot completed.

Anybody any idea what is a workaround for this error?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

Available for N97 as well

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭freshfruit

download maps to your device without any of this maploader nonsense.

http://diabo.freehostia.com/symbian/indexmaps.htm

• Advertisement
Advertisement