Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man found dead on Bus

• 21-01-2010 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0120/maynooth.html

This is very sad but can anyone explain to me why they needed to take the roof off the bus to get the guy out? If he was dead already could they not take him down the stairs?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

dereko1969 wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0120/maynooth.html

This is very sad but can anyone explain to me why they needed to take the roof off the bus to get the guy out? If he was dead already could they not take him down the stairs?

Presumably because the rigid stretcher beds would be too cumbersome to get up and down the stairwell. You'd assume if there is an easier way then they'd have done as such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

they could have broken a window and passed a stretcher out that way.

Who pays for the broken bus? The family of the dead man?
    The bus insurance surely doesnt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Found the removal of the roof odd as well. Could they not have opened the back emergency window, assuming it was a Dublin bus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Sad thing.. But maybe he was a "large Fella"..

Friend works in hosp and they had a fairly sizeable guy in once who needed a scan of some sort but he didnt fit in the machine.. he had to carted off to the Zoo to use their larger machines!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

RIP and my sympathies to his Family.

Fire Service often get gung ho about these jobs...Theres a well known case of a guy sitting an accident victim in his car (otherwise not involved) awaiting help and losing his roof to the Fire service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The roofs on double decker buses are replacable "easily", in that it can actually be done without the bus being an economic write-off. Its not actually an easy task, but it is possible.

Dublin Bus AV167 (I didn't remember this, had to google for the incident!) has been completely de-roofed in an accident and replaced; and at least one other AV has had serious damage to the roof supports and returned to service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

if someone was very heavy it may not be possible to lift or remove them off the top deck without using lifting equipment which would require part of the roof to be lifted off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wayne2107

The roof was not cut off. The man was removed from the bus via the upstairs emergency exit. This is the rear window of the bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

wayne2107 wrote: »
    The roof was not cut off. The man was removed from the bus via the upstairs emergency exit. This is the rear window of the bus.
    news report on rte stated the roof had been cut off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

foggy_lad wrote: »
    news report on rte stated the roof had been cut off

Do you believe everything the news says?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I was on a bus one day, oddly enough coming back from Maynooth, and I could hear a phone constantly ringing every few minutes, but not being answered. Then its owner keeled over in her seat. I put her in the recovery position on the floor, called an ambulance and explained things to the driver and he evacuated the passengers to another bus.

The phone rang again and it was her friend, who explained that she had a (moderately serious) medical condition and that she would need to go to hospital. The ambulance showed up and I explained things. The ambulance crew were happy to take things from there, but I remember them looking at her, imagining her on the stretcher, looking at the stairs, looking at her, imagining her on the stretcher ... them with a consternated look on their faces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

Perhaps the folks over in the Emergency Services forum could enlighten us as to what the standard procedure for this type of thing is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

corktina wrote: »
    RIP and my sympathies to his Family.

Fire Service often get gung ho about these jobs...Theres a well known case of a guy sitting an accident victim in his car (otherwise not involved) awaiting help and losing his roof to the Fire service.

I'd rather lose my cars roof if it meant keeping any risk of injury to my (or any other persons) back and neck to an absolute minimum.
    wayne2107 wrote: »

Correct! RTE got it very very wrong. Obviously 3rd/4th hand information. Bus was very much intact.

ciarsd wrote: »
    I'd rather lose my cars roof if it meant keeping any risk of injury to my (or any other persons) back and neck to an absolute minimum.

my wife being a paramedic I can tell you with a little authority that it is seldom necessry to remove a roof

ciarsd wrote: »

my wife being a paramedic I can tell you with a little authority that it is seldom necessry to remove a roof

Having most of the family working for DFB I also feel I can reply to this thread with a little authority.

touché

corktina wrote: »
    touché

:)

Advertisement