Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Attack - What Happened? Please post all questions here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

Thanks for getting the board back up and running. Couldn't believe that I actually had to do a full days work for a change...what a bummer... :(

Anyway we all know where the attack orignated from....Biffo Cowen and his trusty henchmen "Count Dracula" Brian Lenihan and "I see flowers in the sky" Gormley. They were unhappy that we haven't been scr***d enough by the recession/budget/floods/snow/water shortage et al, so they contacted the only 2 countries in the world who are pissed off at every one else (China & Iran) and told them " Oi..do something about them lazy gits in Oirland. Stop Boards.ie and get the feckers to be more productive so we can sc**w them some more" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Tigger wrote: »
    the password was apparently password

schoolboy error

Source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

nesf wrote: »
    One assumes Tigger was pulling the piss.
    Would hope he was taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Would hope he was taking the piss.

Means the same thing.

to assume and to hope are not the same thing really. But back to nub of the issue. someone tell me Tigger was joking here. just to clear that up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

to assume and to hope are not the same thing really. But back to nub of the issue. someone tell me Tigger was joking here. just to clear that up

If the Admin passwords were dictionary words the site would have been hacked a very very long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Zylantex

[Old Skool] All our base were belong to them. [/Old Skool]

Congrats to the team on a situation very well handled.

New account, I can't access any of my old ones. Pity, some of them had great names.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Zylantex wrote: »
    New account, I can't access any of my old ones. Pity, some of them had great names.

Are you sure?
    If you post the issue in the Help Desk forum an Admin might be able to sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Zylantex

Thanks Beruthiel, I might just do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Any luck in finding the who did this or is it almost impossible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

padocon wrote: »

Any lucking finding out how the admin account, our emails and passwords were compromised?

padocon wrote: »
    from what i read they know IP address where the attack came from reading back on stuff yesterday. I think it was known to these boards but im open to correction on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

robinph wrote: »
    If your browser has been saving your passwords for various websites to automatically log you in then you can find it out from there.

How do you do that ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

... except by your former girlfriends! :p

It's safe to say Randy's account hasn't been compromised

• Registered Users Posts: 4 harveyd225

Congrats job well done :D do you know how long till adverts is back working:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

All nailed back together !!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 frostysnowman

Good Luck to the 'comeback kids' - always better the second time around. God Bless you.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭gerrykiddy

Well done lads, (and lasses). Great to get the message "welcome back"

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kabuk1

Well done on communication and getting boards back up. Can't wait for adverts to get back now.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭royan

nuxxx wrote: »
    LOL at this post.

Sorry but the original downtime was apparently due to maintenence. When Boards realised that account information was at risk they released the proper information.

Well, no - when something like this happens to a site, you switch to whatever general "site down" or "maintenance" page is already set up - you don't wait until you've crafted something more specific, when a delay could be leaving you open to further attacks, or allow a compromised system to propagate attacks to users.

("No, shut them all down... Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough, it's all my fault!")

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭royan

Why hasn't their been a technical thread about the more technical specifics?
    Full disclosure of the finer details may not be in everyone's interest - there may be weaknesses in vBulletin itself which should be propagated upstream - and there's an ongoing investigation anyway. There's likely to be false leads, you want them to report on those before they find they're false? (It was China, of course. Google was just the warm-up for this.)

One thing's for sure, the more time Conor & co spend answering these calls, the less they'll have for actually digging up answers. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Would it be wild speculation to say that this attack was linked to the numerous other high profile attacks which have taken place across the internet recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭westdublin

Guys just wondering when the site was evacuated yesterday did someone check on the people chained up in the prison forum maybe these cyber attackers found the cyber keys and opened the cyber cells......my god ....think of all the O.T.D that could have happened :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭westdublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    Would it be wild speculation to say that this attack was linked to the numerous other high profile attacks which have taken place across the internet recently?

Yes. It would be wild speculation.

It's much too early to tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

westdublin wrote: »
    Guys just wondering when the site was evacuated yesterday did someone check on the people chained up in the prison forum maybe these cyber attackers found the cyber keys and opened the cyber cells......my god ....think of all the O.T.D that could have happened :D:D:D:D
    Keys still safe :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

royan wrote: »
    there may be weaknesses in vBulletin itself which should be propagated upstream

From what we know, this was not due to a bug in vBulletin.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,904 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Conor wrote: »
    From what we know, this was not due to a bug in vBulletin.
    That's all I wanted to know... that's been my suspicions since it went down!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

oh thank god, its so good to have this board back up and running again. the will to live was slowly slipping away. I almost had to spend time talking to the wife :eek:.

welcome back guys and girls. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Well done everyone on getting the site back up and running.

Here you deserve this one:

nytolherbal.jpg

Advertisement