Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Attack - What Happened? Please post all questions here.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Any chance we can have support for OpenID login? I have more faith in Google or Yahoo to keep my password safe more than boards.ie after the recent events.
    Er Google recently got hacked to pieces by the Chinese government, so I fear your faith may be misplaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Roflmfao

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

For those of us who haven't our original email address, could I suggest that the old database be temporarily used for a separate login / change password process.

Just occurred to me also that perhaps there's some way of tracking an ip-address used from a login or previous posting as part of the validation process?

Hey there, apologies for the delay in getting to you on this - all you have to do is have a read of this announcement and it should help -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055811075

Genuine apologies for the inconvenience!!

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

The Google hack was on the contents of gmail messages, not Google accounts, whereas the boards.ie incident was on boards.ie accounts (passwords were downloaded -albeit a salted hash. Anyway, I used Google and Yahoo as examples as many would have accounts there. If I were to choose an OpenID provider I would opt for somthing like a Trustbearer token

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    Er Google recently got hacked to pieces by the Chinese government, so I fear your faith may be misplaced.

And GMail. Yahoo and Hotmail addresses regularly get hacked.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

K-9 wrote: »
    And GMail. Yahoo and Hotmail addresses regularly get hacked.

Of no fault to Google, Yahoo! or Microsoft. Just regular idiot users.

There's a difference between a vulnerability in those sites vs user idiocy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Amhran Nua wrote: »

Wasn't that a denial of service thing where they were knocked offline ? Open to correction but I don't think user details were compromised during that.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,103 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Interesting article here on how hackers targeted Google employees.

muffler wrote: »
    Interesting article here on how hackers targeted Google employees.
    Brings back memories of an attack on a high tech firm back in the late 70's where a group of studants conductes a "survey" of employees, then guessed user IDs and passwords from the information gained and gained access to their IT system.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Is there a estimate as to how long it will be before the back log of requests to have the old emails updated will be?

• Advertisement

Hey, we're dealing with it in the inbox at the moment (well actually, just me today and Sunday, then 3 of us next week). Best thing is to drop us an email just to "remind" us - we can prioritise people who actively want back in, if you get me.

The delay is embarrassing and not realy up to our standards but it's all we can do. Really sorry for it!

Darragh wrote: »
    Hey, we're dealing with it in the inbox at the moment (well actually, just me today and Sunday, then 3 of us next week). Best thing is to drop us an email just to "remind" us - we can prioritise people who actively want back in, if you get me.

The delay is embarrassing and not realy up to our standards but it's all we can do. Really sorry for it!

Yea, i sent an email this morning... re:snyper

Thats the account i want to hack,.. erm i men get back

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Hate to be a pest, but have followed all the instructions and am still waiting to be reunited with my account. is there any chance of an ETA on this

Hate to be a pest, but have followed all the instructions and am still waiting to be reunited with my account. is there any chance of an ETA on this

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We're hiring a temp to help out next week. But there are ~1500 people looking for their accounts and we have to be thorough about each one really.

I never really understood how big Boards is until it broke.... its like, not realising how fast 60 MPH is until you rapidly stop doing it. :)

Even a small issue is exploded thousands of times larger. :(

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Scrumpy Jack

DeVore wrote: »
    We're hiring a temp to help out next week. But there are ~1500 people looking for their accounts and we have to be thorough about each one really.

I never really understood how big Boards is until it broke.... its like, not realising how fast 60 MPH is until you rapidly stop doing it. :)

Even a small issue is exploded thousands of times larger. :(

DeV.

Why you can't configer a back up for a confirmation of login rather than making people jump through hoops is beyond me. I have an old account from 2002 that I have no chance of getting back. BLP and all that :(

BLP? Have you dropped us an email to hello@boards.ie?

We can help people and are helping people - we just need patience and time to help people. That's why I'm still in the office now, having started at 8am Friday ;)

We're doing what we can!

Darragh

Aplogies, that should be done now. It *should* have been done Wednesday. Sorry, sorry, sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Scrumpy Jack

BLP? Have you dropped us an email to hello@boards.ie?

We can help people and are helping people - we just need patience and time to help people. That's why I'm still in the office now, having started at 8am Friday ;)

We're doing what we can!

Darragh

Hi Darragh! I, and many others appreciate your and the teams effort. But it is amazing that with todays technology and the tools you could have at hand that you guys are are spending so much time on less efficent ways of geting logins/Passwords back to people. Just seems over complicated.

snyper wrote: »
    Yea, i sent an email this morning... re:snyper

Thats the account i want to hack,.. erm i men get back

Welcome back Snyper. It *better* be you :P

Sorry it took so long to sort but appreciate the patience :)

Darragh

• Advertisement

Hi Darragh! I, and many others appreciate your and the teams effort. But it is amazing that with todays technology and the tools you could have at hand that you guys are are spending so much time on less efficent ways of geting logins/Passwords back to people. Just seems over complicated.

At the same time though we *need* to be dead sure that the people we're giving access to are the people that own the accounts and the data.

I sat opposite two gentlemen from the Data Protection Commissioners today. Sound guys, but a daunting and draining experience and one I don't want to have to repeat.

Imagine if someone was trying to get access to your account maliciously to mess things up for you. I don't think any excuses I could give you would make up for the potential embarrassment, never mind anything else!

G'wan - drop me an email to hello@boards.ie. It's quiet now, I'll sort you if I can. Otherwise, I'm back Sunday evening to do more...

Darragh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Aplogies, that should be done now. It *should* have been done Wednesday. Sorry, sorry, sorry!

All is right with the world again. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Can I just point out that really the onus was on the user to keep their information up to date and IMO Boards are actually putting themselves out a bit by trying to reunite the people who just didn't have the interest to update their profile....

If the name and the account meant that much to you, be sure to keep your contact info current. What about other stuff you might get mailed about, the terms & conditions/policy changes, private messages etc etc

Sure, I'll get pasted for pointing it out after the fact and hindsight is 20/20 :)

yup, im back

Nice one Darragh

The community of boards thanks you for my return :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 46,103 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The community of boards thanks you for my return :pac:
    Dunno bout that ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

yup, im back

Hope they didn't find the dead bodies when they were looking into your account :pac:

I'm sure 'M' is safe now you're back :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Hi guys, any word for those of us that used an old email address that can no longer be accessed getting our accounts sorted?
    Im on the wifes laptop account atm i miss my old account :)

Yep, drop us an email to hello@boards.ie and we'll sort you as soon as we can!

Darragh

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Can I just point out that really the onus was on the user to keep their information up to date and IMO Boards are actually putting themselves out a bit by trying to reunite the people who just didn't have the interest to update their profile....

If the name and the account meant that much to you, be sure to keep your contact info current. What about other stuff you might get mailed about, the terms & conditions/policy changes, private messages etc etc

Sure, I'll get pasted for pointing it out after the fact and hindsight is 20/20 :)

In my case when I used my normal email address I kept getting spam loads of emails with forum subscription updates despite attempting to turn it off, (Doesn't happen with new subscriptions since btw).

I would have thought thought that it should have been possible to utilise the old database combined with a matching last known logged in ip address to validate a change password process? i.e. You have to know your password plus perform the change from an ip address previously used to login.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Yep, drop us an email to hello@boards.ie and we'll sort you as soon as we can!

Darragh

I appreciate ye are busy but is there any idea of a timescale on getting this sorted, Soccer forum is gone to the dogs since my absence?

Advertisement