Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Attack - What Happened? Please post all questions here.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

The Muppit wrote: »
    I appreciate ye are busy but is there any idea of a timescale on getting this sorted, Soccer forum is gone to the dogs since my absence?

Can you email me again right now and I'll sort it for you please? Hello@boards.ie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Darragh wrote: »
    Can you email me again right now and I'll sort it for you please? Hello@boards.ie :)

Thanks, Just done that now Darragh.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Will people who created new accounts while waiting have their accounts merged?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I sent a mail cause I couldn't remember what email address I used to sign up with, but remembered in the end and changed my pw.

So you can ignore the mail. :)

koolkid wrote: »
    Will people who created new accounts while waiting have their accounts merged?

Yep, they sure will :)

• Advertisement

The Muppet wrote: »
    Thanks, Just done that now Darragh.

Welcome back The Muppet!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yep, they sure will :)

I say permaban them for signing up duplicate accounts :)

Welcome back The Muppet!

Thanks Darragh, now to try and keep it.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 .Moosejam

Can I just point out that really the onus was on the user to keep their information up to date and IMO Boards are actually putting themselves out a bit by trying to reunite the people who just didn't have the interest to update their profile....

If the name and the account meant that much to you, be sure to keep your contact info current. What about other stuff you might get mailed about, the terms & conditions/policy changes, private messages etc etc

Sure, I'll get pasted for pointing it out after the fact and hindsight is 20/20 :)

So it's the users fault that boards.ie never L2security
    lol enjoy your brownie points

Erm, Moosejam, what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

.Moosejam wrote: »

Muppet!:rolleyes:

Muppet!:rolleyes:

reported for personal abuse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Ridiculous comment tbh. The lads are doing all they can in fairness to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

33xtvv7.jpg

Ridiculous comment tbh. The lads are doing all they can in fairness to them.

I didn't say anything about the lads and their efforts, but the comment by touchingvirus that the onus is on the users to keep their details and not on the site to have adequate security so this didn't happen is way off the mark.

No matter what goes down there is always someone trying to look good by giving unwarranted thumbs up or deflecting the blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I didn't say anything about the lads and their efforts, but the comment by touchingvirus that the onus is on the users to keep their details and not on the site to have adequate security so this didn't happen is way off the mark.

No matter what goes down there is always someone trying to look good by giving unwarranted thumbs up or deflecting the blame.

He meant people should keep their contact info up to date on their boards account, so when they reset their password after a hack (which happens to the biggest websites out there), it can actually reach them.

Which should be a given really.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

And there is always somebody looking to shift the blame elsewhere, not on themselves!

Look, if you had an old email address from 4/5 years ago and changed it, you should have changed your Boards email address.

That's the point. Boards having the security to avoid the attack is a different matter.

Your email address is irrelevant to Boards getting attacked. New email address = Boards still getting attacked.

Boards cannot guarantee security, they simply cannot. They can do the best they can, that's all you can expect.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    And there is always somebody looking to shift the blame elsewhere, not on themselves!

Look, if you had an old email address from 4/5 years ago and changed it, you should have changed your Boards email address.

I am 100% blame free, check the registration page the only thing it says about e-mail is

"Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We will send a validation link to this address to confirm your account.
    From time to time, the administrators may want to send you email notices.
    If you do not want to receive these notices, disable this option"

So if I've disabled receiving email because I never want one then for what I am keeping track of the information for years and years later.

If they had asked me to keep track of the information then you would have a point but they didn't so you don't.

Most websites require an email address for registration and many people will create a yahoo or hotmail address just for clicking on that one link because they don't want to give out their regular email address because it can lead to spam.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I am 100% blame free, check the registration page the only thing it says about e-mail is

"Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We will send a validation link to this address to confirm your account.

So if I've disabled receiving email because I never want one then for what I am keeping track of the information for years and years later.

If they had asked me to keep track of the information then you would have a point but they didn't so you don't.

Most websites require an email address for registration and many people will create a yahoo or hotmail address just for clicking on that one link because they don't want to give out their regular email address because it can lead to spam.

Hotmail used to expire after 3 months if you didn't use it. Not sure if still the case. It would be up to the user to either keep the account active, or change address and update Boards etc.

This is a perfect example of why disposable email addresses aren't ideal. If it's a one off thing, it's great. If its an account you use regularly, not great.

I really don't see your point. If you used an old, expired email address, your problem.

How the feck do you expect somebody to contact you if the only email address they have for you, is expired?

If my bank wants to get in contact with me about a loan and all they have is an old address or phone number, hands up, my fault. I wouldn't expect them to follow me around keeping track of me. The onus is on me to inform them.

Anyway, the email says you should enter a valid email. Pretty obvious seeing as you wouldn't get the damn email if it wasn't valid! Jaysus, people will blame "the man" for anything! Boards doesn't tell you to update your email address because it is pretty obvious! Hey bank, you should have known my old mobile number was out of service!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

If I had an outstanding loan and the bank had "lost" me, I wouldn't be helping them find me again. ;) (in reality, you are, of course obliged to keep them uptodate and they'll chase you for their money)

As for a message board, if you don't keep your profile uptodate - tough! It seems to me that boards are "going the extra mile" not all would do this.

• Advertisement

It's up to us users to keep things up to date. It never occued to me that my email was no longer valid. It was my fault that I didn't keep my profile up to date, nobody elses.

Boards could easily have washed their hands of us citing data protection as a genuine reason. They didn't, they went the extra mile and are doing their best to reunite users with their account. I'm sure they have other thing's they'd rather be doing. IMO they deserve nothing but praise for how they have handled the recent problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I've been in IT for a long time, a very long time. I have seen my share of disasters, mostly accidental, and they all take time to recover from no matter how well guarded against and regardless of the precautions taken. The bounce-back to operational status that the Boards Staff have pulled off is nothing short of spectacular. Think twice how well you or the company you work for would have coped in similar circumstances before whining, then drop the lads a PM or just thank their next post.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Troll much?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

If I had an outstanding loan and the bank had "lost" me, I wouldn't be helping them find me again. ;) (in reality, you are, of course obliged to keep them uptodate and they'll chase you for their money)

As for a message board, if you don't keep your profile uptodate - tough! It seems to me that boards are "going the extra mile" not all would do this.

Indeed. The naysayers should try getting a hacked Yahoo mail account back without being able to remember the answer to the secret question they randomly made up about 5 years before*, and then come back and see if they feel like giving out about the guys here who have bent over backwards to help folks out IMO.

* Yes it was me

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Troll much?

Troll much ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Just thought I would check back to see if there has been any information released on which foreign country this attack originated from ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Well it wasn't France...

caughtredhandedg.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I didn't know the hackers had surrendered themselves ?

texas_vs_france-300x225.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Morlar wrote: »
    Just thought I would check back to see if there has been any information released on which foreign country this attack originated from ?
    No, and I'm afraid there wont be for some time. We are under instruction not to discuss that part of things. Sorry, if we could, we would.... :( When we can, we will.

DeV.

Advertisement