Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Attack - What Happened? Please post all questions here.

Options
1151617181921»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

I was reading about man in the middle attacks earlier today. They are one thing that https is specifically used to combat :confused:. I think your point is just that https isnt a silver bullet and that you are overstating that.

MITM attacks can still affect HTTPS. the attacker passes a fake cert to the victim and establishes a session between victim and mitm and then also starts a session between the mitm and the server. There are quite a few free utilities that will perform this session management for you (as well as the whole mitm/arp poisoning) making it literally a 4 click process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

LoLth wrote: »
    MITM attacks can still affect HTTPS. the attacker passes a fake cert to the victim and establishes a session between victim and mitm and then also starts a session between the mitm and the server. There are quite a few free utilities that will perform this session management for you (as well as the whole mitm/arp poisoning) making it literally a 4 click process.

Interesting. Going way off topic now, but does this have any relation to the way SSL certs can vary in price from $10 to hundreds of euro? Or is that purely about branding/having a recognisable seal? Is there any difference in security between them?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Interesting. Going way off topic now, but does this have any relation to the way SSL certs can vary in price from $10 to hundreds of euro? Or is that purely about branding/having a recognisable seal? Is there any difference in security between them?

not 100% sure to be honest (I know one CA turns the browser bar green and claim that it cant be faked).

feel free to ask for opinions or thoughts on the Security forum. I'm sure there will be some interesting responses.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=24

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

It's the guts of two years since this happened and we've been underwhelmed with stories about the millions of people who lost everything they own because of the 'hack'.

Lets move on, I trust boards is doing everything that's reasonable to protect our sekrits.

Anyone that posts stuff that they wouldn't write on the wall outside their house and / or does not use different secure passwords for stuff that could financially hurt them in this day and age needs a big dose of common sense. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

^^^Haven't seen any....

• Advertisement

I thought that was just a tCN joke! (/sys/the cuckoos nest)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Just out of general curiosity... Whats with all these 'announcements' along the lines of "AAAAEEEEEEEIIIEEEIIEEEEEEEEEEE" (So long it stretches the page beyond normal horizontal boundries) along with a weird, seemingly unrelated video link?

At first I thought maybe the site had been hacked - Didn't click the video, didn't make head nor tale of the massive size text 'screaming' so for all I know, I could have gotten the answer simply by looking at the video or something.

Is it actually intentional? Furthermore there was no "X" to close the announcement and be rid of it. Was mostly just annoyed at how this massive text appeared and stretched the whole screen lopsided and couldn't get rid of it.

Saw it again today - Last time I saw it, before today, was the guts of a week ago. Just seems to randomly popup now and then or, more specifically, after a fresh login.

I've only ever seen that in theCuckoosNest (still there now) but no-where else on boards has it been visible to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

I thought that was just a tCN joke! (/sys/the cuckoos nest)
    I'm banned from there for posting in the "Post here if you want to get banned" Thread, I thought it was a Joke.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 46,103 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I'm banned from there for posting in the "Post here if you want to get banned" Thread, I thought it was a Joke.:(
    :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Because you were hacked once, and now I can't trust boards.ie with my preferred password.
    You only have the one password?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

You can ask nicely for it to be lifted, I hear if you send Sarky a nice pic of him as a Panto Dame done in MS paint and say pretty please there is a good chance he will lift it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Don't forget a poem about Hitler. He likes them too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Hey! What happens on Google+ STAYS on Google+!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Sarky wrote: »
    Hey! What happens on Google+ STAYS on Google+!

Yep, no chance of any of the six people who use it reposting it to facebook.

Advertisement