Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Attack - What Happened? Please post all questions here.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Huge thanks to everyone involved in getting the site back up and running.

It's so good to have it back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Brilliant work on getting the site up lads.

But even bigger thanks and commendations on the communication throughout. I don't know if other sites would be so transparent and dedicated to letting us all know what was going on, despite you all being up to your eyes!

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Yay access to my PM's to get that girls mobile number.

Its date time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Superfurry

Great to have boards up and running again, well done for handling things. Tried all my email address and looks like my account is linked to an ancient ntlworld.com email I haven't used in years - that'll teach me to keep my details up to date. Had no idea I even had this account (heh, last post 7 years ago), but I'll happily bin it if I can get super_furry back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Well done to all of you guys involved. Great reaction and good communication.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Sparky wrote: »
    Yay access to my PM's to get that girls mobile number.

Its date time!

only to find she is already out on a date with 'sparkxy' the hackster imposter! They weren't after passwords at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Ruu wrote: »
    Good job on getting everything up and running again, chums. I really appreciate the communication to the boards.ie populace. Again, sterling work. It all happened very fast.

GTFO. We know it was you.
    Attack from abroad...
    We all know that the only countries outside of Ireland with internet are the U.S.A. and Australia. You and WWM did it. Just tell the truth and hand over the passwords.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    When I seen it on BBC's website ,I thought it's great how far the site has come so far.
    My thoughts exactly!:)

Well done and thanks for all the work ye did to get Boards back to full health.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Well done lads on sorting everything out. Was keeping up to date on Twitter also and the updates were excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

well done lads for all the hard work to bring it all back up.

with boards down productivity in Ireland must have soared to an all time high... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Shiva

My wife thanks you for the downtime, and respectfully requests you do this at least once per month hereafter. Maybe twice per month once Spring arrives, 'cos the garden needs a lot of work.

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    Hi DeV, what do you think the ETA for adverts.ie will be, roughly?
    Yes I'd also like to know this. I've got a brand new WDTV I want to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Thanks so much for getting Boards back up and running!

Never think how much you love a place until it's gone.

Well done everyone involved (and all Twitter guys, you rule!)

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Well done on such a speedy return great work

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Terry wrote:
    Post here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055806709 and see if that helps.
    I just checked and I still have your number stored on meteor.ie. I also still have the PMs exchanged between us on that sale.
    That, and the info provided there should be enough to verify your account.
    Feel free to post the contents of this PM.

Thanks Terry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just a thought - would every last registered email have been sent a warning from boards? Cos there will be accounts so long dormant that the user will have prolly forgotten they were ever a member. Then an e-mail arrives, could be a lot of dazed and confused peeps stumbling around trying to get a feel for the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Well done guys! Thank the gods for Twitter or my F5 button would have been crushed. ^_^ Thank you so much for taking the time to keep the addicts updated - you may well have saved the country from rioting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Terry wrote: »
    GTFO. We know it was you.
    Attack from abroad...
    We all know that the only countries outside of Ireland with internet are the U.S.A. and Australia. You and WWM did it. Just tell the truth and hand over the passwords.

I didn't want to say anything but I think you've got it Terry. We all know Ruubot had everyone's usernames and passwords stored in that robot brain of his!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

For those who can't access the email you orginally signed up with, please see this thread by Dav :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

basquille wrote: »
    Like I said on Twatter, I have to applaud the staff over at Boards HQ who handled the situation like absolute pros!

So many sites would have simply said downtime with no real explanation, but to get full disclosure on the whole thing (was it a necessity by law, or anything?) was a welcome change.

Great to have ye back...!

LOL at this post.

Sorry but the original downtime was apparently due to maintenence. When Boards realised that account information was at risk they released the proper information.

Glad the site is back anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Great stuff lads... thanks for the site and the hard work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Well done to all involved in getting boards back up and running again.

Didn't realise how many other sites I had used the same password for as boards. Have changed them now.

Kept me busy while boards was down. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Kingkong

Its nice to know there is someone keeping an eye on security, the hackers were found out within 12 mins, that some going.

Hope everyone at HQ gets some well deserved R&R soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Big round of applause from me to all at Boards HQ for all their hard work :D

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Congrats and thanks to all at Boards.ie for getting the site back up and running so quickly. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

A great example of how to handle these breakins. Couldn't have done better myself. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

Saibh wrote: »
    Well done to all involved in getting boards back up and running again.

Didn't realise how many other sites I had used the same password for as boards. Have changed them now.

Kept me busy while boards was down. :D

+1 to that, tech team.

Hope this never happens again :).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Feck that hacker. I've taken up the ciggies to get me by the last two weeks of being without boards. How could that selfish git have done that to me. 200 a day x two weeks is a fortune on matches let alonle the cost of health non insurance for years to come.

I've spent the last 40 minutes weening myself off the smokes.

Thanks be to jeezus Daragh & co got their act together and sorted the problem !!

A Big thanks to all. PR was excellently handled. Now go to the pub, take out the company credit card and buy yiz all a load of drink, cos you've all earned it. Well done and thanks ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Very well handled - well done team.

Advertisement