Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Attack - What Happened? Please post all questions here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The favicon is missing by the way:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favicon

For those wondering what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

BuffyBot wrote: »
    For those who can't access the email you orginally signed up with, please see this thread by Dav :)
    I know someone in that situation, will let them know. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

Great work by the team, thanks lost without Reading the posts. Vary well handled.

• Moderators Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭Spocker

Well done to all, sterling work. Nuff said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

That was... Odd. I really rather hope it doesn't happen again any time soon.

Kudos on the comprehensive response and updates. We all knew the team was working its collective arse off, but it's still nice to have someone regularly telling you about it anyway.

I doubt you'll be able to comment much on further developments if it's become one of those big "investigation" things, but if you could let us know how it goes sometime that'd be great. We're a nosey bunch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Well done on the Incident response, it was well handled.

Any speculation as to what the attacker was after?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

So what was it? The usual SQL injection type of attack or something else?
    Quite a few of this type of message board that I'm signed up to have been hit like this over the last few years.

It's always a pain but it usually reminds me to change my passwords every few months or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Oh I nearly forgot, a massive thanks to everyone who helped get the site back up and running, truly heroic stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

Very well handled, from the initial actions and the workarounds, to the quick resolution and communication to the users in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭dent

Great to see you back. Well done :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Yes, sorry, I should also have added that ye did a sterling job - both getting boards back on line and keeping us updated with what was happening - thank you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

hurray, it's back!!!:cool:

but still, RTE news!:eek: I never realised how big this site is!!
    It's got a wikipedia page & all!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Golfanatic

well done, ye did a great job!!
    so who do you think won. The Goodies or the baddies? ;P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Kopdave

Once again just aquick Q. when do you think adds will be up and running?, sick of zynga poker on that fecking facebook much easier to scroll through adds all night.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

BuffyBot wrote: »
    For those who can't access the email you orginally signed up with, please see this thread by Dav :)

Might I suggest a course of action?

If someone contacts boards.ie to say they have forgotten their email address used to sign up, but can provide their username, then:
    1. Reply with the first 4 letters of the email address on file for that account.
    2. This may help the person remember the full email address and they can reset the password as normal.

If the email account no longer exists, then;
    1. Wait a few weeks.
    2. If the account remains untouched (with password not reset), then it's reasonably safe to assume that the person claiming the account as there is telling the truth.

....The above is just off the top of my head. I'm knackered and probably haven't thought everything through. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

PM me if you need anyone to 'have a word' with the perpetrators. Ive a sack of doorknobs just sitting there going to waste...this recession hasn't been kind to hired goons :(

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭fcukreg

Was the media in Belfast & Derry notified...? Irish news, Derry Journal, Belfast Telegraph, BBC NI, Downtown etc

I hope so, as boards.ie has an all-Ireland user base.

Doesn't look like it though based on boards.ie reports on media contacts..
    "Composed a Press Release and released it to relevant media.
    Contacted the Press Office of RTE.ie to organise/facilitate 6.1 News report to broaden the reach of our notice."

"Responded to media queries including RTE news, The Last Word on TodayFM, KCLR FM, Techcentral.ie, Sunday Business Post, Irish Daily Mail, Metro Herald."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Master-Geek

lol, someones gonna have fun with their rainbow tables.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Koolaboola

Hey ,well done. Imho, you were open and honest with the memebers asap. Sh*t happens and sometimes, it's how you respond is really important.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

fcukreg wrote: »
    Was the media in Belfast & Derry notified...? Irish news, Derry Journal, Belfast Telegraph, BBC NI, Downtown etc

I hope so, as boards.ie has an all-Ireland user base.

Doesn't look like it though based on boards.ie reports on media contacts..
    "Composed a Press Release and released it to relevant media.
    Contacted the Press Office of RTE.ie to organise/facilitate 6.1 News report to broaden the reach of our notice."

"Responded to media queries including RTE news, The Last Word on TodayFM, KCLR FM, Techcentral.ie, Sunday Business Post, Irish Daily Mail, Metro Herald."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/8476259.stm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Hmm.... something is missing from the original timeline.
    • 11:00 - Admin Team Meeting Agenda - How do we increase our twitter followers?
    • 11:22 – Administrative account compromised
    • 11:22 -> 11:34 – Administrative account used to insert malicious code into our software
    • Friday 20:00: Hit 2,300 followers. Tweet tweet. Release the hamsters.

Seriously, the level-headed way the crisis was handled was a credit to the boards team. Congrats to all involved, and welcome back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

On the ****in ball guys. A1

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Great to have Boards back!

Also fantastic PR job to warn everyone regarding passwords.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

You only appreciate something when its taken away from you.
    Thanks to all the Boars.ie staff, I missed my Boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Dreamtime

well done lads,glad everything is back on track

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭horse7

rock and roll,good to have you back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Glad to see it back. Anyone else dying to know which country the attack came from ?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

End of the withdrawl symptoms! Well done on the excellent feedback :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭smilerf

very well handled lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Most sites/companies with 500 times more staff wouldn't have responded half as well.

Good job, go for some beers and get some sleep!

Advertisement