Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC have increased their standalone broadband charge without notification

Options
  • 22-01-2010 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭

Right guys UPC have increased their broadband standalone charge from €6 to €8. Checked my bill this morning and the increase was on it. I rang their customer support and complained and I was told that they could increase their fees any time they wanted and that they had put ads in the newspapers. She said that in the terms and conditions they can do this. I told them I was not informed and they basically said tough, that I could disconnect if I wanted. Then asked them about Comreg and they told me they are not regulated by Comreg.
    I honestly do not see how they can just increase charges without first notifying their customers. I have sent a complaint to the consumers association, have been in touch with Comreg and have sent a complaint to UPC themselves.
    Have always stood up for UPC in the past and it is not the cost of the increase, it is the fact that they just charged me without informing me.
    I recommend that everyone paying the standalone charge complain to UPC, as if they get away with it now they will do similar things in the future.

Did You Receive Notification in writiing of standalone increase 10 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 10 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭chrism2007

i got a letter saying mine was increased. apparently its to cover the costs of new tv stations. however the "free" speed upgrades dont seem to be free after all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Why would a standalone charge pay for extra TV stations that you don't get?
    Have to say I am really not happy about this, is it true what I was told that Comreg don't regulate UPC? If so who does and who would be the proper authority to complain to.

not happy with it myself. ive thrown out the letter now so im not sure the exact details.

i think it was a few of the +1 stations. nothing id watch anyway

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    Have to say I am really not happy about this, is it true what I was told that Comreg don't regulate UPC? If so who does and who would be the proper authority to complain to.

id imagine they have to be regulated by comreg. what would make them so special that theyre not covered by consumer laws?
    comreg arent just about money. they would regulate privacy and all that craic aswell

if its in the terms and conditions that you signed theres f**k all you can do except complain unfortunately.

maybe you should take a look at the T&C and find out if any clause is mentioned about cancelling. itll probably cost you more to move though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

they are regulated by comreg but not as comprehensively as eircom voda or o2

• Advertisement

I can understand that they can increase charges etc, but surely they have to give 30 days written notice beforehand?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I can understand that they can increase charges etc, but surely they have to give 30 days written notice beforehand?

The stand alone charge is the new line rental! Watch them catch up on Eircom rapidly!:rolleyes:

As I have pointed out on here a few times in the past (to much apathy it must be admitted) UPC reserve the right to increase charges by up to 15% before you are allowed break the contract and this at a time of deflation in the economy! This increase in the stand alone charge is 33.33% (and then there are all those mysterious administration charges which UPC reserve the right to inflict on their customers and which are only available on a non existent price list! (See para 6 of the T&C's for examples)
    12. Cancellation Rights
    You may cancel the Services at any time, and the minimum period obligations contained
    in Paragraph 3 will not apply, in the following circumstances:
    (i) if we materially change the Terms and Conditions as per Section 16 you may
    terminate this Agreement in accordance with that section;
    (ii) if we increase your Charges for the Services by more than fifteen (15) percent in any
    twelve (12) month period, you may terminate your use of such Services by notifying us
    within 30 days of such increase. During that notice period the increased Charges will
    not apply to you;

Then there are all those mysterious administration charges which UPC reserve the right to inflict on their customers and which are only available on a non existent price list! (See para 6 of the T&C's for examples) How can a customer legally sign up to charges that are not quantified????
    6.2 Late Fees: If you do not make your payments on time we may withdraw any
    discount we may have given to you for payment in advance or for any other reason and
    we may also charge you a Late Fee as per the Price List.

6.3 Other Charges. We may also charge you for the following, in advance or otherwise,
    where applicable, including but not limited to: Connection Charges, Initial Payment
    Charges, Usage Charges, Access Charges, Cancellation Charges, Paper Bill Fee,
    Itemization Fee and other Miscellaneous Charges. If you want to change any of the
    Services agreed to, we may charge you a reasonable administration fee. Any such fees
    will appear in the Price List or in the other documentation that we provide to you. To
    the extent permissible by law, we may charge you a fee for not using a particular
    payment method or provide you with a discount for using a particular payment method.

I have asked UPC by email for this price list only to be told it is the list of charges for their product s that I should be looking at!!!

Elsewhere UPC make reference to notifying customers in writing of any change in terms and conditions. I have been with them in their various incarnations for over 40 years now and I dont think I was ever notified in writing of any changes in terms and conditions and certainly never by UPC.
    Any reputable company would date the current terms and conditions and make available previous termes and conditions but hey this is UPC we are talking about here the company with no obligations whatsoever to its customers:
    2.2 In supplying the Services we will always use our reasonable skill and care but are
    unable to guarantee fault free performance. The Services are provided on a best efforts
    basis and we do not warrant that any connection to, transmission over, or results of the
    Equipment or the Services will meet your requirements or will provide uninterrupted use
    or will operate as required or at any minimum speed, or error free. We can not
    guarantee minimum bandwidth delivered to you and we can not guarantee that all data
    traffic can be transported complete and without delay. If a fault occurs you should notify
    us by contacting our customer management centre. If you are unable to access the
    Services, you remain liable to pay all Charges that would otherwise apply.

chrism2007 wrote: »
    id imagine they have to be regulated by comreg. what would make them so special that theyre not covered by consumer laws?
    comreg arent just about money. they would regulate privacy and all that craic aswell

if its in the terms and conditions that you signed theres f**k all you can do except complain unfortunately.

maybe you should take a look at the T&C and find out if any clause is mentioned about cancelling. itll probably cost you more to move though

Comreg have nothing go to do with consumer law.

No they wouldn't!

UPC appear to just dole out any old rubbish that comes into their heads and have no doubt that their customers will accept it - have you ever read their explanation for charging in advance?
    Why am I being billed in advance?

You are billed in advance as our service is not a metered supply but a continuous service. We charge for the supply of the service not the usage. Similar to utilities such as telephone companies, supply charges are billed in advance.

Is there any logic or substance to that?

By the way that is one of the reasons I hate their late charges they are actually penalising people for not giving them an interest free loan on time!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 foxyyyyy

UPC did the exact same thing to me last year only it wasnt their standing charges.. It was the cost of their tc, broadband and phone services..The price increased over 6 euro.. now some mite thing, well its only 6 euro.. well 6 euro in my pocket is definitely better than theirs! I didn't get a letter or anything either and when I called to complain they just said that they advertised it in the paper.. well what paper because I didn't see it in any paper...Then again when I asked they couldnt actually tell me the name of any... anyway, I recommend paying direct debit because you are paying so much more by not doing so and remember if you dont want to pay them because of x y or z, cancel it! They clearly have their customers by the balls.

I called about getting their telephone service (which was available at the time in the apts where I live) and was talking to the most ignorant pig ever. I asked if he could check the addresses of other blocks as I was 100 percent sure other people had it and he told me it wasnt on his computer so it couldnt be and when i repeatedly asked him to please check he hung up on me! Had I had his name, there would have been world war 3, official complaints you name it! Remember when you are talking to anyone in that office, be sure to get their full name, as it may come in useful if they tell you a big load of BS!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 foxyyyyy

Im just looking at my bill and I am paying for jan-feb services but what I notice is... the vat rate... .its still at 21.5%!!!

Anyone else checked their bills yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭the_law

Yep, I've got it too, complaining on Monday...

Just received the reply from ComReg regarding regulation. Unlike what I was informed by Linda in UPC, Comreg do regulate them. I suggest everyone makes complaints to Comreg regarding this increase without notification. Haven't received a reply from UPC themselves yet or one from Consumers Association yet

Hi Tony
    Thank you for your email.
    We don’t regulate the TV aspect of the company, however we do when it comes to the phone & broadband side of it.
    Regards,

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 104 ✭✭dazzymc

Ok. so i've noticed an increase in my stand alone charge too. It's gone from €6.00 to €7.75. I called and asked why I was not informed and was told that it was on the website in all newspapers and on channel 001, (funny this one as I am being charged for not using their tv so how could I see it). I was also told that a letter was sent to me. I didn't receive one.

I called ComReg who told me to go back to them and tell them to release me from my contract at no cost to myself as they had broken the terms of my agreement. I tried calling 3 times and was placed on hold for 10 mins each time. I've sent an e-mail so will advise if anything comes back from that.

I find it annoying that the govt reduces the vat rate by 0.5% and instead of seeing a reduction in my bill, it actually increases by €1.75. I queried this with a supervisor in UPC and he said that the cost of running UPC was rising and they needed tocharge more. Bollix. It must be cheaper to run the company since they are cutting overheads etc.

Something needs to be done about this. Everyone affected should jam their phone lines and complain. Don't be complacent. If they think they can get away with this, they will keep hiling the prices.

D:eek:

Yes the more people complain about this the better and Comreg agrees that they have broken their own terms and conditions. I am waiting for a reply to my email from UPC and see what they have to say in that. I still think it is disgraceful that Linda in UPC who I was on the phone to, told me they were not regulated by Comreg, when I asked for the details of Comreg to complain to. I even said to her 'you provide telecommunications services and you are not regulated by Comreg?' and she said no and when I asked her who regulates them she told me no one.!!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 104 ✭✭dazzymc

chrism2007 wrote: »
    i got a letter saying mine was increased. apparently its to cover the costs of new tv stations. however the "free" speed upgrades dont seem to be free after all

Don't really understand how a stand alone charge for not having tv could be sold to me as an increase so I can get more tv stations in fairness.

Yes the more people complain about this the better and Comreg agrees that they have broken their own terms and conditions. I am waiting for a reply to my email from UPC and see what they have to say in that. I still think it is disgraceful that Linda in UPC who I was on the phone to, told me they were not regulated by Comreg, when I asked for the details of Comreg to complain to. I even said to her 'you provide telecommunications services and you are not regulated by Comreg?' and she said no and when I asked her who regulates them she told me no one.!!!

Unfortunately UPC in particular, but other isps too, see terms and conditions as applying only to customers rather than themselves. I have been ranting for ages about UPC's terms and conditions as I have long believed they are a disgrace. It is obvious from the tone of them that UPC see their customers as subjects to whom they issue instructions rather than people for whom they are providing a service which they are being paid good money for.

I doubt if it is some form of post modernist irony that UPC give the link to their Terms and Conditions as 'Small Print' in a very light grey colour on a bright background in particularly small print:rolleyes:

Anyways in clear black and white here is the term and condition which they have driven a coach and four through and they dont give a hoot and will continue to tell people lies about their actions.
    16. Changing the Terms and Conditions
    We retain the right to amend, modify or substitute these Terms and Conditions at any
    time and we will notify you in writing 30 days in advance of doing so if the modification,
    amendment or substitution constitutes a material change to the Terms and Conditions.
    Any such modification, amendment or substitution shall also be posted on our website at
    www.upc.ie. If the modification, amendment or substitution constitutes a material change
    to the Terms and Conditions, you have the right to withdraw from this Agreement if you
    do not accept the modification, amendment or substitution. If you do not object to the
    modification, amendment or substitution by giving notice to us within 30 days, the new
    Terms and Conditions shall then become applicable to you.

And unfortunately they have nothing to fear from any regulatory authority it would seem. I know that some people are impressed with the extra speed they offer and so on but it is important to stand back and study their general behaviour and attitude to customers which makes me fear for the future when they have more and more people on triple play and essentially can do what they like.

dazzymc wrote: »
    Don't really understand how a stand alone charge for not having tv could be sold to me as an increase so I can get more tv stations in fairness.

This is typical of them - they dole out ill thought drivel to customers whom they obviously perceive as idiots who will accept any old crap from them.

Any person with even the smallest glimmer of common sense would know that such a letter is offensive.

dazzymc wrote: »
    Ok. so i've noticed an increase in my stand alone charge too. It's gone from €6.00 to €7.75. I called and asked why I was not informed and was told that it was on the website in all newspapers and on channel 001, (funny this one as I am being charged for not using their tv so how could I see it). I was also told that a letter was sent to me. I didn't receive one.

I called ComReg who told me to go back to them and tell them to release me from my contract at no cost to myself as they had broken the terms of my agreement. I tried calling 3 times and was placed on hold for 10 mins each time. I've sent an e-mail so will advise if anything comes back from that.

I find it annoying that the govt reduces the vat rate by 0.5% and instead of seeing a reduction in my bill, it actually increases by €1.75. I queried this with a supervisor in UPC and he said that the cost of running UPC was rising and they needed tocharge more. Bollix. It must be cheaper to run the company since they are cutting overheads etc.

Something needs to be done about this. Everyone affected should jam their phone lines and complain. Don't be complacent. If they think they can get away with this, they will keep hiling the prices.

D:eek:

You would have to feel sorry for them ok:rolleyes:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2009/1106/1224258186216.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

dub45 wrote: »
    You would have to feel sorry for them ok:rolleyes:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2009/1106/1224258186216.html

Jaysus feckin H

Added a poll, please let us know if you received written notification prior to stand alone increase this month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Sorry :o what is a standalone broadband charge?

If you only use UPC for broadband and not their TV and or phone service as well they charge you extra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

If you only use UPC for broadband and not their TV and or phone service as well they charge you extra.

Ah ok. I have their TV service as well as the broadband from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 culturedkevin

Just rang to complain about same. Why the extra charge and the upgarde from 3mb to 5mb (my package) requires you to sign a new 12mth contract. She told me the price increase was due to upgrading the network around the country BULL SH1T the new customer in that area pay for that and as for the speed upgrade I didn't have to take the upgrade even though the letter they send out would lead you to belive that it was just a case of registeing for it.

When I said that when the contract was up I was going to leave she said thats fine and hung up. B1tch

Who the fcuk do they think they are? Its good to know they don't need my custom.

Just rang to complain about same. Why the extra charge and the upgarde from 3mb to 5mb (my package) requires you to sign a new 12mth contract. She told me the price increase was due to upgrading the network around the country BULL SH1T the new customer in that area pay for that and as for the speed upgrade I didn't have to take the upgrade even though the letter they send out would lead you to belive that it was just a case of registeing for it.

When I said that when the contract was up I was going to leave she said thats fine and hung up. B1tch

Who the fcuk do they think they are? Its good to know they don't need my custom.

Comreg has told me and others that you can leave them with no penalty as the price increase wasn't notified in writing beforehand, and that beaches their terms and conditions

Comreg has told me and others that you can leave them with no penalty as the price increase wasn't notified in writing beforehand.

Where to though?? IBB i dont think so kinda stuck between a rock and a hard

place

bryaner wrote: »
    Where to though?? IBB i dont think so kinda stuck between a rock and a hard

place

Yeah I know. Like I say I wouldn't mind the extra charge, but just adding it on without notifying you isn't on.

• Advertisement

Wimax was being touted as the dogs bollox,

all imagine is offering is 7meg connection on

that, so taking contention into perspective

what would you get? (not that their in navan anyway)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement