Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC have increased their standalone broadband charge without notification

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

bryaner wrote: »
    Wimax was being touted as the dogs bollox,

all imagine is offering is 7meg connection on

that, so taking contention into perspective

what would you get? (not that their in navan anyway)

Wimax seems to be crap have a look here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055709982

• Registered Users Posts: 36 culturedkevin

i'd nearly put up with the extra charge as well if i recieved propper notification and I didn't have to sign up to a new 12mth contract. That for me is the deal breaker.

i'd nearly put up with the extra charge as well if i recieved propper notification and I didn't have to sign up to a new 12mth contract. That for me is the deal breaker.

If you haven't got the upgrade yet, you can wait until March and you will get it automatically then and no new contract.

Sounds good. How does that work? B1tch on the phone said nothing like that.

They are upgrading all current users in march anyway and you don't have to sign a new contract then. You only have to sign the new contract if you get them to do the upgrade early, and as you can see from the thread below, a lot of us of getting worse speeds after the upgrade than we were before it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055764097

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

E mail from UPC

At 08:25 27/01/2010, you wrote:

Ref: 755614

Dear Tony Moore,

Thank you for your recent email.

Please note the press announcement appeared in the following national daily newspapers on 1st December 2009, The Irish Independent, the Irish Examiner and the Daily Star announcing the changes in the currect rates.

Also it was already posted on the website hence we are unable to refund the charges which has been applied on the invoice.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to email us on customer.support@upc.ie

Kind regards,
    Manisha

My reply (not expecting anything TBH)

Hi Manisha, thanks for your reply. Please read your own terms and conditions "we will notify you in writing 30 days in advance of doing so " . You did not notify me in writing therefore you have broken your own terms and conditions. Notices in the national press etc do not constitute notification and frankly this is a poor attempt to abdicate your contractual responsibilities. Is it not my responsibility to check newspapers and your web site in case the contract terms change.

I must insist that the charge is refunded until such time as I have been notified in writing and thirty days have elapsed from that time.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Thats telling them. Anything back from them yet?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Thats telling them. Anything back from them yet?

What a surprise! A company that does not know it's own terms and conditions:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Tony wrote: »
    Hi Manisha <snip>

Well done. This excuse of "it was in news papers" is complete rubbish. Also nice to see you quote their own terms to them. :)

Thanks guys. Just replied back this morning, honestly dont see them doing anything but I did want to make the point to them. Usually in situations like this I would go with an alternative supplier but they seem to be the best of a bad lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭techdiver

Thanks guys. Just replied back this morning, honestly dont see them doing anything but I did want to make the point to them. Usually in situations like this I would go with an alternative supplier but they seem to be the best of a bad lot.

This is the crux of the issue.

I'm in the same boat, would love to change supplier, especially as they now charge me more on an ongoing basis for an identical package as they would to a new customer. Introductory offers are one thing, but a 2 tiered pricing structure is a joke!

They know they have a practical monopoly on the market, especially in apartments as even if magnet etc are available, they have an even worse service. Without real competition nothing will improve for existing customers and they will keep increasing prices year on year despite the cost of doing business going down and revenues going up!

paulm17781 wrote: »
    Well done. This excuse of "it was in news papers" is complete rubbish. Also nice to see you quote their own terms to them. :)

Indeed and seeing how they are sticklers for the direct debit scheme anyone disputing this charge should point out to them that under the terms of the direct debit scheme (available at www.ipso.ie) disputed amounts should not be debited - no doubt they will be only too eager to comply!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

And if they do not take this on board please complain to ispo who basically run the disastrous direct debit scheme.

techdiver wrote: »
    This is the crux of the issue.

I'm in the same boat, would love to change supplier, especially as they now charge me more on an ongoing basis for an identical package as they would to a new customer. Introductory offers are one thing, but a 2 tiered pricing structure is a joke!

They know they have a practical monopoly on the market, especially in apartments as even if magnet etc are available, they have an even worse service. Without real competition nothing will improve for existing customers and they will keep increasing prices year on year despite the cost of doing business going down and revenues going up!

This is exactly why I am forever asking people to stand back and think about UPC's behaviour, their terms and conditions etc which display alarming tendencies to think that the customer is simply there for UPC's convenience.
    The more power they get the worse they will become and in due course we will be nostalgic for Eircom! UPC consistently demonstrate as with their behavior in relation to this stand alone charge that they have contempt for their customers and that they can foist any old garbage on them and they will accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Anyone have the original price increases? I don't see why they had to increase their BB Light monthly charge or their basic TV package. Just seem that they want people of those packages. Just got the letter in the post today.

Also I contacted ComReg about their 15 euro downgrade charge. ComReg don't regulate their price at all.

Surprise Surprise, 4 days after I complained to them I receive a letter informing of the charges. However the letter is dated 22nd January 2010 to inform me they have increased their charges from 1st January! That is not 30 days notice!!!! However in small print at the bottom of the letter

"The Chorus NTL broadband service remains excellent value, however under the terms of your contract you have the right to cancel or downgrade your service within 30 days without penalty if you do not agree with these tariff changes"

So it looks like, F**k you customers we will do what we want, when we want, and if you don't like it leave. Like I have said previously I don't mind the increase €2 ain't much, but I really find it offensive the manner in which they did it. No regard for their customers or their own terms and conditions.:mad:

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    Surprise Surprise, 4 days after I complained to them I receive a letter informing of the charges. However the letter is dated 22nd January 2010 to inform me they have increased their charges from 1st January! That is not 30 days notice!!!! However in small print at the bottom of the letter

"The Chorus NTL broadband service remains excellent value, however under the terms of your contract you have the right to cancel or downgrade your service within 30 days without penalty if you do not agree with these tariff changes"

So it looks like, F**k you customers we will do what we want, when we want, and if you don't like it leave. Like I have said previously I don't mind the increase €2 ain't much, but I really find it offensive the manner in which they did it. No regard for their customers or their own terms and conditions.:mad:

Sums them up perfectly! Terms and conditions are only for customers to comply with (and UPC are not alone here).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Where did you read this? and does it only apply to Broadband. Ah the small print. But does it apply to TV service?

Elmo wrote: »
    Where did you read this? and does it only apply to Broadband. Ah the small print. But does it apply to TV service?

As I said above it is in small print on the bottom of the letter regarding the increase in the broadband standalone charge.

One was around this is to get their phone package as well without any add on, the phone package on it's own costs only €6 instead of the €8 standalone charge :) You'll also receive a free phone from them for this. So would advise anyone paying the standalone charge to add on the basic phone package, cost UPC the free phone and end up paying €2 less a month. However I can't get it as they say the line isn't suitable, even though I use Blueface on my connection all the time and have never had a problem with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

One was around this is to get their phone package as well without any add on, the phone package on it's own costs only €6 instead of the €8 standalone charge :) However I can't get it as they say the line isn't suitable, even though I use Blueface on my connection all the time and have never had a problem with it.

Well spotted. I have the opposite problem have the phone and neither it or blue face would work properly. I was going to drop it and the TV. But if its cheaper no point.

• Advertisement

Are you sure Tony as its says this on their site

"Price shown is when added to an existing TV connection. Otherwise a Fibre Power Broadband Standalone Charge of €8 a month applies."

No mention of phone connection

One was around this is to get their phone package as well without any add on, the phone package on it's own costs only €6 instead of the €8 standalone charge :) You'll also receive a free phone from them for this. So would advise anyone paying the standalone charge to add on the basic phone package, cost UPC the free phone and end up paying €2 less a month. However I can't get it as they say the line isn't suitable, even though I use Blueface on my connection all the time and have never had a problem with it.

Yeah sorry it still does apply even when you have the phone :mad: Sorry about that, suppose it shouldn't really be called Broadband standalone then. Sorry about that.

Just got a email reply from my mail on Friday complaining, and its says they put it in the newspapers!! That is not notification, what do they expect me to buy the papers everyday and read them all, just in case the terms and conditions of my contract with UPC will change.
    Just as a matter of interest did anyone see this in the papers? Somewhere, they said we are increasing our standalone charge?

"The change in cost was to the broadband standalone fee. This change was implemented on January 4th and as as required by Law we have to give customer's 30 days notice and this was in the National Papers on December 4th."

I made that point to them. Newspapers do not qualify as notice in writing

Just got a email reply from my mail on Friday complaining, and its says they put it in the newspapers!! That is not notification, what do they expect me to buy the papers everyday and read them all, just in case the terms and conditions of my contract with UPC will change.
    Just as a matter of interest did anyone see this in the papers? Somewhere, they said we are increasing our standalone charge?

"The change in cost was to the broadband standalone fee. This change was implemented on January 4th and as as required by Law we have to give customer's 30 days notice and this was in the National Papers on December 4th."

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 104 ✭✭dazzymc

I made that point to them. Newspapers do not qualify as notice in writing

I actually brought this up with ComReg and they said that unfortunately, advertising a change of terms in the national papers does release them from having to notify in writing. How stupid. I buy a newspaper to read about current affirs so would rarely take notice of "advertisements" like this.

I received a letter today, 2 days after complaining. Something weird is happening here. They need a wake up call. If I gave my e-mail address out here, who would be willing for me to talk for a group of people and threaten to leave this company and see what they say?????? Just an idea. Group collective bargaining might persuade them????

dazzymc wrote: »
    I received a letter today, 2 days after complaining. Something weird is happening here. They need a wake up call. If I gave my e-mail address out here, who would be willing for me to talk for a group of people and threaten to leave this company and see what they say?????? Just an idea. Group collective bargaining might persuade them????

You'll probably get the same answer I got when I rang to complain,

"You can leave if you want..."

dazzymc wrote: »
    I actually brought this up with ComReg and they said that unfortunately, advertising a change of terms in the national papers does release them from having to notify in writing. How stupid. I buy a newspaper to read about current affirs so would rarely take notice of "advertisements" like this.

Then comreg is wrong and they dont know much about contractual law, remember UPC say in their terms ""we will notify you in writing 30 days in advance of doing so " . If national newspapers were a legal means to notify someone in writing then many more people would use it knowing full well that the intended recipient may never see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Yeah sorry it still does apply even when you have the phone :mad: Sorry about that, suppose it shouldn't really be called Broadband standalone then. Sorry about that.

Broadband without TV maybe?

Because your paying for not having it.

Is there no law against charging you not to have something?

• Advertisement

Then comreg is wrong and they dont know much about contractual law, remember UPC say in their terms ""we will notify you in writing 30 days in advance of doing so " . If national newspapers were a legal means to notify someone in writing then many more people would use it knowing full well that the intended recipient may never see it.

That's what they said. And she said it fulfils their contractual obligations.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement