Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC have increased their standalone broadband charge without notification

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Comreg told me that it was a breach of their terms and conditions, but said they only benefit for me was that I could terminate the contract without penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

dazzymc wrote: »
    That's what they said. And she said it fulfils their contractual obligations.

Shes misinformed. Imagine I had a monthly maintenance contract with a company and I doubled the charge without telling them, do you thing the defence of " Oh I put a small ad in the herald" last month would absolve me of any responsibility?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 104 ✭✭dazzymc

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    Comreg told me that it was a breach of their terms and conditions, but said they only benefit for me was that I could terminate the contract without penalty.

weird, huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I've always disagreed with the standalone charge. Why not offer it up as a discount fdor taking the two or three services together, rather than a penalty for those who don't? I reckon that would be a superior sales tactic tbh.

Either way, it's €8 - or really €2 given I signed up with the €6 charge in place. I won't be losing any sleep over it.

sdonn wrote: »
    I've always disagreed with the standalone charge. Why not offer it up as a discount fdor taking the two or three services together, rather than a penalty for those who don't? I reckon that would be a superior sales tactic tbh.

Either way, it's €8 - or really €2 given I signed up with the €6 charge in place. I won't be losing any sleep over it.

You're missing the point. They didn't advise us of the charge going up and now are treating us all like idiots when we call to enquire about it.

• Advertisement

Its not the amount, it is the principle

Its not the amount, it is the principle

I agree.

Tell them you will give them 30 days notice to cancel, but it will be in a daily newspaper at some stage, so pay attention :)

Tell them you will give them 30 days notice to cancel, but it will be in a daily newspaper at some stage, so pay attention :)

LOLOLOL
    :D:):D:)

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

Nobody mentioned it but UPC also increased their Phone from €5 to €6. I hate it but it looks like I'll be leaving them after less than two months of service. I hated leaving Eircom in the middle of the contract but at least they sent a letter and accepted my cancellation in a similar situation relatively easy. Not sure it will be easy with UPC as I've never dealt with them before but the consensus seems it won't.
    Everybody hurts :(

• Advertisement

none wrote: »
    Nobody mentioned it but UPC also increased their Phone from €5 to €6. I hate it but it looks like I'll be leaving them after less than two months of service. I hated leaving Eircom in the middle of the contract but at least they sent a letter and accepted my cancellation in a similar situation relatively easy. Not sure it will be easy with UPC as I've never dealt with them before but the consensus seems it won't.
    Everybody hurts :(

Just tell them they are in breach of their terms and conditions regarding 30 days notice and you are entitled to cancel without penalty

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

That's you who got the hardcopy of that statement, I have no such letter yet. But I'm seriously upset by their customer support and now this hike... Gotta find another ISP in Dun Laoghaire (Smart, Magnet, Vodafone, ?) :cool:

none wrote: »
    That's you who got the hardcopy of that statement, I have no such letter yet. But I'm seriously upset by their customer support and now this hike... Gotta find another ISP in Dun Laoghaire (Smart, Magnet, Vodafone, ?) :cool:

Makes no difference not having the letter, that is the point, they did not give you 30 days notice of the change. Comreg told me as well it was a breach of their terms and conditions.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Tony wrote: »
    Then comreg is wrong and they dont know much about contractual law, remember UPC say in their terms ""we will notify you in writing 30 days in advance of doing so " . If national newspapers were a legal means to notify someone in writing then many more people would use it knowing full well that the intended recipient may never see it.

What an appalling indictment of Comreg:eek: I wonder did they base this on some arbitrary rule that they have themselves or a lack of gumption whereby it might occur to them to actually read UPC's terms and conditions?

And to think we have to rely on them to 'protect' us. Is it any wonder that UPC feel that they can do what they like with Terms and Conditions?:rolleyes:

And sadly that's how UPC can get away with this. It may be 'only' €2 but its an increase of 331/3% in a period of deflation. Its bad enough that UPC have a clause in their Terms and Conditions which allows them to increase their charges by up to 15% and you can't terminate their contract but to actually increase a charge by a third when everywhere prices are falling speaks for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,410 ✭✭✭billbond4

I got my letter from the nice people in UPC yesterday as well, they are some shower.
    Imagine the uproar if O2 decided to change Tariffs and only give people 6 days to decide if they wanted to go onto the new more expensive tariff or leave.
    It would be getting a lot more press.

Should it not be a Matter for Consumer affairs not Comreg, i.e. cancelling your old tariff and up'ing you onto a new more expensive one??

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

dub45 wrote: »
    And sadly that's how UPC can get away with this. It may be 'only' €2 but its an increase of 331/3% in a period of deflation. Its bad enough that UPC have a clause in their Terms and Conditions which allows them to increase their charges by up to 15% and you can't terminate their contract but to actually increase a charge by a third when everywhere prices are falling speaks for itself.

It is also €24 a year extra. The have increase the bill from €12 to €24 for most customers.

Going to email them, misleading information on their webpage, Fu**dogs is all they are....

http://www.upc.ie/about_us/Price_Changes/

We’re giving our broadband customers faster speeds for no additional cost. We’ve launched our amazing Fibre Power Broadband 30Mb service. We’ve supported this with improvements to our upload speeds so if you’d like to upgrade your existing Broadband pack simply complete this form.

I draw your attention to the first line :D

Yeah I pointed this out to them as well, and the answer? The broadband charge hasn't increased just the broadband standalone charge!
    But definitely do ring and complain about it. The more people complaining the better. I reckon the amount of people calling them and emailing them to complain has already wiped out the extra profit from the €2 for this year anyway :)

I sent them this.....

I draw your attention to your web page http://www.upc.ie/about_us/Price_Changes/
    Third Paragraph
    "We’re giving our broadband customers faster speeds for no additional cost. We’ve launched our amazing Fibre Power Broadband 30Mb service.
    We’ve supported this with improvements to our upload speeds so if you’d like to upgrade your existing Broadband pack simply complete this form. "
    My previous bill was 28.01€ (3MB + Standalone Charge) it is now 29.75€ (BB Value + Fibre Power Broadband Standalone Charge)
    How can an increase of 1.74€ per month be no additional cost?

I received by one months notice of increase Broadband Standalone Charge on 25th of January, for a Tarriff that I did not wish to change to.
    Which came into effect on the 21st of January, so Thank you for -4 days notice of the change.

• Advertisement

How about getting People to sign up to receive paper billing :D
    That will shave some of the 2€ profit :D
    Thats what I did, mwhoo haaa haaa (Evil laugh)

Yeah I found it strange that my last bill was €38.01? I know it is only a cent but still not meant to be €38.01 :)

I have resisted up to now on pointing out to people what adding more fibre to your (broadband ?) diet results in!:)

By the way can I point out to people again - UPC charge people whose direct debit bounces €11! They do not warn people of this charge when they are signing up for direct debit. The bank charges UPC just under a euro for each direct debit so UPC get a 'clean' €10 each time a direct debit bounces. Now UPC have over 500,000 customers - I understand from discreet inquiries I made that 10% is a conservative enough figure for the number of dds bouncing particularly in the present climate. So lets say 50,000 dds bounce each billing period UPC could make 500,000 euros for absolutely nothing. And from a charge that they do not advise people on when they sign up for direct debits. No wonder they appear to have moved back to monthly billing.

Remember no matter how fast a speed they offer you that is the sort of company you are dealing with.

The dd system is bad enough with its blatant weaknesses but it is absolutely disgraceful that it can been turned into a money making racket in this way.

billbond4 wrote: »
    How about getting People to sign up to receive paper billing :D
    That will shave some of the 2€ profit :D
    Thats what I did, mwhoo haaa haaa (Evil laugh)

Do they not charge you for paper billing? In any event they wont send you out a paper bill unless your monthly amount changes afaik. They just give you notice that you will be billed xxxx amount each month or bimonthly and this is acceptable under the direct debit system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I remember when I was working for UPC and they brought in the standalone charge. It happened in January, too. Yes, they are obliged to give notice of an increase in such charges. But what they actually do, to create as little fuss as possible from customers, is run small ads in the national papers in the run up to Christmas, when no one's paying any attention. Thus they fulfil their legal obligation to disclose the increase in the charge, while drawing as little attention to it as possible.

Us CSRs used to dread January as the company would announce all the upcoming changes to standard charges internally the month before. January was always the month with lots more complaints than usual! They brought in the downgrade charge for premium channels in January too.

boomerang wrote: »
    I remember when I was working for UPC and they brought in the standalone charge. It happened in January, too. Yes, they are obliged to give notice of an increase in such charges. But what they actually do, to create as little fuss as possible from customers, is run small ads in the national papers in the run up to Christmas, when no one's paying any attention. Thus they fulfil their legal obligation to disclose the increase in the charge, while drawing as little attention to it as possible.

Us CSRs used to dread January as the company would announce all the upcoming changes to standard charges internally the month before. January was always the month with lots more complaints than usual! They brought in the downgrade charge for premium channels in January too.

Their own terms and conditions require them to notify customers in writing.
    16. Changing the Terms and Conditions
    We retain the right to amend, modify or substitute these Terms and Conditions at any
    time and we will notify you in writing 30 days in advance of doing so if the modification,
    amendment or substitution constitutes a material change to the Terms and Conditions.
    Any such modification, amendment or substitution shall also be posted on our website at
    www.upc.ie. If the modification, amendment or substitution constitutes a material change
    to the Terms and Conditions, you have the right to withdraw from this Agreement if you
    do not accept the modification, amendment or substitution. If you do not object to the
    modification, amendment or substitution by giving notice to us within 30 days, the new
    Terms and Conditions shall then become applicable to you.

Note that it makes no mention of using newspapers as a method of notification.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I must disagree, their own terms say otherwise.

boomerang wrote: »
    Thus they fulfil their legal obligation to disclose the increase in the charge, while drawing as little attention to it as possible.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

If you disagree with any of the charge increases you many ask to have your subscription downgraded without incurring a downgrade charge according to the NCA. (within 30 days of notification).

Emailed UPC a few days ago, asked for a downgrade on my DTV sub as I do not agree with the increased sub.

Was informed that I have only just upgraded so the charge would apply, advised that I only upgraded to Multiroom and Plus not the DTV package.

Waiting reply.

Elmo wrote: »
    If you disagree with any of the charge increases you many ask to have your subscription downgraded without incurring a downgrade charge according to the NCA. (within 30 days of notification).

Emailed UPC a few days ago, asked for a downgrade on my DTV sub as I do not agree with the increased sub.

Was informed that I have only just upgraded so the charge would apply, advised that I only upgraded to Multiroom and Plus not the DTV package.

Waiting reply.

Did you get a letter notifying you of the increase? iF you did, in small print at the bottom of the letter it should state that you can downgrade or cancel without penalty.

• Advertisement

Did you get a letter notifying you of the increase? iF you did, in small print at the bottom of the letter it should state that you can downgrade or cancel without penalty.

It only mentions Broadband in that letter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement