Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RIGHT! - problem with Flexaret

• 22-01-2010 9:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭

http://pix.ie/sineadw/1466222/in/album/367040

This is one of the shots I developed on NYE with Thonda. It's massively overdeveloped (we had a slight breakdown in communications, resulting in it being in the dev for an extra 2 minutes -oops :D) and its soft as hella, but wtf is the brown splodge at the bottom? Its only on a few frames from the roll and it hasn't happened before. It would have been a fairly fast shutter speed - could that be it?

Had great craic developing everything btw - would heartily recommend it :) A few more in that album - some from my very first ever boards meet in Charleville over 3 years ago :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Oooh a real post for the second back :-)
    Have to have a read of the post now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I've been dying to post that! Oh and I have a swan image and all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Why I don't like seeing words Flexaret and problem in one sentence? :o

:) I have a feeling its the higher shutter speed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

hmmm.

It could be ...
    1. something inside the camera, between the lens and film

2. something screwed up with the shutter, I've never seen a failing leaf shutter before so I don't know what they look like, I guess this could be one of the leaves of the shutter or something though ?

3. something in front of the taking lens. I've done this a few times, forgotten that the taking lens is a couple of inches lower than the viewing lens, and gotten something in front of the taking lens. If it's exactly the same shape each time though then I don't know. Is there a case on the flexaret with a foldy down bit on the front ? (this was responsible for one or two of my 124 screwups...)

4. Development error, I don't know precisely what might cause this in development.

-edit-
    Actually, I've noticed that it doesn't extend past the border of the image, so looks like we can rule out development errors.

Other than that they look fine, I'm constantly amazed at the abuse you can put negative film through and still get a usable image. Compensation and colour correction in scanning helps of course ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Did you have the leather carrying case on it? It looks like the bottom part of that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

If this were a problem with the shutter in the camera, it would be a straight line across the film.

This looks like slide film? 120 6x6cm?

Is there any chance you can place all the pieces of this down in order on a light table & take a shot of it. I'd like to see the pattern of them on the film. The pattern, distance, and intensity can tell a lot about a problem in the development of film like this. The sharpness of the edges of each one in the pattern will tell a lot as well.

If I had to make a guess right now.. I'd say this is probably the result of a light strike. If the pattern starts at the END of the film as very strong and gets weaker towards the beginning of the roll, and changes size, then that's probably what it is.

If the pattern is the same shape & size, then it was probably something in direct contact with the film during processing, keeping the chemistry from reaching parts of the film.

Heebie wrote: »
    If this were a problem with the shutter in the camera, it would be a straight line across the film.

If it were a focal plane shutter, then yes, the flexaret has a leaf shutter though.

It's probably not a light leak either as that would cause flarey streaks across the film, just in the image area if there was a light leak in the lens box, or all across the rebate aswell if the light leak was in the back somewhere.
    If the pattern is the same shape & size, then it was probably something in direct contact with the film during processing, keeping the chemistry from reaching parts of the film.

I was thinking something development related, but it's confined to the image area. Most likely culprit i'd say is something obscuring the taking lens. Probably an ever ready case if there's one on the camera as I said above (before fajitas I'd like to add ! Hrmph !). I've done the same thing on my yashica mat and the resukts looked similar.

(before fajitas I'd like to add ! Hrmph !)

Leather carrying case > foldy down bit on the front

:D

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Leather carrying case > foldy down bit on the front

:D

ahem ahem

"Is there a case on the flexaret with a foldy down bit on the front ?" = "carrying case."

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

tl;dr

:pac:

Fajitas! wrote: »
    tl;dr

:pac:

I actually had to go and google that. Me old. Now if you'll excuse me I have to catch up on my memes.

A cat, you say ? In the ceiling, you say ? Intrigueing !

I had to look it up too - youngins...

Hmmm... it's probably the carry case alright - its just on a few and they were all taken at the same time. Oops :D

Next installment - problem with Fed (rangefinders don't seem to like me)

Thanks guys :o

Advertisement