Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rabbit habit

Options
  • 22-01-2010 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Just wondering about a habit one of my rabbits has picked up and wondering if it means anything? Basically she pulls a lot of her bedding in under her with her front paws and then pushes her front paws under it and stretches out so all the bedding moves away from her. She seems quite content doing this and will do her crazy little jumps at the time. Just wondering if it's a sign of anything or is it just a funny thing to watch?

Also, what sort of toys can I give them to play with? They love toilet rolls and we also got them a plastic cat ball with a bell inside each. They love picking these up and throwing them around! They also have free reign of our large kitchen for a few hours in the evening but I'm worried about them getting bored with the same things!
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

ergonomics wrote: »
    Just wondering about a habit one of my rabbits has picked up and wondering if it means anything? Basically she pulls a lot of her bedding in under her with her front paws and then pushes her front paws under it and stretches out so all the bedding moves away from her. She seems quite content doing this and will do her crazy little jumps at the time. Just wondering if it's a sign of anything or is it just a funny thing to watch?

My own rabbit Rebel does the pulling-and-pushing thing too. I think it's just something rabbits do; Rebel seems to enjoy it.

Those crazy little jumps you described sound like binkies. Rabbits do them when they're really happy.
    http://language.rabbitspeak.com/rabbittalk_binkies.html

ergonomics wrote: »
    Also, what sort of toys can I give them to play with? They love toilet rolls and we also got them a plastic cat ball with a bell inside each. They love picking these up and throwing them around! They also have free reign of our large kitchen for a few hours in the evening but I'm worried about them getting bored with the same things!
    Thanks!

I wouldn't be too worried with them getting bored. As long as you've got an ample supply of toilet rolls. And they do have each other to play with.

What you could do though, is...

1) If you've got an old phone book, leave it somewhere where they can scratch, bite and rip it to shreds.

2) Stuff pieces of your rabbits' favourite treat and some hay into a toilet roll, so they have to work to get the treat. Keeps Rebel occupied. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Bunny Kabobs seem to be popular, never used them. Used a rabbit treat ball which one the buns loves. zooplus have some cool toys http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/rodents/toys_transport/rabbit_toys

There's a bunny kong now which is cool, never seen them before.

Or cardboard boxes of various sizes, or a diggy box..large shallow box filled with safe litter or peat for the buns to dig in..messy but fun.

Advertisement