Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary Ann - short film

Options
  • 22-01-2010 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hey Hey,

Just made a short film for college last semester and I'd appreciate any feedback that you guys can offer. I should probably point out that none of us are film students so try and grade on a curve :) Hope you enjoy it, i decided to add "pasta, sex, murder" to the tags!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCdNmsvU-mo

Thanks a lot,

Oh and I swear this isn't my first post :D Had to start a new account cos of all this madness that's been going on here lately.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Hey Hey,

Just made a short film for college last semester and I'd appreciate any feedback that you guys can offer. I should probably point out that none of us are film students so try and grade on a curve :) Hope you enjoy it, i decided to add "pasta, sex, murder" to the tags!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCdNmsvU-mo

Thanks a lot,

Oh and I swear this isn't my first post :D Had to start a new account cos of all this madness that's been going on here lately.
    Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭ciencin

Nice edit, I didn't had audio when looking at it but liked it overall.

The mouse scene & the fast forwarded scene in the kitchen were nicely done.

Few suggestions to improve on imo:

- Shots in the corridor and at the door were badly lit, even a few table lamps or a cheap flood light with diffusion paper would have made those shots a lot better
    - Scene in the kitchen > 0:52 - 0:58, when it changes from shots of the guy to the girl, and then back, the light changes dramatically. The guy is well lit, and it looks like the girl didnt have any light on her at all. Since they are sitting right beside each other, the color temp should be around the same, as to me it looks like they are not at the same table...

Otherwise good work

P.S. what camara did yous use?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 big stripey lie

Cool, Thanks for checking it out.

We used a Panasonic DVX-100: our lecturer was thrilled when she saw we put it in the oven, but I'd say the technicians in the department weren't so amused :) That you still liked it silent is a good thing. Most of the compliments so far have been how the story and the editing suited the music.

- The lighting? Yeah, that was a tough one alright. That hallway was just too narrow for us to be honest. We just used a standard red-head lamp and used the ceiling to diffuse it. We tried putting the lamp closer to the action but then there was no room to walk!

- I know what you mean about the table scene. To be honest that was intentional, to illustrate the different worlds the two are in, so you have the different backgrounds behind each of them, and either 'warm' or 'cold' for their personalities and how they feel about each other. Another thing was the fact that most of the film is in that one kitchen and trying to find new interesting angles to shoot it as time went on. God i think in the final cut there are 40 different camera angles in that one room :)

Ha, glad you liked lil' benito. Took a while to get a good performance out of him. Seriously, now I know why they say never work with children or animals!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 big stripey lie

I guess after 7 months there's no harm in a little bump

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

I won't go into all the technical yada yada....... I thought this was a great little clip. Well done.

• Advertisement
Advertisement