Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Broken Again.

Options
  • 22-01-2010 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭

I bought a toshiba Qosmio F55-Q502 off a fela on adverts back in june 2009.It was bought in a best buy in USA on January 5th,2009.The previous owner advertised it as faulty but since it was under warranty i decided to buy it.

Long story short,in June when i rang toshiba to get it fixed,i found out the previous owner had already sent it back to them once to get it fixed.I sent it to the uk toshiba company to get it fixed.3-4 weeks later i got it back and they replaced the motherboard and graphic card.

Now a week ago,the pc is over heating and is giving problems yet again.If i say am browsing the web the temp of my pc is between 50-60c,however if say i play a game,the temp fluctuates between 80-110c.When it becomes this hot the pc just shuts down.

I rang the uk toshiba group and they said that they couldnt do anything because the warranty is out.I argued that because i was without the pc for a month or 2 when i sent it back to them and the other time it was sent back to them ,that in fact i didnt use 12 months warranty.I also argued that the pc was problem prone and that i have already sent it back to them twice.They said they cant do anything for me but the USA toshiba group might be able to sort it out.I then rang the USA toshiba group and told them the same story.They said they would fix it for me if i lived in the USA,however i know that will never happen.I told them that like why would the uk support fix my pc yet now they wont.

Long story short both the USA and UK toshiba support wont help me and i was wondering do i have any comeback or what is the next route to take..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

You would normally take a case in the Small Claims Court against the retailer in a case like this. However, this is unfortunately not possible in your case since:
    1) you are not the original purchaser of the laptop
    2) the place it was originally purchased in, the US, is outside of the jurisdiction of the Small Claims Court here so they couldn't take a case anyway

Also, since you knowingly bought the laptop as faulty, you have no comeback with the seller on adverts.

Best bet is to write a registered letter to Toshiba, stating all the problems you've experienced and outlining your disappointment etc. etc. and see does this get you anywhere. But failing this, you don't really have any other options. It's one of the risks buying stuff in from abroad, and even moreso for buying second half stuff from abroad - a lot harder to chase stuff down if it goes wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Kensington wrote: »
    You would normally take a case in the Small Claims Court against the retailer in a case like this. However, this is unfortunately not possible in your case since:
    1) you are not the original purchaser of the laptop
    2) the place it was originally purchased in, the US, is outside of the jurisdiction of the Small Claims Court here so they couldn't take a case anyway

Also, since you knowingly bought the laptop as faulty, you have no comeback with the seller on adverts.

Best bet is to write a registered letter to Toshiba, stating all the problems you've experienced and outlining your disappointment etc. etc. and see does this get you anywhere. But failing this, you don't really have any other options. It's one of the risks buying stuff in from abroad, and even moreso for buying second half stuff from abroad - a lot harder to chase stuff down if it goes wrong!

Yea however,i bought it when it had warranty,and i bought it with the intention of sending it back for repair which i did do.Secondly ownership is now in my name.

Im also not seeking a refund from the previous owner as he had marked it as faulty and said it was within warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

alot of the time, they will put a warranty on the part that was replaced in the machine. sometimes 2-6 months. did they say anything like this to you?

They said there was a 90 day warranty after it was fixed

Is there any other route to take.the thing was never fixed properly to say it has had problems 3 times

• Advertisement

There must be another person who has had a similar situation to my own.

Where do i post a letter to anyway.

Advertisement