Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

power shower pump which one

• 22-01-2010 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

hi all
    im getting an ensuite built next week
    shower tray will be 12 x9
    bathroom place is offering
    either
    1.5 bar pump in hotpress

or

shower unit 1500 kw built in pump to go in to shower cubicle

which is better????

shower unit has a button to turn pump off (for when you are soaping etc)
    this woll not run down hot water as fast i assume

any suggestions
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

What make is the shower unit? It sounds like the shower with the quite button called newteam. They are both good options. Personally I like the pump because you can buy a nice shower valve. But really it all depends on your budget.

In a 1200x900 shower tray a white box might look like a sore thumb where as a nice shower valve will look lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭stedeb

hi joey
    i think its bristan
    getting it as part of the ensuite
    noted the taps and riser looks better but this will be constant flow for the shower

the latter the unit on the wall yes could be an eye sore but has the pros of turn pump off for few mins while you lather

getting 12x9 as the 8oox8oo is v tight

what you think about the unit as there will be room in the shower for it

which is easier to fix if they break??

thanks

stedeb wrote: »
    hi joey
    i think its bristan
    getting it as part of the ensuite
    noted the taps and riser looks better but this will be constant flow for the shower

the latter the unit on the wall yes could be an eye sore but has the pros of turn pump off for few mins while you lather

getting 12x9 as the 8oox8oo is v tight

what you think about the unit as there will be room in the shower for it

which is easier to fix if they break??

thanks

Honestly if I was selling to you I would let you make the final decision. But the way i see it is the lather reason is not good. Imperial leather and the likes lathers in a few seconds.

The shower with the pump is good but when the shower goes which it will you will most likely replace the whole unit as bristan is a uk company and most likely replace the whole lot.

The seperate pump option. This allows you buy a lovely shower valve. Theremostatic and chrome. A bar valve looks quite nice for this. The advantage to this is if the pump goes you prob will manage to replace it yourself. As the pump is in the hot press it does not disturb the shower valve on the wall.

The seperate pump and shower valve will be the dearer option....

thanks joey
    yeah the seperate will look better
    i suppose im spending on the ensuite so i may as well have it looking classy

thanks
    stedeb

thanks joey

thanks
    stedeb

Exactly....

If you need a cheap shower valve and are in dublin meath pm me. The bristan range is quite expensive. I always suggest you buy an exposed shower valve. The reason being one of 3 things

1. Its a lot of bling

2. The other half thinks it looks better. Really she does.

3. If you get a problem with the shower valve and you cannot get spare parts. You wont have a major overhaul.

ps: Always keep some spare tiles for later work aroung a shower valve..

• Advertisement

thanks joey
    i have crystal tiles in coolmine doing the job everything included in the price
    im sure they will leave a few tiles in case

thanks joey
    i have crystal tiles in coolmine doing the job everything included in the price
    im sure they will leave a few tiles in case

I know the company well. Ask them to leave tiles. They will take away full boxes and throw out the scrap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

i personaly would go for a 3 bar pump rather than a 1.5bar it may be more expensive now but you will regret going for a 1.5 one .
    if you do go for a 3 bar one make sure the shower valve you get is suitable to take the pressure .i would go for a trevie or a grohe type both very good but grohe more expensive.

sullzz wrote: »
    i personaly would go for a 3 bar pump rather than a 1.5bar it may be more expensive now but you will regret going for a 1.5 one .
    if you do go for a 3 bar one make sure the shower valve you get is suitable to take the pressure .i would go for a trevie or a grohe type both very good but grohe more expensive.

I am guessing the op has a standard size cylinder in his house. What your suggesting is to put a truck engine in a car with a gas tank the size of a mini. Yes it will have more power yes it will go faster but that standard size cylinder will empty so quick it will annoy the sh1t out of the op for spending all that money.

Its not just that easy. With a 3 bar pump comes a new cylider. new plumbing and new cost.The smallest cylinder I would put in a house with a 3 bar pump is a 42" or 48" thats a hell of a lot bigger than a standard.

1.5 bar will open nearly every valve on the market.( I know one it wont) Their is a major problem with Irish physcie when it comes to bathrooms. More power is not what we should be aiming for its standardisation and easy of maintenance. Unless of course your the type that changes your bathroom when you change your toilet roll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

thanks joey
    i dont see the problem in spending the extra few quid to do a good job and fit a 3bar pump as the op said in the above quote he is spending money on it . if he only fits a 1.5 bar pump he will regret it.
    and your right joey he will need a 4ft cylinder but wouldnt cost an arm and a leg .
    im a plumber by trade and i made the mistake of fitting a 1.5bar pump in my own house and ended up changing it for a 3bar one.

• Advertisement

sullzz wrote: »
    i dont see the problem in spending the extra few quid to do a good job and fit a 3bar pump as the op said in the above quote he is spending money on it . if he only fits a 1.5 bar pump he will regret it.
    and your right joey he will need a 4ft cylinder but wouldnt cost an arm and a leg .
    im a plumber by trade and i made the mistake of fitting a 1.5bar pump in my own house and ended up changing it for a 3bar one.

i agree but your a plumber. Why dont you give the op the costings and let him make the decision. I reckon

3 Bar Pump 600+
    42x18 ind ins cylinder 300+
    Fittings etc immersion 100
    Labour 600

Where as a 1.5 bar pump on the current system

Pump 300
    Labour 150

Massive difference I reckon. Bear in mind you did your own plumbing and prob claimed the vat back. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Can see it now.

Wifey picks lovely rainforest shower head size of a dustbin lid, coupled with the 3 bar pump and we have a 30 second spectacular if short showering experience!:D

Seriously those things should be illegal unless you have grey water recycling!!

Hope the bathroom turns out nice op.

thanks guys
    1.5 bar is included in price
    house is 30 odd years old so tank is possibly standard

noted 3 bar will be better but will run out fast
    so 1.5 will be sufficient with fancy taps and riser rail

job starting tomorrow and should be 3 weeks approx (getting other bits done floors doors attic stairs plastering insulating )

ill try to take before and afters if i get a chance and post up when complete

thanks for your input guys

Advertisement