Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orienteering in Sligo

Options
  • 22-01-2010 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

If anyone here is interested in Orienteering, Sligo Orienteering Club have an open day on Sunday 7th of February in Union Wood(Poster Attached). There will be experienced orienteers there to assist beginners round the course. New members are strongly encouraged so if anyone wants to get into orienteering come along. There is also 100euros in prizes so for anyone who has done it before, might be a chance to win some money;)

So what is Orienteering most people will prob be wondering, its a competitive international sport that combines running with navigation.
    Basically your given a map and have to reach certain points in the quickest time possible. Great way to keep fit and learn map reading skills. More info on www.orienteering.ie and the club should have a website up before the end of the month. Any questions just ask:)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

So, I haven't done this since I was a kid and I'm horribly unfit. How fit do I need to be to not be abandoned in the wilds?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

fozzle wrote: »
    So, I haven't done this since I was a kid and I'm horribly unfit. How fit do I need to be to not be abandoned in the wilds?

Ya dont have to be that fit really, short courses are usually round 3k, ya can walk most of it if ya want, just start running when ya come across someone else on the course:D Union Wood isnt that big so worst case scenario ya get lost and end up on the dual carraigeway:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Splendid thanks. Now I just need to find Union Wood and figure out if I'm off that day. *wanders off to find combats and compass*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

I think I need to do this as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I did the 10k run in the Forest Park on Holloween night.

It was fun, this could be pretty good.

• Advertisement

Slidey wrote: »
    I did the 10k run in the Forest Park on Holloween night.

It was fun, this could be pretty good.

Ya you should definetly come to this event. I heard about that 10k in Lough Key, looked pretty good. Lough Key is probaly one of the best places we have for Orienteering, loads of tracks and features, we usually have an event there at least once a year.
    If you like running ya will definetly like Orienteering, I nearly prefer it more as every course is different and the fitest person does not always win also before an event you dont know how ya will do, whereas in running ya can nearly predict your time to within a few seconds.
    It can however get very frustrating when ya get hopelessly lost which has happened to me on one or two rare occasions:D
    Anyways hope to see ya there on the 7th

Dont forget about this tommorrow:D:D:D:D

Great way to spend a Sunday morning

Hey Everyone,

Orienteering this Sunday in Annaghmore estate located off the N17. New map so should be interesting. Poster attached.

Check out or blog at

http://sligoorienteeringclub.blogspot.com/

Thanks

Hey everyone,

Orienteering in Forest Park Boyle this Sunday

Beginers welcome

Advertisement