Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fame: The Musical

Options
  • 22-01-2010 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

From the people that brought you Popstars, You're A Star and The Apprentice comes Fame: The Musical!

The Final (Multi-choice) 20 votes

Sarah
    0% 0 votes
    Jessica
    15% 3 votes
    Ben
    45% 9 votes
    Séan
    40% 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,256 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

What channel got it? RTE or TV3?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

RTÉ. The Judges are: -

stage producer Robert C Kelly,
    actor and director Simon Delaney and
    actress and singer Erica Gimpel, who starred as "Coco Hernandez" in the original "Fame" TV series. (She was also in Profiler and ER).

http://www.rte.ie/tv/fame/

Erica Gimpel is interviewed on the Late Late (34mins in) http://www.rte.ie/tv/latelate/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Pubgirl

Anyone through to "Fame School" round???

Search Begins For 'Fame' Stars
    In a first for Irish television, RTÉ’s ‘Fame The Musical’ starts on Sunday, April 11th and sees the country’s young hopefuls put their acting, singing and dancing talents to the test in the hope of clinching a lead role in the nationwide tour of David de Silva’s ‘Fame the Musical’.

Presented by Derek Mooney, the show chronicles the search for the male and female lead of Fame the Musical. The competition was launched in January, thousands of applications were received and hundreds of performers were auditioned at locations in Dublin and Cork, and in London's West End.

In the first episode viewers will see the hopefuls being put through their paces at the auditions by actor and director Simon Delaney (Zonad); stage producer Robert C Kelly (Menopause the Musical); and West End star Jacinta Whyte (Blood Brothers). Those who impress the judges will be seen going through Fame School in episode two, an intense workshop phase. Joining the panel for the live shows will be Erica Gimpel, who starred as "Coco Hernandez" in the original "Fame" TV series.

It's here where the judges, with the help of acting coach Gene Rooney and choreographer Daryn Crosbie (Saturday Night Fever), will decide who will go through to the live TV shows and battle it out over eight weeks, on the Helix stage, live in front of the nation. The finalists will sing for the public vote to help them secure their place in the final and, in the end, two performers will be crowned the winners.

Speaking to IFTN after the announcements of the successful Fame School attendees Simon Delaney commented: “It was such a roller coaster, there were tears when you told people “yes” and when you told people “no”. I have never had a day like it. We were there until 10:00pm and it was great but it was so heavy. There are some unbelievable talents.”

Simon described the show as a way to promote a wealth of untapped Irish performing talent: “You see there is no professional music training here so [Irish artists] are going to get on a boat or a plane elsewhere. So maybe this process will make people look at that because it is a shame that they are having to get their parents to fork out fortunes to get them over to London and New York because the talent is there. These kids are eighteen and nineteen and they are coming out and delivering performances that would stop the room.”

‘Fame the Musical’ will air for 10 weeks on RTÉ One at 6.30pm on Sunday nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Closed ac

Hopefully this will be decent enough to fill the void in Reality TV at the moment. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Dilynnio

So far so good!

I am feeling optimistic about this! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭punkindrublic

It's not..awful but that one gimp is trying too hard to be mean. I'm actually surprised how good some of the acts are. I really felt sorry for the one girl who's nerves got to her!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it was all going well until i saw derek mooney, he should stick to sleeping with the fish :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

That Robert C Kelly guy is an utter knob. Why do so many judges on these shows try to be Simon Cowell. He's just coming across as trying too hard to be the "mean judge" but he's just showing himself as a complete tosser :rolleyes:

Otherwise, some good talent out there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

it was all going well until i saw derek mooney, he should stick to sleeping with the fish :pac:
    When the tagline started "From the people that brought you Popstars and You're A Star..." that put me off. Then the fact that Derek Mooney is on it is the main cringe factor for me. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Closed ac

Anyone watching it tonight?

I don't think I've ever cringed as much in my life when yer man said "Mortified.com" to the judges.. :pac:

Posy wrote: »
    When the tagline started "From the people that brought you Popstars and You're A Star..." that put me off. Then the fact that Derek Mooney is on it is the main cringe factor for me. :o

Yeah they should have gone with "From the people that brought you The Appertice and Dragon's Den" .... well perhaps not.

As D. Mooney he is a fool on the radio, he did a good job on these pre-recorded shows but the live shows are another thing.

Musicals are pretty **** aren't they.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Alex.C

wow! that last girl, Hollie from Limerick is unbelievable... such an emotional performance, if she doesn't win there's no justice! Fast becoming an enjoyable show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭MelanieC

DKZ wrote: »
    Anyone watching it tonight?

I don't think I've ever cringed as much in my life when yer man said "Mortified.com" to the judges.. :pac:

Me too!!! Pretentious idiot.com more like. :rolleyes:

This is watchable enough but nowhere near as slick as the British ones. I much prefer Over The Rainbow - I know I shouldn't buy into all the glitz and melodrama but I just do! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

I was expecting this to be totally cringey and awful, but I just caught a repeat and was pleasantly surprised with how talented some of the contestants were. Looking forward to the rest of this now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Michael B

beanyb wrote: »
    I was expecting this to be totally cringey and awful, but I just caught a repeat and was pleasantly surprised with how talented some of the contestants were. Looking forward to the rest of this now!

I think shows like this would tend to have more talented people going for it than the likes of X Factor.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

Ok the first six are on tonight. However its mixed girls and guys. What happens if all the guys are voted in the bottom each week? Aren't they after a leading male and female?

Ok the first six are on tonight. However its mixed girls and guys. What happens if all the guys are voted in the bottom each week? Aren't they after a leading male and female?

I assume that it will be the last Girl V the last Boy.

Anyone else hearing a warbelly noise with the music?

I still maintain that Musicals are fairly Sh1t, but so far all of them are very talent.

But there's a sing off between the last guy and last girl each week. It doesn't add up to me yet but it might make sense as it goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

But there's a sing off between the last guy and last girl each week. It doesn't add up to me yet but it might make sense as it goes on.

I too am a bit perplexed by this.

One other observation: During the quick review at the end two of the acts were shown getting smiles or nods of approval from a judge.
    This might give some viewers the impression that these are the judges' favoured acts.

• Advertisement

baalthor wrote: »
    I too am a bit perplexed by this.

One other observation: During the quick review at the end two of the acts were shown getting smiles or nods of approval from a judge.
    This might give some viewers the impression that these are the judges' favoured acts.

True. I think they really want the scottish lad as their leading man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Watched this for the first time this evening.. Same stupid voting system as the All Ireland Talent Show, same stupid result.... the talent DOESNT win.

And how does it make sense for the potential male lead to face off against the potential female lead ????? Why didnt they have the guys on one week and the girls on the next week. ?

Well, you saved me a lot of typing there Jonathan ...

And how does it make sense for the potential male lead to face off against the potential female lead ????? Why didnt they have the guys on one week and the girls on the next week. ?

My point exactly.

Why did the judges (esp Robert) agree to this judging system?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

baalthor wrote: »
    Why did the judges (esp Robert) agree to this judging system?

€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€

I assume that the voting changes in ep 5 as only half the finalist were on stage tonight, but yeah it is a bit perplexing alright.
    the talent DOESNT win.

Been the case with all these shows.

I would have choose the Roisin based on the sing-off, but Drew shouldn't have been in the sing-off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

kippy wrote: »
    €€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€
    Well I would guess he is rethinking it now, as he watches his leading man walk out of the show.. That last song was great until all of the other contestants, who are still left in the competition, joined in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

sound was truly desperate on this show.

• Advertisement

racso1975 wrote: »
    sound was truly desperate on this show.

I thought the sound was fine bar the Warbell at the beginning of each song. Much better than most Shinawhil productions.

Advertisement