Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fame: The Musical

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Ammonite

I saw some of this show and have to say that there is some good talent on it, particularly among the girls. The standard is way higher than the All Ireland Talent Show.

I thought the production however was poor. There were sound issues which can be forgiven (for now), but the voting system makes no sense as others have mentioned.

Would have agreed with sending Drew home based on him and Sarah being in the sing off. But thought the lead judge's reason that he gave was bizarre. He was basically saying because he didn't have the regional support because he was Scottish, he didn't want Drew staying potentially at the expense of other good contestants. Him being Scottish may have cost him the parochial vote, but why put him through in the first place if they felt his homeplace was going to disadvantage him. Made a mockery of things IMO.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

Ammonite wrote: »
    but why put him through in the first place if they felt his homeplace was going to disadvantage him. Made a mockery of things IMO.

Excellent point...

Unless the Judge has plans for Drew and wanted to see how a bit of exposure over here would go down while knowing he'd never have a prayer up against Irish contestants in a public voting system...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭MelanieC

I love shows like this but this one was just awful last week. In fairness the contestants are talented but the sound was terrible, the judges comments were boring, the reason yer man gave for not putting that Scottish guy through was discrimanatory and downright insulting ( Is he really allowed do that? I think you're the better one but I'm not putting you through coz you're not Irish so won't get any votes. ?????? It's actually insulting to the Irish public as well as to that poor guy. :mad:) and the whole thing in general was just so underwhelming. When you compare it to the glitz and polishedness of the British ones (esp Britains Got Talent and Over The Rainbow the previous night) it's just laughable. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

MelanieC wrote: »
    I love shows like this but this one was just awful last week. In fairness the contestants are talented but the sound was terrible, the judges comments were boring, the reason yer man gave for not putting that Scottish guy through was discrimanatory and downright insulting ( Is he really allowed do that? I think you're the better one but I'm not putting you through coz you're not Irish so won't get any votes. ?????? It's actually insulting to the Irish public as well as to that poor guy. :mad:) and the whole thing in general was just so underwhelming. When you compare it to the glitz and polishedness of the British ones (esp Britains Got Talent and Over The Rainbow the previous night) it's just laughable. :eek:

Well hopeful now that we know that the producers read this thread they might think of doing something about it.

Overall I found the show ran smoothly and I would disagree with your comments on the judges, I thought Erica was lovely and very positive and that they did pick the right person to go, the audience however did not. However the Scottish Judge's remarks were incorrect to say the least.

A spot light is need and do something with the sound.

I think the set is actually well laid out, I don't think they should use the Helix for TV events but it seemed to fit well for this show.

But I have said this about The Apprentice before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Gibson101

I have to say, I really loved this show. I thought the production value was very good and ten times better then what's being shown on Irish TV lately.

Long may it continue.

• Advertisement

Good concept and production but having a gilr and a guy in the sing off just doesn't make any sense...:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

MelanieC wrote: »
    This is watchable enough but nowhere near as slick as the British ones. I much prefer Over The Rainbow - I know I shouldn't buy into all the glitz and melodrama but I just do! :o

Very true indeed, Over the Rainbow it is not, but then again, it never could compete with such a massive BBC production (and their great sound stage), talking of which . . . . Maybe RTE could at least improve the sound quality on 'Fame the Musical', in the coming weeks?

Camelot wrote: »
    Very true indeed, Over the Rainbow it is not, but then again, it never could compete with such a massive BBC production (and their great sound stage), talking of which . . . .

Maybe RTE could at least improve the sound quality on Fame, just a little?

Yes ShinaWhil productions could improve the sound quality across all productions.

I don't think money has anything to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

God I feel sorry for that girl Caoimhe.. she really didnt do herself justice.. Dont think she's used to singing and dancing. Really pitchy.

Caoimhe's in way out of her depth. Michael was the strongest performer tonight though he's not a natural leading man.

• Advertisement

Do they have a spotlight, why is everyone in the shadows?

The preformers are excellent pity about the amture production team. Sound however improved, no warbelling noice. Echo of the Helix comes across but at least you can hear Derek Mooney over the audience unlike on Over the Rainbow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Caoimhe's in way out of her depth. Michael was the strongest performer tonight though he's not a natural leading man.

My god, Caoimhe got through.. This show is ridiculous... ALL of the best acts are being voted out.!!

My god, Caoimhe got through.. This show is ridiculous... ALL of the best acts are being voted out.!!

The reason for this is because all of the acts have campaigns running, part of the rules should be that you may not campaign for votes.

Sound was dreadful during Fame, all of the mics seemed to be turned off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Clare Bear wrote: »
    That Robert C Kelly guy is an utter knob. Why do so many judges on these shows try to be Simon Cowell. He's just coming across as trying too hard to be the "mean judge" but he's just showing himself as a complete tosser :rolleyes:

Otherwise, some good talent out there.

yeah , the dour scott thing gets boring after about ten seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Elmo wrote: »
    The reason for this is because all of the acts have campaigns running, part of the rules should be that you may not campaign for votes.

Sound was dreadful during Fame, all of the mics seemed to be turned off.

Agreed on the campaigns. I don't even watch this show and received unsoliceted text message from local business asking me to vote for hollie.

she can bugger off now. I might have taken an interest were she to get through to say , the final three, but she can screw her self now.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,511 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

.... she can screw her self now.

I have an idea for a new reality TV show.

No wait, hear me out....

Mr E wrote: »
    I have an idea for a new reality TV show.

No wait, hear me out....

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Oh god.. Caoimhe was horrific - she hasn't a note in her head. I cringed watching that - it was so flat and she ket losing her breath. Hollie (aka Aoiffffe frm Apprentice) quivers her voice too much. Yer wan from Ballybrack with the red hair is something special. Very very good voice and full of life. The judges are gunning for her though (prob cos she's a townie) - calling her "pitchy" (!?) and criticising her dress. Pricks. :rolleyes: I voted for her anyways but I missed the results - did she stay in?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Yer wan from Ballybrack with the red hair is something special. Very very good voice and full of life. The judges are gunning for her though (prob cos she's a townie) - calling her "pitchy" (!?) and criticising her dress. Pricks. :rolleyes: I voted for her anyways but I missed the results - did she stay in?!

Nope. Philomena got voted out. I had hopes for this show after seeing the talent in the auditions... but clearly parochial Ireland is back in force in the public vote.

Caoimhe was awful. It was properly painful to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

beanyb wrote: »
    Nope. Philomena got voted out. I had hopes for this show after seeing the talent in the auditions... but clearly parochial Ireland is back in force in the public vote.

Caoimhe was awful. It was properly painful to listen to.

Ah ****! Poor girl. She was too good for RTE anyways. Maybe she should try out for the Over the Rainbow show in the UK next year... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Yellow Reg

Agreed on the campaigns. I don't even watch this show and received unsoliceted text message from local business asking me to vote for hollie.

she can bugger off now. I might have taken an interest were she to get through to say , the final three, but she can screw her self now.

there is absolutely no need for obscenities like that!!! Firstly, that girl is simply trying to achieve her dream and make a career out of this opportunity! Secondly, she is in Dublin, breaking her heart in rehearsals and therefore could not have possibly set up those "unsolicited" text messages! Maybe you could use your time to help someone, rather than try to hurt a girl who is trying her level best to make a dream come true!!! Get over yourself! You don't even watch the show, so please don't comment on something you know nothing about!

Yellow Reg wrote: »
    there is absolutely no need for obscenities like that!!! Firstly, that girl is simply trying to achieve her dream and make a career out of this opportunity! Secondly, she is in Dublin, breaking her heart in rehearsals and therefore could not have possibly set up those "unsolicited" text messages! Maybe you could use your time to help someone, rather than try to hurt a girl who is trying her level best to make a dream come true!!! Get over yourself! You don't even watch the show, so please don't comment on something you know nothing about!

His point was not to hurt the contestant rather to point out that these campaigns don't help with the best talent getting through. Unfortunately Hollie may end up out of the competition because a less talented competitor had a better campaign going and that isn't fair on the other better contestants. Campaigning should not be allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Alex.C

I have to agree with Yellow Reg, in that that post did sound offensively aimed at the girl, and she does not deserve to be blamed for something she probably had nothing to do with. (not that there's anything even wrong with local businesses supporting such a talented girl! I mean how would you expect her to reach this "interesting top 3" without support?)

Besides that, it is impossible to disallow campaigning from these competitions, although talent should of course win out. They may not let the contestants campaign but it would be simply impossible to stop anybody else campaigning for them, and how would you let people know that these talented performers were in the show without the campaigning... It's a tricky situation.

Sidenote, dying for Hollie and Conleth to win! They're fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Yellow Reg

Elmo wrote: »
    His point was not to hurt the contestant rather to point out that these campaigns don't help with the best talent getting through. Unfortunately Hollie may end up out of the competition because a less talented competitor had a better campaign going and that isn't fair on the other better contestants. Campaigning should not be allowed.

I agree with you completely on that one, but where in his "she can screw herself now" was that implied?!? all i am saying is that she, and the other contestants, are under enough strain as it is learning songs and dances and appearing on live tv, without someone ripping them down on chat sites like this! I appreciate that everyone is entitled to their opinion, however, i felt his comment was rude and overly harsh!!!

on the campaigning note, i agree. Drew and Conleth are possibly the two best in the competition, but Drew is gone and Conleth is struggling all because of their locality.....it should be decided by the judges, but RTE are too busy making money from these texts to care.....

Yellow Reg wrote: »
    I agree with you completely on that one, but where in his "she can screw herself now" was that implied?!? .

Yes I agree that the reply was rude and crude. She shouldn't take the reply overly seriously. However the poster was annoyed at the campaign that she has launched and I would agree with that. Perhaps the poster could have said "I won't be voting for Hollie after the number of texts that I got from a local business, this campaigning ruins this type of show".
    Sidenote, dying for Hollie and Conleth to win! They're fantastic

Hollie better get her campaigning right other wise should could loose and Conleth needs to drum up support in his home town in NI. But if talent is to win this competition it should be based on what the audience think not a good campaign from a local.
    RTE are too busy making money from these texts to care.....

RTÉ and Shinawhil don't need the campaigning they would still get the same amount of votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭MelanieC

I think the judges going on all the time about parochial voting is only perpetuating it to be honest. Especially that pompous Robert guy, him ordering the viewers every five minutes not to just vote for whoever's from your locality makes me want to do just that when it never would've crossed my mind otherwise. If they want people to stop doing it then shut the hell up about it for two minutes and talk about the talent instead. Also, him booting your man Drew out last week essentially for parochial reasons even though he admitted he was the better singer makes him a complete hypocrite. People are bound to feel "well,why the hell should I vote on talent alone when he just admitted he hasn't?". :eek: Ridiculous.
    And the sound was diabolical again. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Ammonite

Ok I've gathered a few of my thoughts together on the show after this week.

Starting with the positives...
    Mostly, I think the talent is very good. Particularly Sarah, Hollie, Conleth and Michael. Drew was great as well. Some of the contestants would not look amiss in one of the BBC Andrew Lloyd Webber shows IMO.

I like the fact that unlike the BBC equivalent, the contestants on FTM are actually singing songs from musicals. It makes a refreshing change from pop standards and there's more chances to incorporate stagecraft into the performances.

I think Erica seems lovely. Although I think the show has hyped up her achievements a bit, she's not that well known really.

The negatives: That Robert C Kelly judge is just a total pain. He's not even an "entertaining" nasty judge, he's just dour and unpleasant and downright insulting, particularly in his comments to Drew the other week. And I think he's mentioning parochialism a bit too much.

I think I would take a bit more interest in this show if it was a musical other than Fame. I saw a school production once and thought the songs and plot were quite boring so it didn't make any impression on me, and I don't know the characters of Nick and Serena so it's harder to get interested in the RTE show (unlike Over The Rainbow for example).

Another thing - from looking at Wiki, the song Starmaker, isn't even in the musical version so seems a bit daft to keep doing it at the end. "Nick" appears to have a minor-ish role and not that much to sing.

The voting system is silly as well. Someone could be in the bottom two but still have come 3rd overall in the public vote, ridiculous.

So yeah, some great talent but poor production I think although in fairness it can be hard to do a show like this properly. Look at the disaster that was ITV's attempt to find stars for Grease.

Ammonite wrote: »
    I think Erica seems lovely. Although I think the show has hyped up her achievements a bit, she's not that well known really.

In fairness to Erica's achievements she had a major part in 3 prime time TV serials during the 1980s and 1990s (Fame, ER and Profiler), yet Larry Hagman is probably better known than her, with only one series to his name (damn he had Genie in the Bottle as well :( ) ruin my argument why Larry Hagman why didn't I go with Linda Grey or one of the other cast member of Dallas, why Dallas???
    poor production I think although in fairness it can be hard to do a show like this properly

Not an excuse when you think that ShinaWhil are one of Ireland's best known independent production companies who have produced Popstars, 10 series of You're a Star and The Apprentice. They should have it down to a tee at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,256 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Oh god someone is butchering Snow Patrol's Chasing Cars now way worse than Leona Lewis did :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Oh god someone is butchering Snow Patrol's Chasing Cars now way worse than Leona Lewis did :(

Some lad was doing a version of Cheryl Cole's song - I only flicked over for a min or two, didn't like it at all!!

Advertisement