Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indian rip off

• 22-01-2010 11:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

I recently decided to give Kashmir tandoori Indian restaurant a try as my regular (Cafe Goa) is closed for a few weeks. So I looked it up online and saw they did a “early bird” for €12pp http://www.kashmirtandooriwaterford.com/earlybird.htm which sounded ok. So when we arrived in for out 6pm reservation we see outside that the early bird is now €14pp so were down €4 each before we order. So we order our food and I choose a nan bread instead of rice and ask can it be a garlic nan... yes for an extra €3.50 for a rub of garlic, so I politely tell him I won’t be paying that. We also order a bottle of wine for €18.95. After 5minutes the waiter returns to tell us that the wine we ordered was out of stock but offered us another instead so we accepted.. anyway the poppadums arrived and were lets just say “not fresh” and the dips not much better. My starter was ok and the main the “Tandoori sizzler” was 3 small pieces of chicken served on raw onion. It also came with a sauce on the side and it tasted like chicken gravy. The food overall really was not even average but poor. The bill arrives and were charged the €4 extra for early bird menu/ 22.95 for wine so an extra €4 for that. So... bad food, bad service and overcharged we leave once again asking each other how are these places still open.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,683 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It does say 'new early bird menu price €12' on the website. It also shows pictures of food which are so feeble - the chicken is exactly three small pieces with a tiny bit of some sort of salad - that I wouldn't bother going at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Superfurry

Fecking cowboys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Get some Curry village Delivery. Brilliant food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

pic-chick-tikka.jpg

Wow!

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

If you are not happy, why pay full whack.

In america, I was at a joint in Florida, the policy was 100% satisfaction or the meal was on the house. Food was spot on !

I don't get how people pay top buck here for crap service, crap food and crap prices ! Then again we're Irish, we wouldn't want to put someone out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

That resto is average at best. There's another one close by with great food and service.

Interior a bit strange but the grub is excellent.

I was told by an Indian waiter in another - non-indian- restaurant that this one was the best for food.

A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

alinton wrote: »
    That resto is average at best. There's another one close by with great food and service.

Interior a bit strange but the grub is excellent.

I was told by an Indian waiter in another - non-indian- restaurant that this one was the best for food.

A.

Do you know the name of it A? We were going to get a takeaway from Kashmir (for the first time) tonight, but think we'll pass now after the previous comments :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

prob cafe goa,tis closed til first week of feb though,think its the 3rd its open again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

Gotta say, for my money Kashmir is good, especially for the price. Been going there for years.

Their Jalfrezi is very consistent, and just the way I like it, whether takeaway or sitting down in there.

Their website is out of date, and that is a problem, but they have never charged me extra for a garlic naan when eating from the early bird menu. Maybe because I am a regular I suppose. I normally bring my own wine too.

Caught them on a bad night maybe ?

Now that I think of it there is one new member of staff there that my brother was complaining about recently, said he tried to charge him a corkage fee until he said he was having none of it. Maybe this is guy you met.

Anyway, just a different viewpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

RubyK wrote: »
    Do you know the name of it A? We were going to get a takeaway from Kashmir (for the first time) tonight, but think we'll pass now after the previous comments :eek:

Not Goa, Eastenders.

Andy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Gotta say, for my money Kashmir is good, especially for the price. Been going there for years.

Their Jalfrezi is very consistent, and just the way I like it, whether takeaway or sitting down in there.

Their website is out of date, and that is a problem, but they have never charged me extra for a garlic naan when eating from the early bird menu. Maybe because I am a regular I suppose. I normally bring my own wine too.

Caught them on a bad night maybe ?

Now that I think of it there is one new member of staff there that my brother was complaining about recently, said he tried to charge him a corkage fee until he said he was having none of it. Maybe this is guy you met.

Anyway, just a different viewpoint.

I have to agree about this place for price. Went there on New Years Eve and had popadoms, two starters, two mains, 2 large bottles of water and a bottle of wine for 62 euro

Portions were great as well as service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭J-Fit

I must say, I'm very surprised to hear all of this. I'm obsessed with Indian food and I've tried a lot of restaurants and Kashmir rates as good as any that I've ever eaten. The starters are a little hit and miss but the mains are top class and in my opinion it's better than Eastenders and Cafe Goa (which was the epitomy of averageness). As for the OP who was "€4 down" before you ate? I can't believe I just read that on-screen. Honestly, does a meal being €4 extra really bother you? If so, maybe you shouldn't eat out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

J-Fit wrote: »
    I must say, I'm very surprised to hear all of this. I'm obsessed with Indian food and I've tried a lot of restaurants and Kashmir rates as good as any that I've ever eaten. The starters are a little hit and miss but the mains are top class and in my opinion it's better than Eastenders and Cafe Goa (which was the epitomy of averageness). As for the OP who was "€4 down" before you ate? I can't believe I just read that on-screen. Honestly, does a meal being €4 extra really bother you? If so, maybe you shouldn't eat out.

No the €4 does not bother me....but someone ripping me off does.
    I live in asia part time so I would know a little about asian and Indian food and I eat out 2-3nights a week. I also had my own restaurant so I think I can comment about food and service. Cafe Goa is 300% better as you can taste each ingredient in each dish where in Kashmir its just one flavour.....and if you think the pictures of these dishes on there site would even class as good your mad. If your into Indian food then your missing out big time eating this rubbish, and I'd give Goa another go. serving 3 pieces of chicken on RAW onion is not on and you would get better on a street stall in mumbai for 20cent.

Every time you go out J-fit your happy to be overcharged? If it was €1 I'd feel the same and I would never try and rip off a customer in any business so why should they?

Advertisement