Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating System

Options
  • 23-01-2010 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Could anyone tell me if I spent the extra money I was thinking of spending on Geothermal on insulation and airtightness would this be an equally good way of reducing my energy bills for the future? 3200 sq/ft 2 storey house south facing

Have been playing this one out in my mind and it surely makes more sence to just cut out the need for heat in the first place. Im not desperate to make my house passive either, I like my fires too much, but surely thats the way to go. Was thinking of good insulation everywhere, tape all openings and air tight membranes at least on roof if not all walls, then possibly heat recovery ventilation system. Prob putting a stove in if not two, so no open fires.

Would I achieve the same results with my money if all this was done properly and I had a condensing boiler for a quick blast of heat now and again! Solar for water.

Comments

Good insulation and airtightness backed up by a good heat recovery ventillation system is definitely the right apporach.

The less the loss the smaller the heating system needs to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭liamolaighin

Is a BER rep the best person to go to to devise a whole house plan so with respect to the above. My architeact seems very traditional from that point of view and isn't really advising anything except dry-lining the walls and rads everywhere with a condensor boiler. He's not adverse to anything, it's just the norm I think. I'm looking for whats best going forward not the norm, but at the same time I'm not eager a passive house or anything. Well insulated and easy to heat, and easy to keep warm I suppose.....the most cost-effective way!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Mazotasan

@ OP, Yep I agree. This is the process I am following too...insulation, air tightness, HRV, decent performing windows, sealed room stove and high efficient condensing boiler. Have listened to so much sales crap over the last year (before we started to build) I didn't know where to start. When you break it all down into simple logical arguments I think this is the best set up in terms of value for performance. If it was in our budget I would have went for a geothermal vertical ground collector ipo the oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭liamolaighin

Mazotasan wrote: »
    @ OP, Yep I agree. This is the process I am following too...insulation, air tightness, HRV, decent performing windows, sealed room stove and high efficient condensing boiler. Have listened to so much sales crap over the last year (before we started to build) I didn't know where to start. When you break it all down into simple logical arguments I think this is the best set up in terms of value for performance. If it was in our budget I would have went for a geothermal vertical ground collector ipo the oil.
    Can I ask if you are going to put in underfloor heating now. I was thinking it might be a good idea because at least you have the option to just add the heat pump and horizontal/vertical collector years down the line. If I go with rads now, underfloor would be a nightmare to put in down the line and I'd be stuck with rads forever. Maybe underfloor doownstairs and rads upstairs where not as much heat is required...

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭JuniorB

You can install a buffer store / thermal store /heatbank type setup to ensure Oil works more efficiently with Underfloor. Goggle 'buffer store underfloor' and you will see some good explainations.
    I've put the quotes I got for a similar system up on the prices/costs subsection. Ball Park 30k for underfloor downstairs, rads upstairs, HRV, solar and all plumbing installation. Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Spend the extra money on good design - not a heating system . The good design won't need servicing or eventual replacement . You should be thinking passiv house - this will become building regs MIN standard very shortly so don't build a soon to be obsolete house . Costs more up front but saves in long term .

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Mazotasan

No we are just sticking with the rads. Was thinking about putting in underfloor piping but put that extra money into windows in the end for better spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭moan 77

on the heat recovery side i understand you recover the heat from the hot rooms (bathroom, kitchen) but do you supply fresh air to these room as well. More to the point should you have extract and supply to all room to ensure of a fresh air supply all over:D:D

moan 77 wrote: »
    on the heat recovery side i understand you recover the heat from the hot rooms (bathroom, kitchen) but do you supply fresh air to these room as well. More to the point should you have extract and supply to all room to ensure of a fresh air supply all over:D:D

Most systems just extract from the "wet & smelly" rooms and feed air to the "habitated" areas, this can cause problems if you like all the doors shut.

Another problem I find is that the ventillation system can sometimes confuse the UFH thermostats, the recovered heated air can sometimes stop the heating from coming on in some rooms and you endup with a cold floor!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭moan 77

two and half teenagers in the house i hope the doors will shut, too much noise otherwise.

didnt see that one coming about the underfloor thermostats could be a problem alright. might have to put vent other side of room away from stats.

i did a bit of vent work before, positive and negative pressure were big things also having a balanced system was important, this is why i ask should you extract and supply to all rooms

• Advertisement

In an ideal world you would have extract and supply to all rooms, but it costs!

Advertisement