Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended Linux download?

Options
  • 23-01-2010 2:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi everyone, I hope this is the right place for this.

I'm looking to download Linux onto my iMac for college work, cos we use Fedora for C programming in college. I'm wary of all the different sites and versions though, so can anyone give me sound advice as to where to get a reliable and authentic version?
    Thanks
    God bless:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Personally I use Debian - http://www.debian.org
    It's one of the older distributions, it's the basis for several of the brighter, shinier ones like Ubuntu, but its release cycle is longer and I have always found it to be a more stable platform for working on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭swampgas

Piano man wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I hope this is the right place for this.

I'm looking to download Linux onto my iMac for college work, cos we use Fedora for C programming in college. [...]

You might consider setting up Linux in a VM or VMs - that way you can try out various Linux distros until you find one you like. Also, if your iMac is up to running two or more VMs at once you can play around with client-server/network stuff.

The ability with something like VMware Fusion to take snapshots might be handy if you are doing any serious dev work. [Full disclosure: I work for VMware.]

The major distros have their own websites - personally I use Ubuntu and Fedora. You can see reviews of the major players here:
    http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major

Don't be afraid to try a few different distros - that's half the fun ;-)

Advertisement