Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tiling and flooring in the one room

• 23-01-2010 2:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

hi all
    in a new apartment i have a large living room/kitchen area: ie they are not seperate rooms.
    I wish to tile the kitchen floor and lay timber flooring in the living room.

but need some advice:

1) which should be done first : the tiling or the floor boards? does it matter?
    2) how do i ensure the tiles are level with the flooring?
    3) any recommendations on a divider between the two?

Any replies greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

All depends on what floor you have down, if concrete then you could have both meet at same level, just have to select same / similar thickness tiles/flooring.

If your floor is sheeted (chipboard etc) then your going to have to put down some marine ply (3mm or 6mm from memory) before tiling, fixed every few inch (stops movement). Fixing marine ply adds a bit more to height so you'll have to add that height to flooring by doubling up underlay etc, this might throw off doors and other floors leading from living room, most work with the difference (flooring/tile).

You can buy all kinds of trim to cover the meet, you can even buy trims to make up for difference in height, what you mention above happens often so their is plenty of ways around by using special trim. It's just a few mm in difference, not noticed at all while traveling between the two.

Always do the messy / more difficult jobs first and the clean easy ones after, you can only know which is which, all depends on your job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

thanks for the reply items.

but i am gonna go for flooring in the whole room due to budget/ aesthetic reasons (mainly budget tbh)
    cheers....

ps anyone looking for blinds/ venetians in dublin/ leinster

go for clonsilla blinds

I do not work for them..no shares in them etc -just done a job for me, good work and value

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sarahflynn

Why not go for an end of sale deal on tiles just for infront of the kitchen work surfaces? Wooden flooring does not go hand in hand with water. You can border them with tiles and floor the rest, just do the tiles first as it easier to cut the flooring than the tiles. Extra underlay will bring up flooring height and self levelling compound will bring up tiling area. Just need to section it off first. In last rented house had both, tiles in kitchen and wooden florring in living room area, had a strip of brass coloured metal running between them, the stuff you usually use for carpets, worked a treat as is slightly flexible and sits flush over both floors and goes over any uneven spots too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

If it was me, i would be doing the timber first. It will have a bigger depth and is probably a bigger floor area.

It wont be a problem raising the kitchen floor area, just select the correct ply to match the timber finished floor level. Its also a smaller area im guessing, so will make it handier to just raise this portion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Davy wrote: »
    If it was me, i would be doing the timber first. It will have a bigger depth and is probably a bigger floor area.

It wont be a problem raising the kitchen floor area, just select the correct ply to match the timber finished floor level. Its also a smaller area im guessing, so will make it handier to just raise this portion.

i agree but the tiling will be very messy and ruin the timber. However nothing stopping the op laying the timber and then working out the tickness of tile allowing 5mm for adhesive and then you will have the thickness of the timer under the tile needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

ye i guess so. No room for much error tough

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

I would definitely do the tiling first. It is much easier, for me anyway, to work with timber than tiles. Get the tiles down first then work around them with the timber. Plenty of places selling tiles cheaply at the moment.:)

Advertisement