Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No point in cancelling the credit card?

Options
  • 23-01-2010 2:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭

Hi
    So a family member used their Mastercard to purchase some teeth whitener from a particular site. Turns out its a massive scam (a simple google brings back ALOT of info detailing it) and there has been numerous transactions done on he credit card. The bank claim that they will refund these transactions and that there is no point in cancelling the credit card as it wouldnt prevent further transactions from going through.

The bank is taking its god damn timing processing the refunds, and it seems like this is going to continue forever. i.e the bank will refund, then the card will take hit , and another refund ... and so on.... So I want to prevent any further transcations going through, but the bank claims cancelling the card wouldnt prevent this!

Am I missing something?
    I would have thought that once the card is cxd, no more transactions could possibly go through.

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Ask them to cancel the card and issue a new one with a new number as you don't trust the card. Yes, there will be a period when they can use it but after that it is gone for ever (I think the bank means that canceling it will not fix the existing transactions).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

This is the most strangest thing i have ever heard. Your card has been compramised. Either your mis understanding the bank which I doubt it or the bank is negligent.

Cancel your card and have a new one issued,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

iirc from an older thread the only way to stop payment is to close the credit card completely. Your mam has more than likely agreed to pay on a monthly basis for this product. Its a contract and the only way to cancel it is to contact the company. Only way of canceling it is calling them and expect to be on hold ages on a phone line that probably costs upwards of €3 per minute. Its stupid.

<edit>you could be looking at upwards of a month for a refund. Contact them and ask them roughly how long it will take,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

ok thanks very much for the info all.
    Ill pass it on.

Advertisement