Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full Time Study & Disability Allowance?

Options
  • 23-01-2010 3:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I've applied through the CAO as a mature student. I'm just wondering if anyone knows if you can study full time at 3rd level while keeping your DA (Disability Allowance)? I know there is BTEA (Back to Education Allowance) but it would be better for me to stay on DA as I live in Co.Cork and on DA I'd have free bus travel to Cork but on BTEA I'd lose that as far as I know. And travel for me would cost about €220 a month!

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Duncas

:p If you are on DA and you apply for BTEA you will be dealt with by the DA section and not the usual section, and you would be able to keep all your secondary entitlements, including travel pass.
    Also, in the past, whereas any normal social welfare payments were dealt with as means when applying for the Maintenance Grant, again the DA was dealt with differently and not assessed as means.
    I think you should contact the social welfare disability allowance section and someone in their office can tell you all the details (it is a small personal office you probably know already).
    I have to tell you, though, that in the latest budget the govt. decided that people on BTEA would not be entitled to the maintenance grant whatever their means, but I am hoping, once again that we get special treatment once again. Please let me know if you find this out to be true.:confused:
    I am afraid to say, that I don't think they will allow you to do third level education and still acively claim DA.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jano1

Sorry to butt in but do either of you know if you can get DA and attend secondary school at age 16?

Advertisement