Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible plumbing issue

• 23-01-2010 4:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,446 ✭✭✭✭

Query froma user that seems not to have current access.
    I have suddenly got water pouring out of the downspouts in my gutter and there has been no rain today. Everything was fine earlier today. Temp has been about 8/9 degrees al week spo no frost suddenly thawing.

Should I worry? It's Friday evening so no plumbers available until Monday

I live on a high spot so not a problem with run-off to low lying area

I presume one of two things:

1. Blocked gutter has become unblocked. Less likely.
    2. The overflow from the water storage tank has kicked in. More likely.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

I think the best thing to do is turn on both bath taps ,get the water level down a bit in the tank in the attic.
    Then give the ballcock a good shake ,that might stop it.

It sounds like the overflow is brought through a roof tile above the gutter.
    Could be wrong ,but it's worth checking the tank in the attic though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Overflows shouldn't be hidden, the whole idea behind them is to alert attention to homeowner. If attic tank overflowing across roof into gutter then I'd have over flow brought out in a way to draw more of your attention next time it happens.

I've seen some gas boiler safety/overflow located in apartment complex discharged into rain water gutters for safety reasons but this type of gutter down pipe is dedicated for boiler safety, same goes to some storage water over flows, best determine if gutter down pipe is separate from actual gutter.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭granpa

it is probely as other post have said ,an overflow from tanks in roofspace , the idea of an overflow is to cause as much of a nunaince as posible so as owner will get it fixed :D

Advertisement