Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another "jump the shark moment" for Chavez

Options
  • 23-01-2010 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭

given the scale of the disaster his comments that the US caused the Eartquake seem very distasteful to say the least

<EDIT> its not widely reported, so it maybe a non story

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/286145

Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has accused the United States of causing the devastating 7.0 magnitude earthquake in Haiti, which killed possibly 200,000 people. Chavez believes the U.S. was testing a tectonic weapon to produce eco-type devastations.

Last week, Digital Journal reported that the Venezuelan President accused the United States of using Haiti’s earthquake as a pretext to occupy the Caribbean country, and since then the US has deployed thousands of troops to the region to bring law and order.
    Chavez is blaming the US for causing the 7.0 magnitude earthquake in Haiti as part of testing a “tectonic weapon” that can cause eco-type disasters, according to Russia Today. The Latin American leader added that the US should “stop playing God.”
    Chavez said these “weapon earthquakes” would eventually be used against Iran and be taken over by the US military.
    Chavez says these weapons can alter the climate and set off earthquakes and volcanoes remotely through the use of electromagnetic waves..............

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

ouch thats conspiracy theory forum type of ramblings from El Presidento

anyways, did you not get the party memo? Chavez is a good guy apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

*waits patiently for Chavez fans to find a way to support this*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The man is a joke, its just a pity so many can't/won't see it, prefering to think that anyone who is anti-USA must be worth supporting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Smoke and mirrors.

I think this announcement has nothing to do with the US and everything to do with the fact that in the last 48 hours the Chavez government has:

* fast tracked a new rule allowing them to immediately expropriate businesses that adjust their prices due to the devaluation. The government can now do this without any kind of court order or administrative proceedings.

* Threatened to shut down an anti-government cable channel for not showing "government programming" i.e. Chavez's 5 hour ramblings.

The earthquake nonsense is just a distraction from the fact that the regime is actively dismantling what is left of Venezuelan democracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

I'm sceptical.

This would be a bizzare thing for Chavez to say.
    A google search brings up this story being reported by news sources that I'm not familiar with and I don't see it being reported by mainstream media.

Fox news have carried the story but they attribute the comments, not to Chavez, but to a "Chavez Mouthpiece".

I could be wrong, but I smell a rat.

• Advertisement

RussiaToday is not mainstream enough?

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    RussiaToday is not mainstream enough?

No.
    Russia Today are only reporting what some Spanish newspaper has reported.

If this was real, I'd expect to see it widely reported.

Mainstream media have widely reported Chavez' comments on the earthquake (that the US is using the earthquake as a pretext for a US occupation etc.) but are not mentioning the tectonic weapon claim. It doesn't add up for me.

How about you? Are you buying it?

dvpower wrote: »
    I'm sceptical.

This would be a bizzare thing for Chavez to say.
    A google search brings up this story being reported by news sources that I'm not familiar with and I don't see it being reported by mainstream media.

Fox news have carried the story but they attribute the comments, not to Chavez, but to a "Chavez Mouthpiece".

I could be wrong, but I smell a rat.

One of the Spanish newspapers picked up the story earlier this week, but ABC is very conservative. I didn't see it in any of the other papers.

Whether this story is actually true or not, it's sad that it seems completely plausible that Chavez would say something like this; he is no stranger to bizarre statements and proposals.

One of the Spanish newspapers picked up the story earlier this week, but ABC is very conservative. I didn't see it in any of the other papers.

Whether this story is actually true or not, it's sad that it seems completely plausible that Chavez would say something like this; he is no stranger to bizarre statements and proposals.

Yeah. That's the paper that Russia Today are recycling the story from.

I think this claim is too out there, even for Chavez. Having said that, if it was widely reported in reputable media, I'd be prepared to believe it. But its such a good story, if it was true, I'd expect to see it everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Truthrevolution

Although his timing is not ideal, it would be foolish to dismiss the president of an established nation.The corporate controlled media have been ignoring more serious comments from Chavez such as the long term US plans to occupy Haiti,take advantage of its oil resources and the IMF "bailout" which will effectively now own the Haiti manufacturing industry

• Advertisement

dvpower wrote: »
    No.
    Russia Today are only reporting what some Spanish newspaper has reported.

If this was real, I'd expect to see it widely reported.

Mainstream media have widely reported Chavez' comments on the earthquake (that the US is using the earthquake as a pretext for a US occupation etc.) but are not mentioning the tectonic weapon claim. It doesn't add up for me.

How about you? Are you buying it?

Your claiming that is all all conspiracy to make Chavez appear as if he painted a conspiracy

yes clear as mud :P

not the first time that he accused US of crazy stuff

btw this article from Iranian PressTV is interesting ;)http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=116834&sectionid=351020104
    An unconfirmed report by the Russian Northern Fleets says the Haiti earthquake was caused by a flawed US Navy 'earthquake weapons' test before the weapons could be utilized against Iran.

United States Navy test of one of its 'earthquake weapons' which was to be used against Iran, went 'horribly wrong' and caused the catastrophic quake in the Caribbean, the website of Venezuela's ViVe TV recently reported, citing the Russian report.

After the report was released, Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez also made a similar claim, saying that a US drill, carried out in preparation for a deliberate attempt to cause an earthquake in Iran, had led to the deadly incident in Haiti, claiming more than 110,000 lives.

Though Russian Northern Fleets' report was not confirmed by official sources, the comments attracted special attention in some US and Russian media outlets including Fox news and Russia Today.

Russia Today's report said that Moscow has also been accused of possessing and utilizing such weapons.

In 2002, a Georgian Green Party leader claimed that Moscow had instigated an earthquake on Georgian territory, the TV channel said.

According to ViVe, the unconfirmed Russian report says earlier this month the US carried out a similar test in the Pacific Ocean, which also caused another 6.5 magnitude earthquake in an area near the town of Eureka, California.

The California quake resulted in no deaths or serious injury, but left many buildings damaged.

The Venezuelan news website said that the report also introduced the possibility that the US Navy may have had "full knowledge" of the damage that the test could cause.

The report also speculated that knowledge of the possible outcome was why the US military had pre-positioned the deputy commander of US Southern Command, General P. K. Keen, on the island so that he could oversee relief efforts if the need arose.

Based on the alleged report, the ultimate goal of the US weapons tests was to initiate a series of deadly earthquakes in Iran to topple the current Islamic system in the country.

The tests are believed to be part of the United States' High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program (HAARP), which has been associated with many conspiracy theories.

Other than being blamed for earthquakes, HAARP has also been associated with weather anomalies that cause floods, droughts and hurricanes.

Some sources have even linked the 7.8 magnitude quake that shook the Chinese city of Sichuan in May 12, 2008 with the program.

Allegations have been made that since the late 1970's, the US has 'greatly advanced' the state of its earthquake weapons to the point where it is now utilizing devices that employ a Tesla Electromagnetic Pulse, Plasma and Sonic technology, along with 'shockwave bombs.'

Russia has accused the US military of employing such devices in Afghanistan to trigger the devastating 7.2 magnitude earthquake that hit the country back in March, 2002.

In the mid-1990s the Russian State Duma issued a press release on HAARP, which was signed by 90 deputies. The statement said the US was "creating new integral geophysical weapons that may influence the near-Earth medium with high-frequency radio waves."

"The significance of this qualitative leap could be compared to the transition from cold steel to firearms, or from conventional weapons to nuclear weapons.”

“This new type of weapons differ from previous types in that the near-Earth medium becomes at once an object of direct influence and its component,” the statement explained.

In 1997, US Secretary of Defense William Cohen also expressed concern about activities that "can alter the climate, set off earthquakes, volcanoes remotely through the use of electromagnetic waves."

The US government, however, has chosen to stick to its position that HAARP is merely a program aimed at analyzing the Earth's ionosphere for the purpose of developing communications and surveillance technology.

Although his timing is not ideal, it would be foolish to dismiss the president of an established nation.The corporate controlled media have been ignoring more serious comments from Chavez such as the long term US plans to occupy Haiti,take advantage of its oil resources and the IMF "bailout" which will effectively now own the Haiti manufacturing industry

I've seen plenty of articles that reported Chavez's comments about the US "occupation" of Haiti in European newspapers and the Spanish-language press.

If the only major newspaper to report this story was ABC, then I'd question its validity. Since Chavez-friendly websites aren't reporting it then I'd guess that a) he (or someone in the government) never really said it or b) that even if someone did, even supporters of the regime thought it was too bizarre to run with it.

Your claiming that is all all conspiracy to make Chavez appear as if he painted a conspiracy

yes clear as mud :P

I don't think there is any conspiracy at all.
    A right wing Spanish newspaper print a nonsense story - nothing unusual about that; lazy newspapers print rubbish all of the time. Russia Today report on that report and DigitalJournal report on the Russia Today piece. Boards posters who dislike Chavez (and for good reason) suspend their critical faculties when they see a story that is critical of him.

Basically, there's nothing to see here.

btw this article from Iranian PressTV is interesting ;)http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=116834&sectionid=351020104

We have a whole separate forum for that kind of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

Are their any clips of Chavez actually saying this? Can anyone who understands Spanish confirm that Chavez made these accusations? I personally hate Chavez but I can't believe he said something this silly.

SLUSK wrote: »
    Are their any clips of Chavez actually saying this? Can anyone who understands Spanish confirm that Chavez made these accusations? I personally hate Chavez but I can't believe he said something this silly.

i wouldnt put it past him

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article6999028.ece
    In a co-ordinated attack, the leaders of Bolivia, Nicaragua and Venezuela accused Washington of staging a military invasion.

Evo Morales, the President of Bolivia, said he would request an emergency UN meeting “to repudiate and reject this military occupation of the United States in Haiti".

"It’s not right that the United States should use this natural disaster to invade and militarily occupy Haiti,” he said. “If you have all these problems with the injured and the dead from the earthquake, you have to go there to save lives, and you don’t do that from a military standpoint."

Hugo Chavez, the Venezuelan President, added: “They brazenly occupied Haiti without consulting the UN or the OAS (Organization of American States)."

lets not forget that this is a country where they are shooting aid workers making it hard for them to do their job of rescuing and feeding people

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/01/21/haiti.orphanages.attacks/?hpt=Sbin
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/centralamericaandthecaribbean/haiti/7010543/Haiti-earthquake-criminal-gangs-return-to-rule-slums-after-escaping-from-prison.html

its rather sick to see that Chavez is the one using this disaster for political point scoring

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

fair points, I added a little disclaimer for now.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Considering that the ABC article opened with "The anti-American government of Venezuela, in its habitual paranoia against Yankee imperialism..." I'm not sure that they are very objective :rolleyes:.

There is nothing on the Venezuelan government's webpage about this. There was another website which had a video, but whoever posted it didn't speak Spanish, because he didn't say anything about the US. I think if Chavez or someone in the government had really said this and believed it, it would be on their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

its rather sick to see that Chavez is the one using this disaster for political point scoring

You're right, he's such a prick going in there with his army, holding up aid so that more troops can be deployed first, parachuting troops into the presidential palace... oh wait.

I wasn't going to comment on this as it seems to be the usual non story of a right wing source and a purposively dodgy translation that we've seen used again and again with left wing South American leaders, but the idea that Chavez is the one trying to score points here was just too ridiculous to let pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

i wouldnt put it past him

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article6999028.ece

lets not forget that this is a country where they are shooting aid workers making it hard for them to do their job of rescuing and feeding people

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/01/21/haiti.orphanages.attacks/?hpt=Sbin
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/centralamericaandthecaribbean/haiti/7010543/Haiti-earthquake-criminal-gangs-return-to-rule-slums-after-escaping-from-prison.html

As far as I know I cannot find sources to prove that Chavez said America caused the earthquake in Haiti which this thread was about.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

You're right, he's such a prick going in there with his army, holding up aid so that more troops can be deployed first, parachuting troops into the presidential palace... oh wait.

I wasn't going to comment on this as it seems to be the usual non story of a right wing source and a purposively dodgy translation that we've seen used again and again with left wing South American leaders, but the idea that Chavez is the one trying to score points here was just too ridiculous to let pass.

Russia Today is right wing? :confused:

• Advertisement

why doesn't he send security personnel? Haiti was one of the most violent places in world even in "best" of times

the aidworkers (and the locals for that matter) could use with more security (and Venezuela also has people there now helping) about now, having gangs roam and make advantage of the anarchy by stealing from already starving children is not on

if anything the UN should have been calling a mission by now, but UN are terribly slow at organizing anything

As far as I know I cannot find sources to prove that Chavez said America caused the earthquake in Haiti which this thread was about.

your correct in that, and the OP has edited things ;)

now the conversation has moved on to why Chavez is making farting noises about other countries trying to help Haiti (and hence why i wouldnt put it past him to say something as silly as the op article claims)

nesf wrote: »
    Russia Today is right wing? :confused:

Russia Today were just reporting what was reported by abc.es. They are right wing.
    now the conversation has moved on to why Chavez is making farting noises about other countries trying to help Haiti
    Because he's an a**hole.

why doesn't he send security personnel? Haiti was one of the most violent places in world even in "best" of times

the aidworkers (and the locals for that matter) could use with more security (and Venezuela also has people there now helping) about now, having gangs roam and make advantage of the anarchy by stealing from already starving children is not on

if anything the UN should have been calling a mission by now, but UN are terribly slow at organizing anything

The idea that they are holding back aid as a result of gang violence is yet another media manipulated story.Reports on the ground in Haiti are saying that there is very little violence, just aggrivated people trying to get fed.The reality is that the UN have failed to prepare properly for this disaster and are using the "violence" as an excuse for the delaying of food and supplies

The idea that they are holding back aid as a result of gang violence is yet another media manipulated story

do you have any facts to support this conspiracy theory of yours?
    its also sad to see a moderator agreeing with you,

i supplied news reports to support my side of story
    that certain violent elements (the prison collapsed with some dangerous prisoners escaping) in one of the already most violent countries in world are interfering with aid operations

heres one from earlier today
    http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=10/01/23/0230224
    amateur radio hams shot at while trying to setup emergency communication equipment
    one dead

is that conspiracy theory too :rolleyes:? in order to make Chavez or Haitians look bad?

heres reports of more people who are trying to help getting shot > http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/16/dominican-aid-workers-sho_n_426067.html

oh and are the Canadians also trying to "occupy" Haiti? > http://www.owensoundsuntimes.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2265531
    The Canadian military is poised to assume control of a swathe of southern Haiti, including the major seaside city of Jacmel, according to military sources here.
    well that throws a spanner in US invasion conspiracy theory

Reports on the ground in Haiti are saying that there is very little violence, just aggrivated people trying to get fed.The reality is that the UN have failed to prepare properly for this disaster and are using the "violence" as an excuse for the delaying of food and supplies

its all peaceful in Haiti

there are no looters attacking aid centers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

You got to love chevez. He even gets attributes to quotes he has yet to publish. I guess the u s will get very annoyed and stop buying his oil now.

Oh wait......

• Registered Users Posts: 83,349 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The idea that they are holding back aid as a result of gang violence is yet another media manipulated story.Reports on the ground in Haiti are saying that there is very little violence, just aggrivated people trying to get fed.The reality is that the UN have failed to prepare properly for this disaster and are using the "violence" as an excuse for the delaying of food and supplies
    The Associated Press disagrees

More from ITN News

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Chavez is a bit of a clown - typical raving el Presidente type. Happily I live many thousands of miles from Venezeula so I dont have to suffer the consequences of the rabid support he was given by others as he destroyed constitutional democracy in Venezeula. Happily for the majority of them, they also live many thousands of miles from Venezeula.

I guess the only losers are Venezeulans who have been ground down into quasi-slavery in a charismatic dictatorship and are suffering massive electricity rationing ( in a country blessed with massive oil reserves) as the economic incompetence underlying socialism comes home to roost.

I wonder though - If Chavez was to lose the next election, does anyone think he would admit it and go quietly? Having already prepared by creating and arming party militias to defend the revolution?

Of course it seems a little crazy for Chavez to rave on about sekrit US earthquake weapons. But this is Chavez. The same man who predicted a massive US invasion of Venezeula....any second now. And also declared war on golf, and has every turn attempted to polarise Venezeula and create and stoke internal conflict so as to better cement his own power. The guy is a clown. Even the most stalwart socialist is a little embarrassed to be associated with him these days.

Ok have read the articles and watched the videos, still no real evidence of violence other than a bit of pushing and shoving for food supplies..........
    Heres an account of whats happening on the ground from an aid worker

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/jan/20/haiti-aid-agency-security

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,349 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ok have read the articles and watched the videos, still no real evidence of violence other than a bit of pushing and shoving for food supplies..........
    Heres an account of whats happening on the ground from an aid worker

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/jan/20/haiti-aid-agency-security
    ......And violently beating people to a pulp with no evident signs of remorse.

Advertisement