Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Events Management, DT413

Options
  • 23-01-2010 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi,is anyone doing this course? Im interested in hearing about it, if you like it,the hours,or any other information etc ?
    Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MeetReality

Just going into 2nd Semester of First Year and love the course.

In first year you have to do 200 hours work experience I know it seems extremely daunting but it is a great experience to get in your first year. In the first semester of 1st year you do Management, Communications, Computer Applications, Event Industry Studies, Event Operations (basically got to do with the work experience) and either French/German/Spanish/Irish. 2nd semester you do Economics, Accounting, Marketing (these three are taught from a beginners level so no need to worry), Communications and a Language.
    The first semester we had 16 hours a week and no college Fridays, think it is a similar situation for the 2nd semester.

In 2nd year you have to plan and run your own event, in 3rd year you do a 6 month work placement, not to sure on any specs for 4th year.

If you want to know anymore just send me a PM :)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭fonzy157

Thanks a mill for your reply. The course sounds really interesting, think ill apply for it!
    I'll be a mature student, is there many mature students in your year?Not really concerned about that but just curious!
    Do you do exams at xmas and the summer?

Ya it is a really interesting course, but I feel alot of people wer euner the impression they would be putting on events after the first week. If your not willing to work you wont be cut out for the course.

There are 3 mature students this year but there is a wide age range in the class, most of us are 18/19 but like there a good few who are 20+.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭isabell

hey
    id like go for event management as well :)
    could you tell me a bit more about work experience in the first year? in what kind are you had your work exp.?
    and what about level of language? is it just basic or maybe something more than leaving cert?
    and teachers? are they good? :D

You don't do your 200 hours work experience with one employer, you basically have to find it yourself but usually the head of the course gives you contacts for people looking for people to work on events etc she also provides you with a list of companies etc in your first week. I have worked on a range of events such as two Business conferences, work for concert promoters in Dublin, promotional work etc and am working the Temple Bar Trad Fest this week and waiting on corespondance to see did I get a place to work at the Jameson Film Festival, also when the 2nd years are running their events they look for ye to work them, I would highly recomend this as they were in your position last year and are more than willing to give you extra hours to meet your target hours.

Well I'm doing French and it is started at a basic level, if you have a good command on French you will fly through the first semester, for example from talking to 2nd years you need to do a presentation in French in the second year, but I wouldnt let the language part turn you off the course.

Well the lecturers are good, the Management module in first semester is really interesting and the lecturer was one of my favourites, I would advise on external reading on topics just to make sure you fully comprehend them before the exams.

• Advertisement

thanks meetR :)
    the course sounds really good :)
    i wanted try to get some event experience at jameson film festival too (as im 'mature student' and wanted put about it in my papers for DIT) but i missd the dead line for applications :mad:
    well anyway 'there' in september :D

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭asomeday

i'm a 4th year student and have a few points for you to note:
    • you don't get jobs like Heidi from the hills in your work experience{you may be just cold calling for 2days}
    • 3rd & 4th year are difficult {lots of group assignments} and you must remember that your degree grade is based on your average for most modules {don't be lazy}
    • its very very business related & you have to do some of your own work on the events side of things
    • you will have some brilliant teachers & some not-so-brilliant
    • there will be lots of people who have no interest in being involved in events after they get their degree
    If you are hard-working, independent & have some initiative it's brilliant.

good luck

asomeday wrote: »
    i'm a 4th year student and have a few points for you to note:
    • you don't get jobs like Heidi from the hills in your work experience{you may be just cold calling for 2days}
    • 3rd & 4th year are difficult {lots of group assignments} and you must remember that your degree grade is based on your average for most modules {don't be lazy}
    • its very very business related & you have to do some of your own work on the events side of things
    • you will have some brilliant teachers & some not-so-brilliant
    • there will be lots of people who have no interest in being involved in events after they get their degree
    If you are hard-working, independent & have some initiative it's brilliant.

good luck

hey!
    great that somebody says all this things :D I have to say I never thought it will be an easy degree. I do know there is plenty of business and I dont mind ;)
    could you tell me how with hours in 3rd and 4rh year? is there still only about 20 hours per week?
    oh and one more thing.... do you know anything about event management degree in DKIT maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ETGW

Hi Lads sorry for bumping the thread.

I was looking at doing this course..but I'm afaird I wont get the points for it. I seen that you can enter it in 3rd year if you have a level 7 from another course. so I guess i am wondering what are the feeder courses into DT413 or do you of any other alternatives or similar courses in dublin..?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 gaahurling

hi, could anyone answer this last question, its mine too? thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 meesh140

ETGW wrote: »
    Hi Lads sorry for bumping the thread.

I was looking at doing this course..but I'm afaird I wont get the points for it. I seen that you can enter it in 3rd year if you have a level 7 from another course. so I guess i am wondering what are the feeder courses into DT413 or do you of any other alternatives or similar courses in dublin..?:)

I'm looking into this course too, I emailed the school and mentioned about the dkit course and if it would be possible to move into 3rd year after dkit
    they said they will base it on your results...
    but they do take people in
    theres very few events management courses in the country so id say DKIT would be fine as a stepping stone if you dont get the points

• Registered Users Posts: 34 gaahurling

hi. am very interested in this course.. Based on how the exams are going i cant see myself getting enough points for it.. Is there a lover level course and then switch into this course after a yr of two.. thanks

Advertisement